Why do people like CS:GO? Valve Servers Are Terrible

Game discussion and other related chat.

Why do people like CS:GO? Valve Servers Are Terrible

Postby Teh Frog on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Unplayable on 64 tick and not much better on 128 tick. It just looks a bit prettier, which is I guess what everyone cares about now.
In my own experience, Source is the best and most tight version in terms of registry for the Source Engine versions. CSGO is just a glorified version of Source with shittier servers. 1.6 is in it's own league of glory.

Irrefutable Evidence that Valve Servers are terrible:

MY VIDEO

SECOND VIDEO:
Last edited by Teh Frog on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contrary to popular belief, I am not actually a frog.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Re: Why do people like CS:GO? It's terrible.

Postby Armageddon on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:15 pm

No one disagrees. But they ruined CSS just before announcing CS:GO so we have only 1.6 to go back to.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dives on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:25 am

CSGO's netcode is incredibly similar, if not identical to CSS's. Also your video doesn't provide enough information to see whether its the games fault or the server's.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:44 am

Source is the best and most tight version in terms of registry for the Source Engine versions

stopped caring about your opinion there

I will break it up for you:

1.6 for serious matches
cs:s for surf servers/zombie mode etc.
cs:go for pub games

if you are angry that new game is different, then how about you just go back to old game? it was always like that with multiplayer fps games, be it Quake, Unreal or even CoD, you are not being original here.
So just go back to cs:s if you are so angry at cs:go, just like people who were angry at cs:s went back to 1.6, and those angry at 1.6 went back to 1.5 etc.
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Teh Frog on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:16 am

Okay, you seem to misunderstand my point: I'm not mad that the game is different, nor am I mad at the netcoding (You're right that it's very similar). I'm mad that the --SERVERS-- are utter garbage. Well, the Valve ones at least. As you can see, the engine registered 5 hits, but the server only registered 1. Clear problem, am I right? As seen in the second video, which is very similar to mine, I'm not the only one with this problem. Search "CSGO registry" on youtube.So many videos.

Kirby, I wasn't trying to be original as it is evident that MANY other people feel this way. You're not being original by claiming that either.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:03 pm

I've enjoyed playing CS since 2000. It took me a little while to move to CS:S because in my personal group of players, several of us had a lot of time and investment in making maps for the older version. My first feeling on CS:S was that movement was "odd". But that feeling quickly disappeared.

When our group moved to CS:GO, several people complained similarly to the OP. But I was and am skeptical of most criticisms. For me, CS:GO is the same game if playing competitive and classic modes, and the addition of Arms Race makes a lot of sense because many servers have run (and many players have enjoyed) that mode as modded versions of the game.

I've heard people claim that the game play is totally destroyed. I disagree*. Essentially, the same scales, same goals, same general tactics apply. The fire grenade adds a new tactic so some play changes there; and on hostage maps you only need to rescue one hostage now... so this does offer a general change on hostage maps.

*The one change that I want to see fixed is a serious flaw. There is a footstep sound bug that some players (myself included) have had where you hear loud footsteps and think someone is around the corner... but in fact no one is within a hundred yards. Maybe this bug has been fixed... but it is certainly a bug that has lasted far longer into the game's life than it should. (Please, Valve, fix things like this before making little cute hats for chickens!)

Anyway, I think CS:GO is a great step forward especially for those of us who like to create environments for playing CS.

PS. Bring back VIP and the Tactical Shield! :)
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby TechieUK on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 pm

shawnolson wrote:I've heard people claim that the game play is totally destroyed. I disagree*. Essentially, the same scales, same goals, same general tactics apply. The fire grenade adds a new tactic so some play changes there; and on hostage maps you only need to rescue one hostage now... so this does offer a general change on hostage maps.

shawnolson wrote:Anyway, I think CS:GO is a great step forward especially for those of us who like to create environments for playing CS.

Pretty much agree with both of these
Also know as WILLAM; TechieUK is my old name. If you see WILLAM on Steam or ModDB, it's me.
TechieUK
Regular
Regular

Postby Garrador on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:23 pm

I like it. Well, all in all I'm tired of the CS stuff, but still. I always welcome the new, and I think CS:GO has great potential. In contrast to CS 1.6 and CS:S, CS:GO is very new and will be polished to the same end eventually. But requiring the exact same game, only new graphics and stuff is "retarded". A new game should try new stuff, but keep the same concept around, which CS:GO does.

I think what people have the most problem with, is not being as good and not being able to do exactly what they used to do (which probably worked well for them), in CS:S. Combine that with the experience of some bugs that are caused, most likely, by the server and you get an angry mob.

Give it some time to grow on you, like I'm sure CS:S did for most CS 1.6 fans.
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Teh Frog on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Garrador wrote:I think what people have the most problem with, is not being as good and not being able to do exactly what they used to do (which probably worked well for them), in CS:S. Combine that with the experience of some bugs that are caused, most likely, by the server and you get an angry mob.

Give it some time to grow on you, like I'm sure CS:S did for most CS 1.6 fans.

I'm just as good in GO as I am in Source. The game at it's core is fine. It's the servers that I hate. The official ones, at least. The game registers hits just fine, as seen in the video. It's the server that's like, "Nah, fuck that, you only did 33 in 1 regardless of the 5 hits you got." It doesn't happen all the time though. My point was that it shouldn't happen at all. I can still play relatively as well as I did in Source and 1.6.

Observe:
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 am

Shameless plug???
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Teh Frog on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:22 am

Smurftyours wrote:Shameless plug???

*looks away* No...

Yes.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:10 am

It would be a much better video if you disabled all the fucking bullshit cluttering the mother fucking screen. IT STRAINS MY FUCKING GODDAMN EYES TO LOOK AT THE MESS OF CRAP ALL OVER THE GAME....
Smurftyours

Postby Teh Frog on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:37 am

Smurftyours wrote:It would be a much better video if you disabled all the fucking bullshit cluttering the mother fucking screen. IT STRAINS MY FUCKING GODDAMN EYES TO LOOK AT THE MESS OF CRAP ALL OVER THE GAME....

I don't know how to. The net_graph 1 is one thing, granted. But the rest, I don't know how to get rid of. It's all a part of the servers... :/
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Re: Why do people like CS:GO? Valve Servers Are Terrible

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 am

LOAD DEMO
Hit "x" so x-ray goes away
CONSOLE: demoui
Go to specific round, event, or entire match
CONSOLE: net_graph 0
CONSOLE: cl_draw_only_deathnotices 1
Start recording (whatever software you use)
Hit play on demo tab and close it
SUCCESS
Smurftyours

Re: Why do people like CS:GO? Valve Servers Are Terrible

Postby Teh Frog on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Smurftyours wrote:LOAD DEMO
Hit "x" so x-ray goes away
CONSOLE: demoui
Go to specific round, event, or entire match
CONSOLE: net_graph 0
CONSOLE: cl_draw_only_deathnotices 1
Start recording (whatever software you use)
Hit play on demo tab and close it
SUCCESS

Saved to a text document. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Gaming Chat