Bioshock Infinite - updated : 2/1/2013

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Bioshock Infinite - updated : 2/1/2013

Postby WhiteDevil on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:38 am

I played on hard and I didn't think handyman was too hard. The combat mechanic was just broken to actually play against him. It would have been easy to dance around him with the sky rails, open turret tears the same time and shoot him. But guess what, the game never hooks you on the rails when you wanted and you'd just get your ass slapped while stupidly jumping stationary and looking up. Some times it worked, most of the time it didn't.
So because of that the combat against them just went to a respawn spree until hes dead because you had no other choice.
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:18 pm

im currently stuck at the
Highlight to read:
"tower defense" style final battle on the zeppelin. i think the main reason is because i didnt upgrade my vigors very well so i dont have much to slow the bag guys down. between the enemy zeppelins and the constant resupply of motorized patriots, i havent been able to crack it yet. i'm on hard mode.

really itching to finish this game so i know the ending, but that part is really slowing me down.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:15 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:im currently stuck at the
Highlight to read:
"tower defense" style final battle on the zeppelin. i think the main reason is because i didnt upgrade my vigors very well so i dont have much to slow the bag guys down. between the enemy zeppelins and the constant resupply of motorized patriots, i havent been able to crack it yet. i'm on hard mode.

really itching to finish this game so i know the ending, but that part is really slowing me down.

Here is a tactic you can use that Dives referred to me and should help you out a lot...

Highlight to read:
Using the secondary placing of return to sender all over the generator while spreading them out evenly over the whole thing will create a safe shield. While they are active and cover the whole thing properly it will not take damage. Each individual return to sender node actually covers a good deal around where it is placed for what it can absorb. Only thing is about half way towards the latter end of the fight they start to disappear one the front side from getting shot so much. So posses one of the remaining Patriots and then concentrate your fire on the other beside it, cause I always forgot to posses those buggers to safe time.

WhiteDevil wrote:I played on hard and I didn't think handyman was too hard. The combat mechanic was just broken to actually play against him. It would have been easy to dance around him with the sky rails, open turret tears the same time and shoot him. But guess what, the game never hooks you on the rails when you wanted and you'd just get your ass slapped while stupidly jumping stationary and looking up. Some times it worked, most of the time it didn't.
So because of that the combat against them just went to a respawn spree until hes dead because you had no other choice.

Really? I only, "jumped stupidly" when I was just barely out of reach but most the time Handyman fights for me was a lot of sparring with the big ole bugger and plugging shots at him when I could get the chance. So cruising around on the Sky rails was essential but I found the rails to work well for me. Handyman fights just seemed to take a bit longer and regular foot soldiers just seemed to be a lot more formidable in 1999 mode for me. Otherwise that last battle is the only thing that really gave me a hard time, where I died a lot. Oh well maybe that and my very first Handyman fight but generally I never died a lot while playing Infinite.
Epifire

Postby Armageddon on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Even a simple enemy like this could have added a lot of personality. Why didn't any of them use vigors? Booker got two right out of the gate so they can't be that hard to get.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Stormy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:10 pm

What the hell are you talking about. The fireman, the crow dudes, and there was a shock jockey dude wasn't there? There were plenty of enemies using vigours. And I think there was enough variation in the enemies given the mechs as well.

That said, the vigours having physical deformities and long term debilitating effects would have been a nice touch and more in line with the plasmid reliance of bioshock 1.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 pm

The fire guy was a guy in a suit that had flame throwers. There was the Murder of Crows guy but you only fought him four or five times compared to the four hundred faceless soldier-cop looking enemies. There was no Shock Jockey guy as far as I remember. And it felt like just one specialization that the enemy could do. I still don't understand how or why the Crows guy could teleport. I was hoping enemies would be more like Booker and use three or four Vigors.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 am

Armageddon wrote:The fire guy was a guy in a suit that had flame throwers. There was the Murder of Crows guy but you only fought him four or five times compared to the four hundred faceless soldier-cop looking enemies. There was no Shock Jockey guy as far as I remember. And it felt like just one specialization that the enemy could do. I still don't understand how or why the Crows guy could teleport. I was hoping enemies would be more like Booker and use three or four Vigors.

Highlight to read:
I think Story was talking about Slate in the Hall of Heroes.

I think it would have been nice if they had more deformed guys like that in the lower levels and poor districts where people would have more of a viable reason to let themselves go to a physical waste like that. My theory is that they wanted to keep the enemies more organized looking, and not the drug addicts seen in the original. I guess if people knew stuff like that had side effects it wasn't the kind of thing the prophet would be letting people deform themselves over, since he would want his perfect looking city to have perfect looking people. Made enough sense to me, one game supports a more cleaner environment where one was in a broken state. So I think the characters and various enemies were supposed to reflect that.

I guess that's my take on it.
Epifire

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 am

Highlight to read:
i want to give my 2-cents about the ending.

