decals that disappear on level change

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

decals that disappear on level change

Postby cjbeattie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey guys

I’ve noticed a problem with all my maps that has just appeared recently, when I do a level change then go back to the prior level i came from all the decals in that map disappear, Not the overlays, nothing else just the decals,. There is no errors in the compile log or in the map to explain this.. considered reinstalling HL2 to see if that helps but decided to check here first

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Could it be a problem with the placing of the landmarks?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

C J
cjbeattie

Re: decals that disappear on level change

Postby ErikKiller on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:55 am

Well, I know it duplicates them til infinity if you have decals on the both side, on the same spot.
However, it may also remove decals if you are hitting a limit on... something. Post the compile logs of both the maps.
I know the Black Mesa guys had an issue where the entity removed was all the player's weapons.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: decals that disappear on level change

Postby uberkirsche on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:59 pm

personally, I hate decals for the aforementioned reason by ErikKiller "it duplicates them til infinity" it sucks when you have to reposition them because they are bleeding onto another surface after a long compile. In CSGO SDK, the overlays tend to disappear after compile for some reason. If I do not have a massive brush count, I usually just make a func_illusionary or non-solid func_brush one unit wide with the decal texture on it and ensure the edge is not too close to the edge of world brushes so they do not appear to be floating on the surface
uberkirsche

Return to Hammer Editor Help