No votes
Shred
3%
Zipfinator
14%

Total votes : 102

Re: Map Battle 33 - Vote & Final Images

Postby AlexCrafter on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 am

Voted for Phott, Joe dirt, excellent level design but I'm really not seeing the abandonment.
AlexCrafter
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ThePain on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:18 am

I've read through most of the previous battles and these are easily some of the greatest pictures I've ever seen.

I really wanted to vote for Joe Dirt, but 3Dnj just got the Silent Hill experience perfectly.

These are amazing though, everyone should be damn proud and I am currently kicking myself repeatedly for not submitting anything this time.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby notoorjus on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Joe Dirt was the obvious winner. He was brave enough to break free from the patethic "Oh look, it's dark, bland and empty" idea that pops into peoples heads when they hear "abandonment". Would love to see that as an Insurgency map! :)
notoorjus
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby vcool on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Insurgency?

Wait, what?

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dissonance on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:02 pm

Yeah, it would totally work.
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:22 am

I actually thought Joe-Dirt(e)'s skybox was nice and fitting. It was a little grainy in places(due to spectral clouds I assume) but it looked good to me.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby vcool on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:00 am

Yeah, upon review I also noticed that it would make a nice urban assault type map. I still don't really understand how it fits into Insurgency? I admit that I have only played the first releases which primarily had Middle Eastern settings, so I don't know if maps with a more western direction appear in the current release.

As for me, I have not yet decided who I am voting for.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RabbiVole on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:16 am

I've been following this battle and the Interlopers forum in general for a long time and decided that I had to go ahead and register to vote in this one.

I really feel like the average level of quality across all the entries was great this time around. Makes it awfully hard to decide- wish I still had 3 votes. :V

I had to go with joe_dirt's entry in the end. It's mechanically and visually phenomenal, and as somebody who's activist-minded, the idea of the inner city being abandoned by society lies close to my heart. I'm still blown away by many of the other submissions; the construction in Aus_Karlos' is really impressive.

I really liked Shred's concept, and felt that it was a creative take on 'abandonment', but I would have liked to see it fleshed out a little more.

Australian Bushman, I wanted to ask you- were the props in your entry custom-made? One or two of them feel familiar. Regardless of where they came from, I really like the way they contrast with the sand and dust outside the room.
RabbiVole
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby stoopdapoop on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:21 am

oh snap, these are some great entries. But I gotta give it to joe dirt.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Australian Bushman on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:07 am

RabbiVole wrote:Australian Bushman, I wanted to ask you- were the props in your entry custom-made? One or two of them feel familiar. Regardless of where they came from, I really like the way they contrast with the sand and dust outside the room.

No custom content - the models and textures were from the HL2 series, CS and L4D. Most of the nice-looking models are from L4D.

Thanks for the complement too, that contrast was one of my aims. I would have liked it to look more surreal though.
Australian Bushman
Regular
Regular

Postby 904 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:05 am

For a moment there was a four-way tie for seconds place with 9 votes, but now Zipfinator has a slight advantage. I'll keep this thread open for a few days more, just to get those last few votes.
Design Section Moderator

Postby Daz on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 pm

My vote goes to Zipfinator, his images give me the feeling that this place was abandoned in a hurry, like they drilled up something awful from beneath the surface and ran for their lives!

Very nice collection though, Aus_Karlos and joe_dirt976 get special mentions in particular for the general polish and detail lavished onto their entries!

This was my 1st map battle entry and enjoyed it very much, so thank you all for the opportunity and thank you to the people that voted, I am looking forward to the next one.
Daz

Postby Holy Socks on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Everytime I've looked at this I haven't voted because all the entries are so damn good, and choosing between, Aus Karlos, 3Dnj, Joe dirt, Phott and Zipfinator was next to impossible, finally voted for joe dirt's entry as I really couldnt pick between the 3 that were tied.
Holy Socks

Postby Phott on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the votes. :D joe_dirt got a well deserved victory.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 904 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Alright. Big thanks to all entrants & voters.

I'll update the scores later this week.

cya for the next battle.
Design Section Moderator

Previous

Return to Design Section