29%
pfoot
11%
ThePain
3%

Total votes : 94

Map Battle 31 - Vote & Final Images

Postby Jest@ on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 pm

As you all already know, 904 and I are clearly smarter than the rest of you; that's why this time round we didn't trust you to come up with your own ideas :P. So this time round we gave you a fixed starting point in the form of a template to work from, with the theme of Gate:

The entrants have risen to the challenge beautifully, finding great ways to work with (or around) the limitations and create scenes that are unique but share a common frame of reference.

We are benevolent rulers, so despite our infinite wisdom we'll give you, the huddled masses, the final say in who wins (we're still convinced this whole democracy thing is a fad) - so pick your winner and give them your vote!

Remember, the criteria for voting isn't really fixed; it's basically whichever scene you find most compelling aesthetically - whether it be for the idea, the creative use of the template, the overall atmosphere, the skilful execution, etc. Pick the one you like best and select them above!

Thanks to everyone who took part, and a big Hello to all our new entrants! No rest for the wicked, though; we expect to see you working hard at the coalface again soon. That's right, a new map battle will begin tomorrow evening.

On with the images! As always, you can also view them in web2.0 goodness at the photobucket album.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

.:20fluids:.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

BubbleQ

dr_doak

JakeB

jangalompf

meshed

Noodles

Notary

pfoot

ThePain

Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Map Battle 31 - Vote & Final Images

Postby meshed on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 pm

looking good pfoot. Yours really caught my eye.
meshed
Regular
Regular

Postby Noodles on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:14 pm

does jangalomph not count cos you spelt his name wrong? ;) :P
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Sathor on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:38 pm

To be honest, I am not really impressed by all of the entries. I think most look a bit rushed or unfinished. My vote goes to notary - which looks unfinished, too. I like the style and general work. The lightning is rather bland, but well. I like Noodles entry, too, but you just CAN'T use this stone texture for the arch. I mean, I used it in 2004 when I first fired up Hammer ... the floor texture is nice, though.

Congrats too all :D
Sathor

Postby ad_hominem on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:39 pm

A couple of these seem to have removed the smaller arch from the template (904 and pfoot, as far as I can see), was that allowed?

Anyway, voted for jangalomph, because his looked best. Nice and simple (my choice, not his map).
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Die-Hard-Ed on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:52 pm

I voted for Noodles. It gave me a sense of peace, which i liked. I might well have voted for dr_doak had he been able to finish it. It looked like it was going somewhere good.

Good entries everyone.
Die-Hard-Ed

Postby Habboi on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Voted for Notary. Can't be bothered to review these as they aren't all that great. Lighting really lets them down.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 1447 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:34 pm

I voted for Notary, because the brushwork is pure awesome, with JangalompFFFF on second place.
GG GUYZ.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Holy Socks on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:50 pm

I voted for Jangalompf, but it was a really hard choice between him and Notary, overall I think Jangalompf's entry was more finished than the others and seems like something that you could stumble across in a good single player level.

I was also wondering where the full template was in 904's entry until I saw the end of the bridge, which I thought was quite a nice touch.
Holy Socks

Postby Noodles on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Sathor wrote:but you just CAN'T use this stone texture for the arch. I mean, I used it in 2004 when I first fired up Hammer ...

Heh, it just happened to be one that fit in with the colours I wanted to use and could mix up to get the border at the top looking nice, that's all.
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby korge on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:33 pm

i voted jango. I like the atmosphere and the somewhat "close" to finished look.
zombie@computer wrote:Thank god the government knows best.
korge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby pfoot on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:39 pm

meshed wrote:looking good pfoot. Yours really caught my eye.

Thanks. Most be color correction.

But I don't have a chance compared to yours :)
pfoot
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:24 pm

cannot........resist......the....call....of....the..... WINDMILLS!
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby blarg on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:03 pm

My vote went to meshed.
blarg

Postby Generalvivi on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:13 pm

I see a lot of maps but half of their screenshots are focused on other parts of the map or the arch is just a side piece when it should be the focus. It was hard to vote...
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Next

Return to Design Section