Map Battles - Suggestions

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Map Battles - Suggestions

Postby BaRRaKID on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:15 am

Latelly i've been getting lot's of emails with suggestions for future map battles, so i decided to make this thread where you can post your ideias.
So please post away :)
You can also use this thread to post feedback on current battles, or any other sugestions you want to make to improve them.
Last edited by BaRRaKID on Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:24 am

Why not give us a murder scene and then we have to place clues and make a believeable surrounding it would be proper cool.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tr0mb0ne on Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:39 am

I think it may be a neat idea to get a real-life photograph of a building, then do your best to re-create the building in hammer using the default textures.
92% of teens suffer frr0meerssewresrvevrschegyicryurfsutfrcgykcruighseryicgsry3763 3 3g34uuu4gu 338woq3ui4h3il450[[[[ejr3hw4b34ki3oqnh2nu3nlo``bn 3ko;324n234jbe5tet6.,w4jk5jil5kpwv ,l';eeeeg
tr0mb0ne
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby NsOmNiA91130 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:03 am

tr0mb0ne wrote:I think it may be a neat idea to get a real-life photograph of a building, then do your best to re-create the building in hammer using the default textures.

Even better, part of a city. With a murder scene in it. And it must have something shiny in it. Something very, very shiny.
NsOmNiA91130
Regular
Regular

Postby slayera on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:10 am

I would like to see some more battles like we had with the fy maps. Maybe aim or something else, not that I am into aim maps at all.

How about a texture or model battle.

Also how about an offical interlopers map battle, with a 'lopers theme. Should make it open for a couple of months though.

Team mapping, how about some people sign up and then assign 2 or 3 people to a team to work together to come up with a map. Hopefully it would encourage and foster working together and not infighting.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -Robert Pirsig
slayera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Vallian88 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:57 am

How about a puzzle map? Very Myst reminicent. How about a map battle where you design a room with a very intricuit puzzle? That could give your artistic talent something to bond with. It could be something simple, like getting a door to open via switches, or increadibly complex such as the kinds in Myst. That's one thing I don't see very often in people's maps. There's never any intellengence involved, just kill this, kill that. I would very much like to see more games that make you think while fighting off combine soldiers :twisted:

Besides, adventure-puzzle games classicly have very eye-pleasing looks. I certainly wouldnt mind walking around in a myst style world in a 3D engine, why not use source to do so? We could start a whole new style of HL2 maps with this very idea, what do you think of pz_bridge? or perhaps pz_treasure? I think I'm going to start work on such a thing with or without a map battle to influence me.
kimi wo mezamesaseru nara nejimageyou ka? -Kirito

Club No Release
Vallian88
Regular
Regular

Postby Jest@ on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:32 am

good idea, vallian, and you have a point, but i think that's more suited to a SP mod tbh. The design battles have to be short and small enough to complete quickly, without reliance on gameplay issues.

I think we should stick to the old-style, non-playable, eye-candy battles, that's what ppl like, cos they're quick and good practice.

A model battle would be cool, but perhaps something to run unofficially on the side. I dont think there are enough modellers around who are of similar ability to make it interesting. Also, how would you manage polycounts etc? tricky.
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SixThree on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:38 am

Jest@ wrote:I think we should stick to the old-style, non-playable, eye-candy battles, that's what ppl like, cos they're quick and good practice.

:smt038
SixThree
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Vallian88 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:52 am

Ok well I guess thats the basic idea for a map battle. Now we just need a shyte-load of themes that barra can just pick from a hat... Whos got a hat?
Bridge, House, Cliffside, Farm, Water-theme, Gothic architecture, Roman architecture, Victorian architecture, displacement in the shape of a face!, coolest door ever, water aquaduct. Those are ideas I came up with within 5 minutes.
kimi wo mezamesaseru nara nejimageyou ka? -Kirito

Club No Release
Vallian88
Regular
Regular

Postby verballydecapitating on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:51 am

I hope to get a hat for christmas.
verballydecapitating
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ghost|con on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:00 pm

I Dont know if youve already had it but, a actual like 3 minute episode of something, its quite easy have barney walk to a corner (use point_view)
and do a cut scene using all sorts of scripted seqences and stuff i would like that

or Best level remake? i can enter my wip q3dm17
Half-Life 2
Subvertus http://subvertus.g2mods.net/
ghost|con
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby 5eyes on Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:03 pm

well since the holidays are upon us, how about a holiday theme like a christmas tree or a menorah, altho not sure if there are any models of those out there...
5eyes
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby UberSpeed on Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:11 pm

How about a 3Dskybox challenge, where you just make a square as the actual map and you make the amazing 3Dskybox :D
UberSpeed
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Blink on Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:58 pm

We'll be bringing these battles back, I'm looking at using the idea of the orignal ones initially, so expect that.

Those that remember the early battles will remember how cool they were, we changed the ideas a bit and they died off, so providing you guys all have a bit of fun and join in we should see them get popular.

Expect an update in this forum soon...
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Addicted to Morphine on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:01 pm

This has been done before, but I've always liked the idea:

Everyone has to make the best looking map that can't be bigger than 1024x1024x1024 (or whatever dimensions you select for the battle).
Addicted to Morphine
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Next

Return to Design Section