Propper issues

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Re: Propper issues

Postby Gambini on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:44 pm

You expect oddities to happen when you don´t do the proper thing. As I said, that entity won´t work inside a model. Propper isn´t meant to do that. It only converts hammer geometry into smd format.

There are other ways to make a mirror. Refractive materials can be turned off at certain distance just as the water_lod_control entity does with water.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 am

Gambini wrote:You expect oddities to happen when you don´t do the proper thing. As I said, that entity won´t work inside a model. Propper isn´t meant to do that. It only converts hammer geometry into smd format.

There are other ways to make a mirror. Refractive materials can be turned off at certain distance just as the water_lod_control entity does with water.

I put something in bold for you as I guess you didn't read my post properly.
Also i'm not looking for other ways after all I am in a Propper issues topic.

gtamike_TSGK wrote:
Gambini wrote:I downloaded and gave it a look. I won´t compile it because that will generate all sort of unwanted folders in my HD. But I can tell you the reasons of why isn´t working:

- First of all, you can´t tie an entity inside a model, if you want a mirror model create a refractive material and use it in the model anyway.

- The geometry should be in the center of the grid ( that is the point where those three blue lines cross eachother).

- You should use nodraw in all the invisible faces, that will save unnecesary polys.

- Your object is very basic, considering your needs I would just leave it as brushwork.

There's 2 .vmf's one with entity inside and one without. <---
I didn't know about "center of the grid" I didn't catch that in the read me and the brush was in the same place as my older propper models. :|
Refractive materials are expensive, I can set a fade distance if it's a model. (optimize fps for map)
I added nodraw before and it gave me errors in the log, who knows why.

The materials are Valves stock ones so what's with the "not found" messages?
Also why is "$hdrbasetexture" even listed? o_0
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby Gambini on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:23 am

I did read that. So you don´t really mind whether the model has a reflective part or not? I remember there was a vmf with the word "test", which i didn´t look.

"after checking the 2nd model"

Ok.. there´s no way Propper would not compile that. mdlcompiler´s error looks like if you didn´t fix the materials for being used as vertexlitgeneric. However your propper_options has the "fix materials" checkbox enabled. My only guess is that Propper isn´t compiling the model but still calls mdlcompiler which takes an older file but can´t compile it. That´s likely to happen since the command line of Propper keeps running even if there´s an error in between. Check Hammer´s log.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Gambini wrote:I did read that. So you don´t really mind whether the model has a reflective part or not?
Ok.. there´s no way Propper would not compile that. mdlcompiler´s error looks like if you didn´t fix the materials for being used as vertexlitgeneric. However your propper_options has the "fix materials" checkbox enabled. My only guess is that Propper isn´t compiling the model but still calls mdlcompiler which takes an older file but can´t compile it. That´s likely to happen since the command line of Propper keeps running even if there´s an error in between. Check Hammer´s log.

I'm going to edit the .vmt files after the brush is compiled to model as i've done that in the past.
I don't know and don't really have the time to mess around with this for too long, that's why I asked someone to do a very quick compile for me.
Mapper since 2007 http://gamebanana.com/members/215600
gtamike_TSGK wrote:Innovation making new ideas come to life ¦)
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby crazycarl on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:22 am

I've compiled it successfully and sent a PM with a link.

Propper does not care about any entities that aren't specific propper entities, and they shouldn't cause any problems. I'm not sure if there's a way to get RT reflections on a model--I think the reflective glass entity is the only way to go.
crazycarl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:27 pm

thanks
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby Xufe on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:24 am

I ahve found a bug, or an not implented feature: With the propper physics thing you can't choose health preset "metal.large " or "metal.huge".

Bug or not , is there a work aronud for it ?

greetings
Xufe
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Gambini on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Uncheck the "automatically compile" line and edit the qc file?

EDIT: BTW propper doesn´t work now that steam broke the tools.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby cani on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Gambini wrote:Uncheck the "automatically compile" line and edit the qc file?

EDIT: BTW propper doesn´t work now that steam broke the tools.

You mean add "-nocompile" to the parameters. Also you can still use propper with the SDK_FIX.
cani
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Gambini on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Well, It didnt work when i tried the day before yesterday. That´s why i said that.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby crazycarl on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Propper will not work with the new "Source Engine MP" option in the SDK. It will work with "Source Engine 2009", however. You will need to find sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\propper.exe and move it to sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin

The libraries in the orangebox folder were changed and no longer work with Propper. I'm looking for ways to make Propper independent of these libraries so that it will work on any version of the SDK.
crazycarl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gambini on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Yeah i did that after the update and it works. Basically, The orangebox folder is no longer used for anything so everybody can delete it in order to avoid confusions.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Gambini wrote:Yeah i did that after the update and it works. Basically, The orangebox folder is no longer used for anything so everybody can delete it in order to avoid confusions.

Wrong don't delete orangebox folder. ¬_¬

Half Life 2 Deathamtch uses it if you change it to 2009 it gives lots of errors then crashes. (maybe for CS:S to)

see for yourself.
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:56 am

Image @crazycarl
Do you know why propper no longer works for me?

Here's some screenshots.
Image Image Image Image Image
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:28 am

There was just a topic with the same problem but a different tool. Let me find it...

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=35481&p=465890&hilit=filesystem#p465890
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Hammer Editor Help