A new Great Maps section?

Comments & Suggestions about Interlopers.net

A new Great Maps section?

Postby YokaI on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Title is shit, but we had a conversation going on in the great maps thread in the complete maps section:

Yokai wrote:Is it just me, or would it be a better format to have a sub-catagory in complete maps called great maps where only admins can start the topic, the topic will be based on 1 map, and have users actually rate the map for gameplay and visuals. If it had a +10 and -10 spectrum, anything in the negatives should be removed from the list.

As it stands, I feel like this would be a much easier way to maintain the "great maps" without the admin having to step in to edit the initial topic. Also, discussion on 1 specific "great map" would be great so we can discuss or debate why or why it should not be on the list.

Just my 2 cents...

Whiffen wrote:On my freewebs site (Might make an actual website soon but I'm pretty lazy...) I'm going to be keeping track of the best L4D maps and review and archive them, but I think that would also be a good idea something like that on here like Yokai said. ^^

Vorneus wrote:Seconded.

-Ed

Psy wrote:I like that idea a lot. In fact, it would just be nice to be able to rate maps in the completed section.

Basically, that was the conversation. I've decided to relocate the discussion to a place where admins will check more frequently (this section) and a place where the conversation will be more organized and discussed. Basically, I feel that maps should be able to be rated in the complete maps section and there should be a subsection called great maps that all maps with above a 4 go to. The rating would be divided by visuals, gameplay, sound, creativity. Maps in the great maps section can be "booted" if more than x amount of people think it doesnt belong there, which also requires a reasoning with a world limit minimum.

Well, that's about it. We can talk about it some more though.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: A new Great Maps section?

Postby mky on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:41 pm

I like it.
mky
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Athlete{UK} on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm

honestly when i created the great maps section it was fairly early days in Interlopers life really and we weren't as popular as we are now. We were still amazed anything was getting made for hl2 at the time tbh.

It has been neglected there are insane amousn of maps around now. We try to keep up with the map spotlight thread.

The problem is yes you model is much better I agree. it is subject to regular update and in theory manages itself. However I'm not convinced it would be managed that effectively. We have trouble keeping the news sections ticking over. What with the majority of us "old" admins having lives getting in the way now.

It may be worth seeing how this idea pans out and I agree the idea is a good one. i jsut have my doubts as to the need for it or how well it will work.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:31 am

Any word on this blink?

I'd love to help manage this aswell, if someone can just get the system working. I feel as though this would also make a change in the map spotlight more frequent if the spotlight was every new map added to great maps section. Again, if management is an issue for you guys, even though it is pretty self-managable, I can volunteer and I am sure a few other vets would love to help out with the great maps system.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:39 am

I feel like we do need one of these, much like MapCore, ftw.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby punky on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:07 pm

It would be another cool section to add on Interlopers, It will help to bring great maps to our attention :)
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:25 pm

it's a good idea, but to work effectively it needs to customised. Maybe something similar to the way Portfolios are rated for instance?
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby theblahman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Blink wrote:Maybe something similar to the way Portfolios are rated for instance?

I was just thinking that as well.
I design (v4.1 released 23/2) and Tweet.
theblahman
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Psy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 pm

All it would have to be is a forum which links to threads in the Complete Maps section that have a rating of 3 and above.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TheMiede on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:25 pm

Maybe some formula, like monthly or bimonthly it views map threads that fulfill the criteria:

Less than 2 months old
Highest Rated (or rated above 4.0)
Has been rated > 10 times

Something like that?
TheMiede
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby YokaI on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:39 pm

Yeah, quite obviously it would have to have a minimum of votes in order to get in the great maps section. 10 may be a bit much, maybe 5 would do.

=> They don't have to be lesser than 2 months old, they can be of any age.

=> In order to vote, you MUST post a critique of some sort. This should have a formula such as "Pros, Cons, Areas of Improvement." Each require a minimum amount of characters (about 200.) The requirement to fill out cons will require players to really think about the maps cons if it has any. Every map has some flaws, even valve maps, so it wouldn't be impossible to give that sort of feedback.

=> A map that is added to the great maps section will be featured as the map spotlight.

=> If the map's rating becomes lower than a 4, the map is removed from the great maps section. If it WAS featured as a spotlight however, it will remain spotlighted until another map takes it's place. The reasoning for this is as follows: If a map is removed from great maps it is still debatable whether or not it is a great map, even if it's ranking is about 3.9. This will allow the map to still be recognized by the community even if it is still debatable whether or not it really is a great map.

- -You may change your rating, however you must then post a reasoning for your change in rating.

- -Both of the above required feilds will show up as regular posts when finished, including the rating you gave the map.

=> A "Great Maps Moderator" must make some sort of critique on every map featured as a great map.

Idk, those are a few rules and settings I came up with recently. I could probably word them better, but that will be whenever this becomes into effect or not.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby korge on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:28 pm

A set up like this would give websites like FPSBanana a run for their money. Itll help cut the crap out and let people find the good maps fast.
zombie@computer wrote:Thank god the government knows best.
korge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby YokaI on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:26 am

MrMattWebb wrote:A set up like this would give websites like FPSBanana a run for their money. Itll help cut the crap out and let people find the good maps fast.

Agreed, and FPSbanana as an idea isn't horrible but the rating system is currently broken. The no minimum requirement of ratings makes it so that a horrible map that gets a 10 in ranking by one of the authors friends will be on the top of the ratings even though only 1 person voted for it. A 5 person requirement will make it so that at least 5 interlopers members would be required to vote on the map.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Blink on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm gonna start planning how this will work, and with a bit of help from z@c this should become something soon.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby YokaI on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:40 am

Nice. =D
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Next

Return to Feedback Corner