1. so we see a baptism in the morning hours where some people are present. that is the baptism that booker refuses.
2. then we see a baptism in the afternoon hours where he is alone with the pastor. that is the baptism where booker is drowned.

can we theorize that booker attended two baptisms on the same day? in timelines where booker accepted baptism, he refused the one in the morning and then went back later in the day to get his baptism alone with the pastor. in timelines where booker refused baptism, he simply refused the morning session and never returned.

booker and elizabeth only arrive at the afternoon baptism when booker is determined to "smother comstock in his crib". (evidence: booker turns around to face elizabeth, confused, saying, "what is this? why are we back here?" elizabeth then says, "this isn't the same place, booker." i think she is implying that it isn't the same place in time, even though it's the same lake.) so we can theorize that this afternoon baptism is the only time and place in any given timeline where booker will accept baptism. and that is why elizabeth brings them to that time and place.

furthermore, i think that the acts done by elizabeth in this "space between realities" (such as the drowning) are representative of the acts done by all elizabeths in all timelines where booker accepts baptism. i believe that she has that power given back to her by the siphon's destruction: the power to alter the past.

this hypothetically explains away the potential paradox where the act of elizabeth killing booker would prevent her from ever existing to kill booker. all of the timelines in which elizabeth kills booker cease to exist. All of the timelines where booker walked away from the lake and never returned ... continue to exist. booker goes home, retires from the army, lives his life, fathers anna, and life continues on ... without interference from any comstocks, since all of those timelines (with comstock, columbia, elizabeth) no longer exist.

the only thing i have a problem with is the post-credit scene. it punches a hole through most of the theories out there. the post-credit scene appears to display a version of booker that might be recalling that his daughter is missing. of course, he goes to check on her and the game cuts to black. i dont even care about whether or not the girls is present. i take issue with the concept that a version of booker exists that might remember the events of bioshock infinite. hypothetically, all of those timelines were irreversibly erased. well, whatever...just a stupid game right? i sure cant wait to play COD Ghosts!!

EDIT:

Highlight to read:
Well I just went and looked at the shadows on the water, and maybe I'm wrong about an afternoon session because the shadows are pointed in the same direction for both sessions. But I notice a definite change of color between the two baptisms. And of course, there is a lack of people surrounding the pastor in the second session. I still think there were two sessions, and booker decided to go back and get the baptism. Maybe they were on different days or something. Why would the people not be present in the second session?
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Wed May 01, 2013 5:07 am

Highlight to read:
I think they are just different universes. There is a multitude of universes in which booker rejects or accepts baptism. The particular one in which we saw booker get drowned had no people. Other ones would have had people, other ones would have had lizards and monkeys. Other ones would have had people made of gelatin who eat music and make their houses out of solidified light. We just saw the one at the end. Elizabeth had to drown a lot of Bookers. I guess that since we see her disappear at the end that means that we saw the last universe in which she killed Booker.

But again, it's a paradoxical timeline so it ceased to exist before it began to exist.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 am

Highlight to read:
I really think the ending is pointless and rather dumb.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Stormy on Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 am

Highlight to read:
I find it funny that this entire thread is in spoilers. If someone hasn't finished the game and they are reading this thread, do they not deserve to have the ending spoilt?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 pm

we could put it on the front page
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Wed May 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:
Highlight to read:
I think they are just different universes. There is a multitude of universes in which booker rejects or accepts baptism. The particular one in which we saw booker get drowned had no people. Other ones would have had people, other ones would have had lizards and monkeys. Other ones would have had people made of gelatin who eat music and make their houses out of solidified light. We just saw the one at the end. Elizabeth had to drown a lot of Bookers. I guess that since we see her disappear at the end that means that we saw the last universe in which she killed Booker.

But again, it's a paradoxical timeline so it ceased to exist before it began to exist.

Highlight to read:
While there are infinite possibilities I don't think there are always infinite drownings. If this were so Elizabeth could never have stopped multiple Comstocks from one drowning. I think it spans out to massive amounts of different universes from a single point. A kinda tree graph if you can think of that. Because other Bookers and other Elizabeths would not have all made the same decision upon drowning since they would be different renditions of themselves. So I think there were two different paths in two different times but I think they spawn/create infinite paths from those choices. If that makes enough sense. That is where we get Robert Lutece making the remark, "how far back would one need to go?" Something relative to that anyway, so I think it does have a semi-linear pattern.

Also, Tears are Tears and I think Booker whether he thinks (in the end) it was all some sort of dream or, has some notion of something amiss. Some things manage to exist outside of time and a set pattern it would seem. Note when Booker sees the vision of New York burning? No one can tell you how he saw that early on in the game, because this stuff isn't all set in stone. I guess I am making the point is there are still many possibilities because of the way in which the time/space mechanics can variate within Infinite. DLC has a good chance to be very revealing, so I have faith in seeing some more interesting tidbits of story. They say it wont relate to having played the ending so I am curious.
Epifire

Postby ErikKiller on Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Highlight to read:
Finally! An opportune moment to fuck with people.

Derp.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Wed May 01, 2013 4:36 pm

That's exactly what Ken Levine said when he finished writing the ending to Infinite.
Epifire

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat