Crysis 3

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Crysis 3

Postby srredfire on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Unfortunately I feel Crysis has become a true representation of graphics before gameplay. Crysis 1 was pretty decent, I really enjoyed the first half at least, once the alien stuff starting going down I was kinda eh about it, but I still beat it and had a good time. I felt like they tried to make a pretty solid game with that one. It wasn't overly linear and you could approach your objectives in a lot of different ways, and the combat at the time was somewhat unique.

Then Crysis 2 came along, and they through all the pseudo-open-world stuff out the window and you became confined to the city blocks where there wasn't a lot of room for being creative or playing the way you wanted to like in the first game. Granted the game still looked wonderful, but it wasn't particularly anything special or enjoyable. It was just okay.

Now, I've played the multiplayer Alpha and Beta, and while it's obvious to see that the game still looks fantastic and is pretty much top notch, regardless of how much time I spend playing it, I cannot find myself really actually having a good time. It feels really generic and a general let down. The guns feel weak and ineffective, and it comes down to someone either sneaking up behind you or bum rushing you and punching you in the face. It becomes increasingly tiresome running to the same points over and over only to shoot 30 rounds into someone and them doing a 180 and decking you in the face.

Granted, I'm not really GOOD at the game, but I feel like I shouldn't have to be good at a game just to have fun.

I don't in any way mean to say PaulH here or anyone else is doing a poor job, from what I understand PaulH does more art things on the game than actual gameplay coding/scripting/whatever, so for his sake the game does look awesome visually and kudos for that, it's just a shame in my opinion all that has been given the 90% of the focus and the 10% gameplay was just shoveled in.

Also that just goes to show what the multiplayer will be like, maybe the singleplayer will blow my socks off and I'll be like, "whoa holy shit I'm having so much fun etc etc praises compliments".

MAYBE I DON'T KNOW SHIT.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:OP is the pure reason crysis is so good. The Crysis 1 beta videos showed the nano suit having awesome powers and on release everything had been nerfed to the point that there was barely any point having the strength and speed versions of the suit. Maybe it doesn't translate well to MP but I hope that the SP campaign has a ridiculously OP nano suit. It would also make gameplay very different since there would have to be different ways to make the gameplay challenging, since you're essentially a super soldier.

Crysis 2 actually did a decent job of making you feel powerful. But I seriously missed having free strength and speed mode. They were limited to sprinting for speed (and it wasn't that much faster to be honest) and holding the jump/melee button to do power maneuvers. I found Crysis to be such a blast because you could holster your weapon, pull your fists out, and bash a fucking building in to pieces by punching the living shit out of it in strength mode. Or you could just chuck a grenade in it and watch the fireworks. On top of all that, you would melee and reload faster in speed mode, and in strength mode you reduced your recoil to almost nothing and you could throw grenades way further. They completely abandoned all of this in Crysis 2, which made me very disappointed. And yes, Crysis 2 was not nearly as open-ended as the original. I still enjoyed the campaign, but it was a lot different from Crysis 1. I guess they didn't want to reinvent the wheel, but it felt like Crytek departed from the original a bit too much.

I'm more interested in seeing how the campaign will turn out. But what the Hell happened to Nomad and Psycho? They returned to the island at the end of the first game to find Prophet after the island was nuked. My Crysis lore is a bit rusty, but the scientist lady that was with them was the same chick that was in Crysis 2, right? Prophet hints at the other nanosuit operatives being "dead men walking" or something along those lines, so I wonder if they all just died. Then again, Alcatraz in Crysis 2 is basically a walking corpse being kept alive by the suit. I would seriously find it disappointing if Crytek were to just write Nomad and Psycho off like that. Nomad was my favorite of Raptor Team. I don't want him to just die behind the scenes.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Wasn't Nomad the protagonist of Crysis: Warhead (the epilogue to Crisis 1)? I played it but honestly I couldn't get invested in the storyline so I just punched things until I won. It really takes a lot of effort on my part to involve myself in a storyline if it isn't shoved down my throat by the game, and shooters tend to have trouble with this.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby srredfire on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:48 am

You played as Psycho, the buffed up Jason Statham.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:14 am

Ahaha, he sounds just like jason statham.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:01 am

He was voiced by Sean Chapman, so I guess Chapman sounds like Statham.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PaulH on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 am

@srredfire

I don't actually do the art side of things I'm a Designer, I'm responsible for designing the level layouts, the art guys are the ones who pretty it up. I also contribute towards the main game design. We're actually a pretty small team here working on the MP side, I believe there are some plaques you can rip off the walls on the Museum level - well the names of all our team are on those. It's cool if you don't get along with the MP side of the game though, I don't expect everyone on Interlopers to like it I just came on to share the Beta so you guys could at least give it a go. It may also be the Crash Site mode you don't agree with, i tend to agree it does get a bit mental at times and it's not a mode where you can be too concerned with your K/D ratio :)

There are other modes you may enjoy (the aforementioned Hunter mode possibly, straight up DM or TDM etc) and maybe once you get access to the full suite of modules and weapons you might find something you can be more tactical with. Of course maybe you won't and you'll just end up playing the SP, that's cool too :)
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:57 pm

also, hackers
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PaulH on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Yeah there are hackers, I think what they did was release the Beta without certain anti-cheat methods, to see what the hackers got up to. The full release has these measures restored.
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 pm

I've never understood how some one created hacks so quickly, or at all.
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sathor on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm

People actually BUY hacks. And I guess they are Cry 3 engine hacks and can be quickly modified forany game
Sathor

Postby nub on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:11 pm

PaulH wrote:It's cool if you don't get along with the MP side of the game though, I don't expect everyone on Interlopers to like it I just came on to share the Beta so you guys could at least give it a go.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a solid game. It's just not my cup of tea I guess. I'll definitely be checking out the SP side of the game, though.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm

And yeah, no doubt i'll be playing the single player.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby PaulH on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Well Crysis 3 is now officially available everywhere :) Below are some shots of some of the Multiplayer stuff I worked on. The Airport, Bridge and Chinatown levels were designed by me, the Tanker level was taken from the C2 DLC and I removed some sections and added some new ones to bring it in line with the other C3 levels. I also put together all of the CELL intro cinematics for the Hunter game mode and most of the Hunter cinematics too and did some general design work on other aspects of the game.

I hope if any of you get the chance to try the game you enjoy it!

PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:12 pm

so how's that single player, folks?
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155