Call of Duty: MW3

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Call of Duty: MW3

Postby MayheM on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:55 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:in the case of battlefield 3, it feels like the consoles are actually suffering from PC-itis, because i think the PC version would just be fucking epic. (not counting SP, where I think it is just some didn't-try-to-impress game design)

I can assure you that it is. Sure it has it's flaws, but they are updating like crazy fixing issues. As soon as I heard consoles will be limited in the number of players in a server I knew it was going to cause the game to suffer. This game is basically the new crysis in that it pushed the envelope of graphics. The game play is good and totally new in that it has a ton of new options. Things like binding a button to hold your breath while sniping to increase you aim. That is a lot of attention to detail. But the thing I always found lacking in COD games, aside from the headache inducing bit, was the fact that the it seems very much run and gun. Once I played BC2 and actually had to compensate for bullet drop, other games seems less challenging. But I have never played a game that made me react the way BF3 has. It keeps you on your toes. 32 on 32 is nuts, in a good way. It takes some getting sued to, but it is the tits!
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Smurftyours on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:27 am

Like Mayhem said the game is getting bug fixes and balances with a major patch here. Some of the things players can expect so see fixed is all the numerous glitches (very few major ones) and a ton of weapon balancing for all the guns that sucked ass when the game hit the market *cough* javelin *cough*. Its kinda lame to see you guys count out a game just because elements of it are the same to its prequels and other games in the genera. If anything BF3 pushed the line of expectations for realistic shooters forward not backward.

Banter I meant that the console version of the game is going to be limited and neglected compared to the PC version. Obviously the PC version of the game will do well, I just think the game could have been better if the mindset when it was being created was for solely the PC, rather than for all the consoles.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby MayheM on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:27 pm

The javelin is awesome except for two things. You should be able to dead fire it and it is a little weak. It should only take two to take out a tank...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Smurftyours on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Missile = slow and lame. Should one shot tanks if the missile hits from the back.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:30 pm

they are definitely strong enough to one-shot anything, but straight-line no-lock-required shooting should be an alternate firing mode.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:53 pm

So the SP campaign for MW3 feels like the same old COD formula but it also feels like a formula that has been damn near perfected. I enjoyed the fuck out of every single mission. And the levels in Paris instantly made me think of City 17, which got me to thinking about how much the IW engine has in common with Source, despite all of the painful differences.

They both are brush-based worlds with brush-based displacements. They both rely less on models than other engines (kind of a "duh" comment, but still...). It really makes me wonder what gargantuan "next step" Valve will take with their engine development. I think of how incredible it was when Source made its debut with Half-Life 2. It was totally new territory. The same thing happened in my eyes when COD4 was released. It was a world-changing engine. Will the next Valve engine end up being on par with the current IW engine? Or will it transcend the IW engine to become something even more epic?
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:52 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:So the SP campaign for MW3 feels like the same old COD formula but it also feels like a formula that has been damn near perfected. I enjoyed the fuck out of every single mission. And the levels in Paris instantly made me think of City 17, which got me to thinking about how much the IW engine has in common with Source, despite all of the painful differences.

They both are brush-based worlds with brush-based displacements. They both rely less on models than other engines (kind of a "duh" comment, but still...). It really makes me wonder what gargantuan "next step" Valve will take with their engine development. I think of how incredible it was when Source made its debut with Half-Life 2. It was totally new territory. The same thing happened in my eyes when COD4 was released. It was a world-changing engine. Will the next Valve engine end up being on par with the current IW engine? Or will it transcend the IW engine to become something even more epic?

Brush-based game engines are getting more and more outdated. "The next step" is what the CE and UE have been doing for quite a while.

I do also not agree with you what you're saying about COD4, Crysis was released only one week after the release of CoD4.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:29 pm

well i stand corrected but i think brush-based worlds just "feel" better. Crysis's world, although visually impressive, feels strange. Especially the indoor areas. There is a lack of detail that I can't put my finger on. Don't get me wrong, Crysis is clearly the stronger engine but something is off about it. Maybe I haven't played enough Crysis or Cryengine games to really get a good read on it.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:41 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:well i stand corrected but i think brush-based worlds just "feel" better. Crysis's world, although visually impressive, feels strange. Especially the indoor areas. There is a lack of detail that I can't put my finger on. Don't get me wrong, Crysis is clearly the stronger engine but something is off about it. Maybe I haven't played enough Crysis or Cryengine games to really get a good read on it.

Lack of detail. Interesting.

But yea, I agree with you. There has always been something 'different' about these brush-based engine, the feeling you get or something you get/experience. Maybe it's the collision system they use. I don't know, but yea, it's different. I kinda got used to it now though..
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:46 pm

dude, I don't see crysis having dynamic gnome chompski's
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Generalvivi on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:12 am

its the rendering and lighting.
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:27 am

@delta: that is Crysis 2. I was mainly referring to Crysis 1, i should have specified earlier. If you look at Crysis 1, i think the indoor areas are really tame and/or weaker than Ep2's indoor areas.

to be fair, i have not played Crysis 2. I would LOVE to though because i think Crysis 2 fixed a ton of the issues i raised about Crysis 1.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:22 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:@delta: that is Crysis 2. I was mainly referring to Crysis 1, i should have specified earlier. If you look at Crysis 1, i think the indoor areas are really tame and/or weaker than Ep2's indoor areas.

to be fair, i have not played Crysis 2. I would LOVE to though because i think Crysis 2 fixed a ton of the issues i raised about Crysis 1.

I somewhat agree with you on the Crysis 1 part, but it's not entirely fair since Crysis itself mostly focuses on the outdoor combat and exploration where in HL2(EP2) said combat and exploration is also partially indoors. What I remember about most Crysis indoor stuff was more or less just settlements in the jungle which were more or less there for the player to hide/take cover from the surrounding enemies. (I'm completely ignoring the alien ship) So you might be right it felt less detailed. Therefor I chose to compare it to Crysis 2 where there's a lot more focus on the indoor play, to make it 'fairer' compared to HL2(EP2).

source-maps wrote:dude, I don't see crysis having dynamic gnome chompski's

Yea, that's definitely what HL2EP2 made more unique and fun than Crysis, thought-out fun cool gameplay and easter-eggs. :p
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Dr. Delta wrote:I somewhat agree with you on the Crysis 1 part, but it's not entirely fair since Crysis itself mostly focuses on the outdoor combat and exploration where in HL2(EP2) said combat and exploration is also partially indoors. What I remember about most Crysis indoor stuff was more or less just settlements in the jungle which were more or less there for the player to hide/take cover from the surrounding enemies. (I'm completely ignoring the alien ship) So you might be right it felt less detailed. Therefor I chose to compare it to Crysis 2 where there's a lot more focus on the indoor play, to make it 'fairer' compared to HL2(EP2).

Now to bring the conversation back around, compare Crysis's world to COD4's world. I honestly think COD4 is more beautiful than Crysis in some respects, and it "feels" better in that unique untraceable way that only brush-based engines seem to provide.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hellraz0r on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:Now to bring the conversation back around, compare Crysis's world to COD4's world. I honestly think COD4 is more beautiful than Crysis in some respects, and it "feels" better in that unique untraceable way that only brush-based engines seem to provide.

Both in my eyes look great, however I must say, if you get crysis and mod the shit out of it, it'll look VERY amazing:

Hellraz0r
Pheropod
Pheropod

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat