Quick question

Game discussion and other related chat.

Quick question

Postby redgroupclan on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 pm

If you were playing through a game and you got to a part where an alarm would be playing for a really long time, would you want an option to silence the alarm, like your character getting earplugs, or would you play with the alarm going off in all its glory?
redgroupclan
Regular
Regular

Re: Quick question

Postby Dives on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm

I don't think there's a person on earth who wouldn't shut off an annoying alarm given the choice.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby LordDz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:25 pm

redgroupclan wrote:If you were playing through a game and you got to a part where an alarm would be playing for a really long time, would you want an option to silence the alarm, like your character getting earplugs, or would you play with the alarm going off in all its glory?

I would probably seek for a way to disable the alarm, seeing as an alarm would mean more enemies.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:13 am

It's almost always a good gameplay option to be able to disable alarms, it's called an intermediate objective - an objective that the player assigns themselves in the very short term. But to just shut off the alarm sound and keep the effects of the alarm on going seems a bit odd. I guess as long as the player had no way of forgetting the alarm was going off, like enemies kept spawning etc then it would be ok. Maybe just fade the alarm volume down over time until it is more an ambient sound than a blaring alarm?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Corewarp on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:21 am

Black_Stormy wrote:It's almost always a good gameplay option to be able to disable alarms, it's called an intermediate objective - an objective that the player assigns themselves in the very short term. But to just shut off the alarm sound and keep the effects of the alarm on going seems a bit odd. I guess as long as the player had no way of forgetting the alarm was going off, like enemies kept spawning etc then it would be ok. Maybe just fade the alarm volume down over time until it is more an ambient sound than a blaring alarm?

What Stormy said, but also try to design the alarm so that it doesn't sound.. well.. annoying.

Examples of alarms that are "proper" alarms, in the sense that they're annoying(like a proper real alarm should be):

Some examples of synthetic alarms. Some more annoying than others. But have a shot at making your own!

EDIT: lol, didn't answer the question.
If the alarm is made like a proper alarm(IE: very annoying to listen to), then yes, I'd very much like to turn it off. But if you made an alarm with a smart design, perhaps with 1-2 second breaks, then I could listen to that shit all day.
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Gaming Chat