Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Phott on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:54 am

Berusadeankan, it looks pretty nice, but I see nothing in those images explaining why it's been abandoned apart from the building being broken.
User avatar
Phott
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby joe_dirt976 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 pm

heres a little something i whipped together in the past couple of days,
Image
Image
Image
i'm going for urban decay, a neighborhood forgotten by time, slowly being digested by new condos, shopping centers, and well, it wouldn't be me if i didn't include a highway somewhere.
oh, and to avoid any conflicts with textures etc.. i used l4d for my engine
Image
Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
User avatar
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot
 
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:47 pm
Location: USA

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Megadude on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:53 pm

It's not really abandoned though - there's a person on the right hand side of the 2nd pic. Forgotten by some, but I don't think it shows abandoned.
Wrathborne 711 wrote:OH MY GOD.........MEXICANS!


Image

End of Humanity - beta version 3.0 released!
User avatar
Megadude
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Berusadeankan on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Phott wrote:Berusadeankan, it looks pretty nice, but I see nothing in those images explaining why it's been abandoned apart from the building being broken.


I'm planning on adding either an homeless guy sleeping there, or trying to make it look like an abandoned factory cause of some... radioactive leak? :E
Berusadeankan
Regular
Regular
 
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Shred on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Megadude wrote:It's not really abandoned though - there's a person on the right hand side of the 2nd pic. Forgotten by some, but I don't think it shows abandoned.


Nah I disagree, I think a downtrodden suburbia is a good example of abandonment. Abandoned by the government, abandoned by the public.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade, take a piss in it, and serve it to the people that you hate.
User avatar
Shred
Regular
Regular
 
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Phott on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Shred wrote:
Megadude wrote:It's not really abandoned though - there's a person on the right hand side of the 2nd pic. Forgotten by some, but I don't think it shows abandoned.


Nah I disagree, I think a downtrodden suburbia is a good example of abandonment. Abandoned by the government, abandoned by the public.

I agree.
We are all going to have different opinions as to what abandonment really is.
User avatar
Phott
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby joe_dirt976 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Phott wrote:
Shred wrote:
Megadude wrote:It's not really abandoned though - there's a person on the right hand side of the 2nd pic. Forgotten by some, but I don't think it shows abandoned.


Nah I disagree, I think a downtrodden suburbia is a good example of abandonment. Abandoned by the government, abandoned by the public.

I agree.
We are all going to have different opinions as to what abandonment really is.


Thank you for getting my concept, honestly I feel like its the best asthetic peice i've done to date, but heres the last screen for a few days. And the guy on the ground is supped to be homeless, but i was too lazy to change the bottle next to him into a prop_physics therefore not showing up. lol

click on picture to see it in full size
Image
Image
Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
User avatar
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot
 
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:47 pm
Location: USA

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby source-maps on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:44 pm

joe_dirt976 wrote:
Phott wrote:
Shred wrote:
Megadude wrote:It's not really abandoned though - there's a person on the right hand side of the 2nd pic. Forgotten by some, but I don't think it shows abandoned.


Nah I disagree, I think a downtrodden suburbia is a good example of abandonment. Abandoned by the government, abandoned by the public.

I agree.
We are all going to have different opinions as to what abandonment really is.


Thank you for getting my concept, honestly I feel like its the best asthetic peice i've done to date, but heres the last screen for a few days. And the guy on the ground is supped to be homeless, but i was too lazy to change the bottle next to him into a prop_physics therefore not showing up. lol

click on picture to see it in full size
Image


it looks awsome man, you should include this scene in your L4D Campaign
Last edited by source-maps on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Chrille on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:56 pm

joe_dirt976 wrote:
Phott wrote:
Shred wrote:
Megadude wrote:It's not really abandoned though - there's a person on the right hand side of the 2nd pic. Forgotten by some, but I don't think it shows abandoned.


Nah I disagree, I think a downtrodden suburbia is a good example of abandonment. Abandoned by the government, abandoned by the public.

I agree.
We are all going to have different opinions as to what abandonment really is.


Thank you for getting my concept, honestly I feel like its the best asthetic peice i've done to date, but heres the last screen for a few days. And the guy on the ground is supped to be homeless, but i was too lazy to change the bottle next to him into a prop_physics therefore not showing up. lol

click on picture to see it in full size
Image


:shock:
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby punky on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Seriously Joe, you and photo-realistic environments go hand in hand, if I showed your screens to someone that doesn't make maps in source very often he would believe that those were photographs!
only thing I can see right now that should be changed is that the roof of the building with all the grafitti is too flat...
Image
User avatar
punky
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Finally, I have wips. I hope you guys like these quick ones.

I know they are dark. but what ever.

Image
Image

Here is like a sink hole.

Image


Image
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
User avatar
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: Sumter, SC

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby joe_dirt976 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:47 pm

okay i lied earlier, 2 more screens and no more till submission.

crazy thing is, i didn't draw this on paper, i made it as i went along
Click to enlage 1280x1024
Image
Click to enlage 1280x1024
Image
Attachments
underpass0009.jpg
(401.54 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
underpass0014.jpg
(484.73 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
underpass0016.jpg
(467.34 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by joe_dirt976 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
User avatar
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot
 
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:47 pm
Location: USA

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Psy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:56 pm

That's very awesome.
User avatar
Psy
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby srredfire on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Fuck yeah Joe. That's awesome as hell.
User avatar
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Habboi on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Out of curiosity, is that in the L4D engine? The grainy effect makes me think yes. Really looks nice thanks to the cars and the custom shop textures.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
User avatar
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:52 pm
PreviousNext

Return to Design Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users