Game discussion and other related chat.

CryEngine 3 Soft Physics simulator

Postby Blink on Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: CryEngine 3 Soft Physics simulator

Postby skoften on Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 am

Old, was posted yesterday in the randomthread.

/bitch mode off

That is really impressive. Love the damage you can do to the car, reminded me of GTA4 but better.
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Blink on Wed May 30, 2012 9:59 am

skoften wrote:Old, was posted yesterday in the randomthread

Pff, who goes in there?
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby kirby2112 on Thu May 31, 2012 7:59 pm

That is awfully cool, but everything looks really floaty and flimsy... kind of... it's hard to describe... it just looks... I mean, when I drive my truck, I don't see shit wiggling around in the back or anything. Cars are typically held together with more than scotch tape...
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby skoften on Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Probaly a matter of adding more friction between the parts that make the model. The tech is there and that is what matters.
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby kirby2112 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:38 pm

skoften wrote:Probaly a matter of adding more friction between the parts that make the model. The tech is there and that is what matters.

True. Hopefully they can implement it in a way that doesn't require an absurd rig.
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Thu May 31, 2012 9:20 pm

I don't believe this is that new. I've seen soft body physics like that before.

What also needs to happen is fracturing... Head lights don't deform, they shatter and the base falls out. The same goes for a lot of other components. Would also be cool to have certain effects happen, like if you damage the radiator, it sprays water/steam and the engine starts over heating(make noises, smokes, etc.).

If they realistically simulate fracturing, deformation, and vehicle performance. I'll love it. Though they are off to a good start.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby - Livewire - on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:00 pm

It's impressive to watch but it's nothing which hasn't already been done, maybe 6 months/year from now they would have implemented something more pioneering.
- Livewire -
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 pm

I second Gary it is good, but there is a lack in smaller pieces for generated debris. It is off to a good start though.

Even with this fancy debris model, I still enjoy physics springs on the Valve buggy, however indestructible the rest of the vehicle might have been. XD
Epifire

Postby kirby2112 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Epifire wrote:I second Gary it is good, but there is a lack in smaller pieces for generated debris. It is off to a good start though.

Even with this fancy debris model, I still enjoy physics springs on the Valve buggy, however indestructible the rest of the vehicle might have been. XD

Would it be possible to implement physX particals into this mafia 2 style?
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:47 pm

kirby2112 wrote:Would it be possible to implement physX particals into this mafia 2 style?

With that engine, I am sure they could.
Epifire

Postby kirby2112 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Epifire wrote:
kirby2112 wrote:Would it be possible to implement physX particals into this mafia 2 style?

With that engine, I am sure they could.

That would be really really cool.
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:35 pm

They shouldn't use Physx... they should use some OpenCL physics engine.

Or else half your players won't be able to see the particles.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby nub on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:46 pm

PhysX would just make it lag like shit. Such a bad physics engine.

kirby2112 wrote:That is awfully cool, but everything looks really floaty and flimsy... kind of... it's hard to describe... it just looks... I mean, when I drive my truck, I don't see shit wiggling around in the back or anything. Cars are typically held together with more than scotch tape...

I think they did that on purpose so the truck looked like a rickety piece of junk on its last leg; in order to show off the intricacy of the physics. I'm sure they could easily make a vehicle that had a more sturdy, rigid frame.

I can't wait to see this finished, where the collisions and shaders behave way more accurately. What I'm REALLY interested in seeing is more chaotic destruction, like if a car were totally obliterated by a semi that t-boned it when going 60 mph. I've seen videos of really bad accidents and the car basically exploded in to tons of pieces. Would be really cool to see that in a game.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kirby2112 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:55 pm

nub wrote:PhysX would just make it lag like shit. Such a bad physics engine.

Really? Seems alright to me... But, what do I know?

Oh, shitdamn. I managed to fuck up the quoting.
Last edited by Gary on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tag
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Return to Gaming Chat