Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Phott on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Can't reach it either. I don't really know how to mount the gcf.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Elv02 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Phott wrote:Can't reach it either. I don't really know how to mount the gcf.

Pretty sure mounting the gcf isn't the way to get the materials. But to do it, it's something like, Tools>Options, and then add a new .gcf in the list near the top. Sorry this is so brief, I'll post a better explanation later if I can.

As for if it DOESN'T work, try extracting all the stuff from the ep2 gcf using GCFscape into the tf2 folders.
"Hello, again, and welcome to the Interlopers Enrichment Center. Your account has been proccesed. Please proceed into 'section name, here' and we will start the test...
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Wenceslas on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm going to do this ^^
I've a lot of ideas for my mod, and it's a perfect theme for trying them !
Aus_Karlos and Elv02, what a beautiful work ! it's awesome !
good luck all.
Wenceslas

Postby Mess on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:23 pm

abandonment doesn't necessarily mean decay and destruction, chaps. My voting-finger wants more imagination with this theme.
Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Armageddon on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Phott wrote:
waisted menkey wrote:i presumed because it didn't just fall straight down, but at some type of an angle so it hit the ground and slid through the house. i didn't try to logic it out too much.

You are correct, I've added some more stuff to make it look like the rocket "slided" on the ground after the impact which was further away from the house. That's why the holes are almost equally big on both sides.

Looks like the rocket dipped down then back up and back down. :|
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby waisted menkey on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:20 pm

Mess wrote:abandonment doesn't necessarily mean decay and destruction, chaps. My voting-finger wants more imagination with this theme.

w3rd
{insert signature here}
waisted menkey
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby 904 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Mess wrote:abandonment doesn't necessarily mean decay and destruction, chaps. My voting-finger wants more imagination with this theme.

Exactly.
Design Section Moderator

Postby Phott on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks alot for the crits, lowered the walls in the house to make it look more like the rocket just slideed right through sort of. I'm adding some trees around and will be adding a skybox soon. Still playing with the lighting.

Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 904 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:54 pm

I like your idea phott, but something tells me that a wooden house would be decimated if a rocket hit it ;)
caseyw wrote:So we're allowed to use ep2 props? If so, that just made my day.

Of course, didn't you read the rules?
first page of this thread wrote:All the usual rules apply: Three screenshots max; from an official Valve Source engine game; custom content more than welcome. You can find the full rules here.
Design Section Moderator

Postby Phott on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:01 pm

904 wrote:I like your idea phott, but something tells me that a wooden house would be decimated if a rocket hit it ;)

Makes sense, I'm gonna see if I can do something about that. ^^
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:05 pm

904 wrote:Mount the ep2 gcf, see http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... er_Content.
I can't seem to reach the valvesoftware site atm, but it is in there somewhere.
Code: Select all
Attention: The Valve Developer Community site has gone through a major upgrade. All editors should read the Release Notes before posting.
Database error
From Valve Developer Community
Jump to: navigation, search
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "". MySQL returned error "1205: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction (localhost)".
A good ole MySQL lock. Took interlopers down a few days ago.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby 904 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:49 pm

Drew something during a meeting earlier this week, and while it was more a thought on how the meeting went ;) the abandonment theme was lurking in the back of my head..
I might develop this into an entry..
Design Section Moderator

Postby Australian Bushman on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:07 am

I'm just using Hammer with the Orange Box / Ep 2 game. How can I add models and textures from other games (HL2, Ep1, CS...) to my map?

Right now I'm extracting copies of the files from the gcf's to my username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2 folders, but that's pretty time consuming and wastes space.

Is there any easy way to mount or 'include' other gcf's into Hammer?

I don't wanna go through .cpp files and have to download all that software for the SDK.

Or is it just easiest to Make a Mod... ?
Australian Bushman
Regular
Regular

Postby Pink Panther on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:55 pm

Australian Bushman wrote:I'm just using Hammer with the Orange Box / Ep 2 game. How can I add models and textures from other games (HL2, Ep1, CS...) to my map?

Right now I'm extracting copies of the files from the gcf's to my username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2 folders, but that's pretty time consuming and wastes space.

Is there any easy way to mount or 'include' other gcf's into Hammer?

I don't wanna go through .cpp files and have to download all that software for the SDK.

Or is it just easiest to Make a Mod... ?

Adding content to a custom mod via coding isn't an easier solution, from my experience you can only mount three games' content at a time. So it's really just easier (even though you're filling your harddrive with duplicates) to extract the models/materials you want and then relocate them to whatever app/mod you're using.
"Here we go again..."
Pink Panther
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Aus_Karlos on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:25 am

Bloody valve with the latest OB engine update i can no longer run HL2 EP2, it crashes on load... It might be my drivers anyone else experiencing this.

Edit: Ive also changed my theme around, as there was limited textures and props for a drought theme and i can't model to save my life ive changed it into an abandoned cottage, The reason was just the lack of what we all call basic essentials like Electricity and running water.
I'll post pics in a bit its compiling atm.
Under Construction
mg_sawI
Aus_Karlos
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section