[ERROR] FloatPlane: bad normal

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

[ERROR] FloatPlane: bad normal

Postby syturio on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:34 am

I have this map called "surf_ski_2" (CS 1.6) that i wanna edit in Hammer.
I can decompile it .bsp to .map whiout problem, i can also edit it in Hammer, but when i try compile it back to .bsp it gives me this error:
FloatPlane: bad normal
GetLastError() = 3

Can someone help me?
syturio
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: [ERROR] FloatPlane: bad normal

Postby syturio on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:35 am

PS: This happens for all maps, not just surf_ski_2
syturio
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Mehis on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:01 am

That's because the decompiler takes all the faces in the map and tries to make them into brushes. This makes weird errors and you shouldn't even try to compile it.

However, you can have the decompiled version as a reference and just create the whole brushwork by hand yourself. It is GoldSrc, so it should be simple.
Mehis
Regular
Regular

Postby syturio on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:42 am

Mehis wrote:That's because the decompiler takes all the faces in the map and tries to make them into brushes. This makes weird errors and you shouldn't even try to compile it.

However, you can have the decompiled version as a reference and just create the whole brushwork by hand yourself. It is GoldSrc, so it should be simple.

So, you are saying that i shold create a new map by hand?
syturio
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby syturio on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:43 am

Btw, this happens for all maps, even if i make a new one and try to compile, it gives the same error.
syturio
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Syphon on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:45 am

Compiling a decompiled map is like putting the same text through a translator multiple times. The end result is highly inaccurate.

Use decompiling as a reference to see how it was made, not as a base to build upon.
Syphon
Regular
Regular

Postby uberkirsche on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:18 pm

I read something once that said a decompiled map makes 6 brushes for every one brush in the map. I can't prove that, but it is possible the machine is making one brush per face

there is always Google

https://www.google.ca/#q=FloatPlane%3A+bad+normal

you may not find your exact fix, but at least it will get your synapses firing and you might figure it out.

If you are trying to recompile a decompiled 1.6 map in CSGO, this is almost guranteed to fail anyway, I side with Mehis in that you should just recreate the entire map from scratch
uberkirsche

Postby Mehis on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:40 pm

uberkirsche wrote:I read something once that said a decompiled map makes 6 brushes for every one brush in the map

Exactly. I have yet to see a GoldSrc decompiler that doesn't do this. For now you'll just have to keep the decompiled map as a reference and make the map by hand.

I don't know the solution to "FloatPlane: bad normal", though. Maybe you could try to compile it under a different game? E.g, steamapps\common\<game name>\bin\hammer.exe
Mehis
Regular
Regular

Postby syturio on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:05 am

even if i make a new map with just 4 walls and spawn points, when i try to compile it it gives me the same error. i think it has something to do with my Hammer and not the Compiling/Decompiling it self.
syturio
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Hammer Editor Help