Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

What map best depicts the song?

evochinima
14
15%
bekey
3
3%
Furling
26
29%
Oilcake
25
27%
Spas-12
23
25%
 
Total votes : 91

Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby 904 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:33 pm

evochinima
Hurt by Johnny Cash
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ ... re=related
Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/track/5VFzIzR8nACf9Bad4O73f6 (recommended)
Image


bekey
Prodigy - Invaders must die
Image
Image
Image


Furling
Billy Talent- Fallen leaves
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRtMTfZlIU
Image
Image


Oilcake
All Souls Night by Loreena McKennitt
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qQHlWkSM_o
Lyrics: http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/lm/lorecd41.html
Image
Image
Image


Spas-12
The Rolling Stones - paint it black
Image

Some interesting entries, thanks to all entrants.
A lot of people wanted to get into this battle, but I guess the holidays/exams/whatever got in the way somehow.

Take a time to vote and stick around for the start of the next battle, which will start early next year and will be stage 2 of the atrium battle.

Cheers!
904
Design Section Moderator
 
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:26 pm
Location: Gitmo-nation Lowlands

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby source-maps on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:42 pm

voted for evochinima
User avatar
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby Spas12 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Oilcake gets my vote.
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: trapped in level-design factory, send help

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby Armageddon on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 pm

Spas12 gets my vote.
User avatar
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:53 am

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby Phott on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:05 am

Tough choice, for me it was either Oilcake or Furling, and my vote goes to Furling. It has nice atmosphere.
User avatar
Phott
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby ReservoirWOLF on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:05 am

i really liked spas' but i voted for furling's
Image
User avatar
ReservoirWOLF
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:38 am
Location: Center of The Earth

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby srredfire on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:30 am

Listening to the songs while staring at the pictures, I really don't see much relation in terms of emotion or feeling. Oilcake gets the vote because it's the most relevant, but beyond that, for example, Furling, if you listen to the song, it has a COMPLETELY different feel than the set of pictures given. Just because there's a ton of leaves on the ground doesn't make it tie in with the song.
User avatar
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:45 am

I voted for Evo because it was the best scene visually for me, but I agree with Srred.

AND WHY DOES EVERYONE FUCKING KNOW THE JOHNNY CASH COVER OF HURT (Which I think sucks compared to Trent's) BUT NOT THE ORIGINAL NINE INCH NAILS ONE. It's fucking annoying. Johnny Cash's version was named #15 best song of the Decade by Rolling Stones. I don't give a fuck about that list, but why the fuck do they use the cover of it instead of the original other than it's not from the last decade.

And I just got a great idea for this battle, but too bad. I think we should revisit this theme sometime in the next year though as it has so many possibilities if people can get past using the literal meaning of the words in the song to create their scene and create something that captures the emotion of the song while staying true to the lyrics.

I'm done.
Image
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
User avatar
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:03 pm
Location: California

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby Phott on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:04 am

srredfire wrote:Listening to the songs while staring at the pictures, I really don't see much relation in terms of emotion or feeling. Oilcake gets the vote because it's the most relevant, but beyond that, for example, Furling, if you listen to the song, it has a COMPLETELY different feel than the set of pictures given. Just because there's a ton of leaves on the ground doesn't make it tie in with the song.

Well you kinda only have your own interpretation to go after so that's probably how Furling imagined it.
User avatar
Phott
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby Furling on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:58 am

srredfire wrote:...for example, Furling, if you listen to the song, it has a COMPLETELY different feel than the set of pictures given. Just because there's a ton of leaves on the ground doesn't make it tie in with the song.

Yeah, as Phott said we probably just have different interpretations of the song. Quite possibly the fact that I have listened to it hundreds of times affects how i hear it :-)
Also I probably could have done a better job expressing what i meant in the images, because it is not all about the leaves (obviously :P), it's the abandonment, destruction, inner darkness etc which, if you pay closer attention to the song, that's what it's about. There are a few metaphors in there that should help highlight the feelings that I tried to show, so the images aren't supposed to be taken entirely literally as a street with tons of leaves, but as a bit more than that.

Who knows, I might have slightly misunderstood the way one must do maps for these battles, but this is my first attempt, so I am sure I'll get it right eventually. For now I just went with how I felt it and tried to show what the map associates with for me

Anyway, thanks to those how vote for me, really glad at least some people like it :) And good job to the rest of contestants, the other scenes look pretty nice
~ Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over ~

Stargate: Legacy a Half-Life2 modification. Learn more at http://www.stargatelegacy.net
User avatar
Furling
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Latvia

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby evochinima on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:02 am

Zipfinator wrote:AND WHY DOES EVERYONE FUCKING KNOW THE JOHNNY CASH COVER OF HURT (Which I think sucks compared to Trent's) BUT NOT THE ORIGINAL NINE INCH NAILS ONE.


I love nine inch nails (listening to them atm actually). But i liked johnny cash's version more, atleast in this context. Thanks for the vote :)
Image
User avatar
evochinima
Regular
Regular
 
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:43 am
Location: Sweden (There's a polarbear outside my window!)

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby SotaPoika on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:05 pm

I liked Furling's scene, but damn, Bily Talent is so gay. So I voted Spas instead as he had second best scene. :D
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
User avatar
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod
 
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby Armageddon on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:15 pm

SotaPoika wrote:I liked Furling's scene, but damn, Bily Talent is so gay. So I voted Spas instead as he had second best scene. :D

See I told you he has bad music! :)
User avatar
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:53 am

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:23 pm

evochinima wrote:
I love nine inch nails (listening to them atm actually). But i liked johnny cash's version more, atleast in this context. Thanks for the vote :)


I disagree that it's better but it's all personal opinion. I can't stand listening to Johnny Cash's version though.

And it's him, not them.
Image
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
User avatar
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:03 pm
Location: California

Re: Map Battle 41 - Map a song - Final images & voting round

Postby nub on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:45 pm

Furling for me.
User avatar
nub
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, US
Next

Return to Design Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron