CS:GO black textures on some models

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

CS:GO black textures on some models

Postby TorQueMoD on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:54 pm

So I'm trying to work on a new map for CSGO but some of the models seem to have black or missing textures.

Here's where things get really weird... inside Hammer/Model viewer the glass for this skylight model is only textured on one side (Left side image of screen shot). All other sides of the glass show as black. However if you look at this model used in-game in cs_assault, you can see that it works fine. But when I compile my map its black in game for me.

What's up with that? Anyone know how to fix this?

I've already tried verifying the integrity of the tool cache this didn't fix anything.
-TorQue[MoD]
Environment and Game designer
http://www.torquemod.com
TorQueMoD
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: CS:GO black textures on some models

Postby Gambini on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:02 am

I think you´ve not been using hammer for a long time, or you was running on offline mode. When Steam invented Steampipe, they completely changed the steam filesystem meaning that the sdk had to be adapted to the new system. Lot of things stopped working or working properly with that and the model viewer is one of them. I think the problem is related because modelviewer reads a file named something like scheme.res, in the vproject folder. All models with materilas that are $transparent will show up black in the model viewer and the backsides of faces that are $nocull arent drawn either.

Learn to live with it or manage to modify that scheme.res file in a way that it restores the model viewer´s scheme (i failed at trying and gave up).
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Smurftyours on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:51 am

I had to recompile the trees under a newer engine version to get rid of the black textures. I would try that.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby TorQueMoD on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:16 am

Yeah I haven't touched Source engine in years. If it was just an issue of the models not appearing correctly in the model viewer it wouldn't bug me, but the models don't work in-game either. If this is such a known issue why the heck hasn't Valve fixed it?

How would one go about modifying the scheme.res file ?
-TorQue[MoD]
Environment and Game designer
http://www.torquemod.com
TorQueMoD
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby uberkirsche on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:30 pm

I wouldn't go modifying and files
you could try to recompile the models as smurftyours suggests

ensure you name the model something else, like "tree_01x" or you will just have and overlapping
I tried to extract the model textures from the previous game iteration and place them in a manually created folder according to the VMT script, all I got was a black model with the texture super-imposed on top of it, it was a mess
uberkirsche

Return to Hammer Editor Help