Map Battle Discussion

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 51 - Night

Postby MayheM on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:42 pm

LiamFarley1998 wrote:We need to change this, we need more playable maps on more engines, maybe even a modern engine showdown (udk, cry3) Something innovating. Source is old now we just gotta accept that.

While this would make it even more likely to get submissions i believe a great idea would be as follows...

Several separate contests, one for each engine. Each has it's own winner. Once each has a winner, those winners are then put head to head against the other engines. So the best from each engine compete. The key would be to come up with several criteria for judging rather than the blanket pick one... Things like originality, lighting, etc...

I think you guys get the point...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TicTac on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:24 am

It is a shame that the mapping contests have died off, they were quite a lot of fun. Not to mention that they forced me to create something new.

Anyway, Mayhem, I like that idea. Only problem being participation: We would need much more of it than we've been getting, since we're effectively running 3 contests in tandem.
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby oskutin on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 am

Yeah, i'll miss the contest too.
There were always nice stuff.
oskutin
Regular
Regular

Postby ScarT on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 am

The SDK is just not interesting to work with anymore. Modding for Source is more or less dead. Valve doesn't seem to care anymore.
ScarT

Postby Zecrah on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:53 pm

It's not entirely dead. It's just more like a zombie. It's still going, just, not really that quickly or enthusiastically or anything.
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby 904 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:25 pm

I've tried to make some new stuff a while ago, even re-installed the whole SDK. But before I even reached something that I'd consider decent, I've already reached the limits of the engine. It's sad, but it's over.
Design Section Moderator

Postby ScarT on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:28 pm

And Valve just released a SDK update that adds more Team Fortress 2 hat shit nobody cares about, and at the same time broken Hammer so it won't start :highfive:
ScarT

Postby joe_dirt976 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:06 am

f the source engine then. Open up the map competition to include other engines. Keep the themes, but lose the restrictions.

EDIT: I must make a mention of how frustrated I am with source at this time. I really want to create something, but I feel no desire to use hammer. Guess it's a good time to play with cryengine 2.
Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Dr Evil on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:24 am

ScarT wrote:And Valve just released a SDK update that adds more Team Fortress 2 hat shit nobody cares about, and at the same time broken Hammer so it won't start :highfive:

When don't they break something?
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Post-Hoc on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:50 am

Dr Evil wrote:
ScarT wrote:And Valve just released a SDK update that adds more Team Fortress 2 hat shit nobody cares about, and at the same time broken Hammer so it won't start :highfive:

When don't they break something?

Dude, you can make some serious money with this hat thing, and guess what else, it includes a model compiler, not a third party one, one made by VALVe, and it works! :D
Post-Hoc
Regular
Regular

Postby ScarT on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Post-Hoc wrote:Dude, you can make some serious money with this hat thing, and guess what else, it includes a model compiler, not a third party one, one made by VALVe, and it works! :D

A model compiler? There's been a model compiler in the SDK since the first release ever made.
ScarT

Postby goldendeed on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:23 am

Map Battle 51 - Discussion.

I've been reading through and I really agree with Joe on this one, but at the same time, I feel we dealt with it for so long its going to feel wierd going to something "brand-new" amazing. In some ways it might be better but in others it might crash and burn due to their supposedly "better" improvements.
goldendeed
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: Map Battle Discussion

Postby IMUS on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Hearing Valve's recent comments on sticking with Source and just continuing updating it changed any viewpoint? I'm still mixed between sticking with it and moving on, which I'm honestly still slightly leaning toward just because the nature of the industry.
IMUS
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:11 am

They have worked on it for far to long just to ditch it. They just need to invest a little more time in the SDK, not just Hammer.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Zecrah on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:58 pm

New map battle plz.

Theme: 'emptiness'.

I'd do it.
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section