When 580s Fail.

PC related discussion and other issues.

When 580s Fail.

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:44 pm

So guys most of us have seen Nvidia's release on the 600 series with that fancy new Kepler architecture. Been thinking about it, but even after only about five months of having a new computer I have been wondering just how far my single 580 will push before I wont be able to max out modern games. Story has it this machine should have had a 590, but due to ordering the build on the same week the 590 went off the market, I was E-mailed about having to choose a different one.

So I believe I recall a few people picking up the 680/690. So tell me if you can make or judge the comparison, are 600 series cards going to blow my current setup so far out of the water that I should upgrade now? Or should I ride out this single 580 till it runs no more? Just trying to get some opinions here on this since you know I only get 45-47 frames on BF 3 with max settings. :lol:

So collaborate, enumerate, or do what ever it is you all do when some one pulls a question about the card.
Epifire

Re: When 580s Fail.

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 pm

When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Now Zombie are those the amount of users getting their benchmarks in with those cards or are those performance charts?

Cause I am seeing a 690 dipping below a 580, and that '90 is supposed to be like three times the power of the '80.
Epifire

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:20 pm

They are scores users get with those cards with the passmark benchmark. The scores don't really say anything other than that they give a reasonable approximation of how 3d cards perform compared to each other.

Mind that there is no 'overall power' for 3d cards. the performance depends on so many variables (resolution, shaders, memory intensivenes, game or benchmark used) that its almost always impossible to say card x is faster than card y (unless ofcourse they are miles apart). Usually one is better in this test, the other in another test, etc.

if you can find a head-to-head comparison of both cards go with that, otherwise, i'd say this chart is about as reliable as they come.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:36 pm

So I think I will be doing okay with this for a good while. If I am having some issues then I guess I could always tack on another GTX 580 to double the performance output. I thought those fancy new ones would have all been rocking the charts by now. Guess mine is still not as shabby as I thought. Thanks for the info Zombie.
Epifire

Postby nub on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:43 pm

My poor little GTS 250, only rank 121. I really need to build a new PC within the next year or I'll have trouble playing games.

Anyway, you should only upgrade when you really need to. If your 580 is running the games you play at desirable frame rates, then there's no need to upgrade. Besides, it costs way too much money to try and have the latest and greatest tech all the time.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby skoften on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:42 pm

To be honest, I think your card will be fine in handling games on high for at least the next 2 years. Also, you mention BF3 runs at 45fps. Sounds a bit low for a 580. What kind of cpu/ram do you have ?

If you're running at 1920x1080 don't expect those newer games to run with 16x AA and everything on ultra.

side note: srredfire ordered a 680.
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Kosire on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:17 pm

I sold my 580 Lightning before the 600 series hit, waited abit and now finally bought a asus 670.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS ... II/14.html

580 is also on those charts...
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:16 pm

skoften wrote:To be honest, I think your card will be fine in handling games on high for at least the next 2 years. Also, you mention BF3 runs at 45fps. Sounds a bit low for a 580. What kind of cpu/ram do you have ?

If you're running at 1920x1080 don't expect those newer games to run with 16x AA and everything on ultra.

side note: srredfire ordered a 680.

It is recommended to run BF 3 with two GTX 580s (in my case I only have one). At max settings Xfire got my frames around 45-47.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 8 Gbs RAM
Hard Drive: 64 GB SSD (for OS and apps) and 1 Tb subsidiary SATA (for everything else)

Just a direct copy and paste of what my readout is on my Xfire.
Epifire

Postby skoften on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Then it is just your gfx card not being able to keep up.
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gambini on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Hell can´t believe somebody is worried about getting dated with his 580 video card. I have a 9600 GT on a Dual Core E2200 3gb, and run all the games i own at 1920x1080 and everything maxed out. I dont think I have had any performance problem, besides with GTA 4 which i run at 1440x900 and with lower anisotropic and antialiasing. I think there´s no worry on getting dated like it was ten years ago. Performance budget are stalled because consoles.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Stormy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:10 am

Yeah I had an 8800GT up until a few months ago and it was still going hard. The only reason I upgraded is because the witcher 2 was chugging on medium-high graphics and I had some spare cash. Now I have a GTX580Ti and I have no plans to upgrade for several years. I had my 8800GT for about 4 years iirc. Your 580 will be fine, if you're having performance issues, get more RAM, a new CPU or possibly reformat and renistall your OS, windoze gets sluggish after a while just because it's old.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:50 am

Well I made this topic to ask how much better the newer ones really are, dealing that a short while ago there was a topic about the new series that was released. I merely have been trying to ask in what must have been more roundabout way of putting as, "how are those in comparison to the older ones?"
Epifire

Postby srredfire on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:58 am

I just bought a 680 yesterday, it'll be in next week with the rest of my new computer parts. I have a 275 GTX and a rig from 2008, so it should be a nice upgrade.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:The only reason I upgraded is because the witcher 2 was chugging on medium-high graphics and I had some spare cash.

The Witcher 2, as far as I recall, is more reliant on the CPU than the GPU (unfortunately). My GTS 250 and Core2Duo E6400 barely run the game. I basically have to set everything to the lowest settings possible (aside from screen resolution) to make it playable. Funny thing is, despite doing that the game still looks relatively decent.

I plan on doing a massive upgrade from this old Dell in the future. Once I have a car and don't need to save up for anything important, I'll just start buying components for a new rig. I want to be able to play games like Witcher 2 and the upcoming Metro Last Light on the highest settings possible with decent frame rates.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Hardware & Software