Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: Map Battles - Suggestions Part 2

Postby Fedora on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:34 am

Make everything out of one material. e.g. wood, metal, stone

Urban beauty

Simplicity

Religion

The Boss Fight map (i.e. map the place where you think you would fight the boss)

"How it ends"
I livestream and do hardcore play-by-play analysis of my mapping.
[Been on hiatus due to technical difficulties - starting again soon]
Fedora
Regular
Regular

Postby The Doctor on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 am

Armageddon wrote:Cyberpunk Template would be fun
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:05 pm

I concurr with templates.
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby 904 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Ok, template will make a comeback in battle 48, I have no time to create one today.
Design Section Moderator

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 pm

I think the themes are starting to get better again, they were kind of shitty when Banter did them but now they are picking up a bit again. A good mix of esoteric and then standard mapping. Even if I didn't like the lair theme people did get creative with it.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 904 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 am

^ in the end it's the creativity that makes or breaks a battle, the theme is just a guide to push in a general direction.
Design Section Moderator

Postby windlab on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:20 am

Mighty Monk wrote:Man, although I haven't posted on this site on aaaages, I do frequently check up on the Map Battle's, and I have to say I'm really disappointed in what's been happening with them lately.

The way I see it is, either it is the format of the battle's that are causing the quite obvious lack of interest, or it's the actual use of Source, being old and not allowing for anything "new", as such. Or it could be a combo of the two.

Either way, sigh, everybody should work together to sort this out!

It's not the usage of Source, that's still popular; however, people are posting on other forums by preference, you only have to see how much of the pimpage thread is repeated verbatim elsewhere.

Could the Map Battles be given greater publicity? How about putting them on the front page as a news item each time? That's how other websites treat something like this. After all, Interlopers is supposed to be about mapping, not just repeating various Source-related news.
windlab
Regular
Regular

Postby 904 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:23 am

Having a strong internal debate here, wether or not I should even bother to create a template..
Design Section Moderator

Postby HotFuzz on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:44 pm

I would like to see, everyones rendition of the entrance to hell!

Like the tunnel or path leading into the darkness. What is hell really like?

Is it really flames and demons and tortured souls? or is it just black, industrial endlessness

People eating other people! What do you think the entrance to hell looks like?
HotFuzz
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:06 pm

I think it looks like nothing, just like the rest of the "afterlife". Being atheist, I don't have much to look forward to after I am dead.

We really need a good map battle, it seems like people are loosing interest in some of the recent ones.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Whark on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Mighty Monk wrote:
It's not the usage of Source, that's still popular; however, people are posting on other forums by preference, you only have to see how much of the pimpage thread is repeated verbatim elsewhere.

Could the Map Battles be given greater publicity? How about putting them on the front page as a news item each time? That's how other websites treat something like this. After all, Interlopers is supposed to be about mapping, not just repeating various Source-related news.

Well, know that the TF2 Artpass contest just ended. That kept me too busy to participate over the past couple of months. And I just found out about these map battles you guys have as I came from doing Unreal related stuff and didn't know the Source community well. One thing is certain, I found this map battle thread and had hell of a time finding it again. Maybe having it in a accessible place is a step in the right direction.

As far as theme goes, professionals have to work with constraints, part of the challenge is staying within them while staying creative, so a theme could be: teddy bears for all I care :D

I'd like to participate in the next one depending on what other side stuff I get in involved with.

Its a cool thing you have going here.
Whark
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby ThePain on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Make it a template battle.

Put it on the front page to announce it.

Put the top 3 winners and their images on the front page once the contest is over.

consider this my idea on map battle CPR.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Echo51 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:25 am

BLOCKS, gentlemen, blocks... everything, must have 8 vertexes and 6 sides, no non-squarelike geomotry.

or maybe a set of prebuild templates/prefabs you have to copy/pasta to make a map of?

template battle does sound cool, have some central object you must build the scene around i guess? ;)
Source is my way of life, if i didn't have it, i'd be tearing down walls and altering my house all the time.
"NEEDS MORE SPACE"
*creates 32kx32k brush for floor*
Echo51
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby 904 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:18 pm

haven't gotten around to installing steam+source sdk yet, so no template. Mostly due to the fact that I've had an accident and now I'm being kept together with some titanium screws.. Maybe later this week.
Design Section Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section