external links and such

Comments & Suggestions about Interlopers.net

external links and such

Postby TheMiede on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:43 pm

I hate the linking on this forum. Whenever I click an image link or a link to portfolio, when I am done looking at it, my natural instinct is to hit the X button, which then brings me out of everything and I have to reload interlopers each time. Can you make it so the links open a new window when clicked, that way when i exit out of them, I am back to the forums?
TheMiede
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: external links and such

Postby Blink on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 pm

I think you'll need to change your browsing habits, because you're obviously used to poorly coded websites. It's always seen as bad practice to force new windows open on a user and seeing as Interlopers attempts to adhere to standards and usability practices we won't be changing that.

I advise you use Firefox and then just use your middle mouse to open links in a new tab, a much more efficient way to browse.

http://www.smackthemouse.com/20030831
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07 ... w-windows/
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=DontOpenNewWindow
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Wills on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:30 pm

It's always seen as bad practice to force new windows open on a user and seeing as Interlopers attempts to adhere to standards and usability practices we won't be changing that.

Here, here! Totally agree. I despise websites which open new windows when you click a link. I always discourage clients from engaging in this practice too, it's messy and unprofessional in my opinion.

As Blink says, switch to Firefox and get a mouse with a mouse wheel button!
Jailbreaksource.net | Andy Wills

Maps, Textures, Modelling, Animation, Skins, Voices, Sound and Graphics

Wills
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby TheMiede on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:30 pm

I use my FF and I have a middle mouse. I usually only use middle mouse clicks when I am reading an article and there is a link in there that I want to touch on after I finish with the article so that I don't forget.
TheMiede
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Blink on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Ah, well I know a lot of forums use the new window thing, phpBB2 used too and I think vBulletin still does but I believe phpBB3 removed that. I find myself using the Back button all the time to quickly skip back from various sites so the new window thing is a real hindrance to me. I think the web user should decide if they want a new window, not the site owner
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby TheMiede on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Blink wrote:Ah, well I know a lot of forums use the new window thing, phpBB2 used too and I think vBulletin still does but I believe phpBB3 removed that. I find myself using the Back button all the time to quickly skip back from various sites so the new window thing is a real hindrance to me. I think the web user should decide if they want a new window, not the site owner

Yeah, that makes sense. The forum I frequent the most is vbulletin, so that may be why I have gotten used to new windows.
TheMiede
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Return to Feedback Corner