Map Battle 43 - Limitation

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 43 - Limitation

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:41 am

At the moment I'm only using a very flat SSbump with shading on the edges near the cracks. I'll try to mix a very light detail SSBump into the shading but the last SSbump I used wasn't that great and with just a good looking normal map I didn't get the SSBump shading near the cracks. Anyway that "dirty" look on the texture is from where I fucked up while trying to make one of my reference images completely smooth/the same shading. I need to fix that.

Thanks for the critiques and the paint over!
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 am

I've decided I'm not going to enter this. No one else is entering and it seems like it's just me documenting the art creation for Pipe Dream. Instead I'm going to make a new thread sometime over the next few days to document parts of the art creation process to give the community an inside look into the progress of this section of the mod and to get criticisms on what to improve art wise.
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Generalvivi on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:56 pm

lol i was just about to say this is basically a glorify pipe dream thread :P
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby Major Banter on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Great, at this rate I'm going to have to call abort.

Seems Map Battles just aren't the business these days.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:49 pm

I think there needs to be a break in map battles for the time being until we can come up with a stellar idea that is likely to draw in multiple contestants. There's been plenty of wonderful themes in the past but it's slowly becoming redundant. I think a break would be welcoming so we can brainstorm more ideas for the next battle.

PS: Good on ya Zip.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:55 pm

I would have entered but i felt i needed to concentrate on Field Zone at that point in time, I will be in the next one for serials, as I've missed a few now :/
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm

I was fully intending to enter, and have terrible WIP shots to prove it, but other comitments are too much right now. We do love map battles. :D
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Guss79 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Major Banter wrote:Great, at this rate I'm going to have to call abort.

Seems Map Battles just aren't the business these days.

Should stick all the mappers on a corner and try and pimp them out to mod makers/game companies. lol
Guss79
Regular
Regular

Postby Zipfinator on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:20 pm

Sorry Banter... It's not your fault that no one is entering. I guess people just aren't that interested in competing anymore unless there's some sort of prize or recognition beyond points in a 5 year old thread that no one pays attention to.

Maybe if you redo the award system to give the winner some sort of emblem next to their name or some sort of special userbar under their post count bar? Those are just two ideas that I threw out of the top of my head but doing something like that without offering money for prizes (Unless someone will donate for that) would generate more interest I think.

Anyway, Pipe Dream is going under a complete overhaul. The current art tests aren't that great and weren't planned out well. Me and Mr2 will be spending a few weeks gathering references for the art, refining the puzzle elements and building some test maps. In a few months I'll be back here with the first media release for Pipe Dream to show you guys the new art direction and share some insight into the puzzle aspects of the mod. Thanks for the support.
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Hm.

Hmm hmm hmm.

Or I could just throw abandonment, the most participated in competition I believe, back in the mix after a nice, long break.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Even prizes aren't a surefire way to get people interested. But there's still that old trophy they used to put under your avatar. I'm not sure who used to be in charge of that, but MasterDonut has had it for the last year and a half.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Major Banter wrote:Hm.

Hmm hmm hmm.

Or I could just throw abandonment, the most participated in competition I believe, back in the mix after a nice, long break.

Please explain. ¬_¬
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Dionysos on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:45 pm

Maybe it's just a really busy time of year. For my part, I under estimated my workload uni-wise. Not gonna stop working on what I have though, and post it either way.
Last edited by Dionysos on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby theCommie on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:45 pm

If it makes you feel any better Banter, I was (or still am) working on an entry; don't like to post WIPs though.
theCommie
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Hollow on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:47 pm

PhoeniX1992 wrote:
Major Banter wrote:Hm.

Hmm hmm hmm.

Please explain. ¬_¬

He means bring back the 'Abandonment' themed map battle that was from ages ago, hence the long break bit.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section