Melting Point for the inside of a computer!?

PC related discussion and other issues.

Melting Point for the inside of a computer!?

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:58 pm

I recently checked my temperature levels after playing a fairly GPU intensive game, and it was at 91 celsius. Obviously, that's not a good thing, but I was wondering if there could be any problems associated with those kinds of temps and if it can have any lasting effects on the card in general.
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Re: Melting Point for the inside of a computer!?

Postby Kosire on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Depends on your GPU. Some GPUs have a max temp. of 104c before shutting down itself. Others 98c, etc.
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm

its quite hot but not extremely hot. GPU's usually have higher temp limits than CPU's, up to 110-120 degrees. Not saying its good to have those temps, but you dont have to worry about things melting. You way want to check the airflow in your case.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:32 pm

zombie@computer wrote:its quite hot but not extremely hot. GPU's usually have higher temp limits than CPU's, up to 110-120 degrees. Not saying its good to have those temps, but you dont have to worry about things melting. You way want to check the airflow in your case.

But that's 175 degree's. Should I open 'er up and blow out any dust?
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Kosire on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 pm

kirby2112 wrote:
zombie@computer wrote:its quite hot but not extremely hot. GPU's usually have higher temp limits than CPU's, up to 110-120 degrees. Not saying its good to have those temps, but you dont have to worry about things melting. You way want to check the airflow in your case.

Every CPU and GPU now a days have their own security to shut down when they become too hot.

Are you saying your GPU is 175 degree's celcius?? :shock:
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Sathor on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Quite impossible.

My Gigabyte 570 GTX Super Overclock will not exceed 71 Degree Celcius in FurMark, even after 3 hours (longest test I did).

So I'd say: work on your cooling.
I only have a good amount of fans in my PC, so it is nothing special. Just a good airflow.
Sathor

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Kosire wrote:
kirby2112 wrote:

Every CPU and GPU now a days have their own security to shut down when they become too hot.

Are you saying your GPU is 175 degree's celcius?? :shock:

No, farenhiet. But someone had said you were good till 120 and obviously, 175 is higher. Also, this is a laptop if that helps. Which is why I'm kind of wary of opening it up.
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 pm

he said you were good until 120C, not Fahrenheit.

Although I've personally never known a GPU to get that high.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:34 pm

I didnt mean you were good until 120C, i meant most gpu's can 'withstand' UP TO 110-120 degrees celcius without melting. It's certainly not something you should ignore if you experience it more often than once.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:39 pm

For the record:

100c = boiling point for water.

212f = boiling point for water.

Just to give you a very general idea of how hot it actually is.

PS: You should always periodically clean out all the dust that builds up in your computer. Dust is a computer's greatest enemy. My dad owns a shop and has an air tank with a hose attached to it which he uses to blow dust off materials he's fabricating. Every now and then I'll go there with my computer and use it to blow all the dust out. I just have to be careful not to get too close or the force of the air could damage wires and other fragile components.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gambini on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:15 am

Oh yeah i have an air compressor in my shed and blow the shit out of the dust in my pc every 15 days or so. It is so pleasant to see all that shit flying away and then the computer being more quiet and... it even seems to run faster too. Rather than worrying about damaging wires I would always ensure the air compressor´s tank is well bled. You know if the air isn´t dry, damage can be irreversible :P
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:43 am

I just reverse my vacuum cleaner to blow the dust out :D
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ale on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Laptop components do get extremely warm due to the inferior air flow. But unless you are experiencing any sort of performance hiccups or crashes during gaming, then you should just go on without thinking too much about it.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Major Banter on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Higher temperatures don't necessarily indicate the whole system is going to set on fire or melt, but they do greatly increase wear of the components.

For the record, a friend of mine did manage to warp his motherboard by blocking up his laptop fans repeatedly by playing on his duvet. Might have been the lemonade he spilt on in though.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BubbleQ on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:30 pm

You may also want to apply some new fresh thermal paste onto your gpu. Usually helps alot when you actaully got all dust away and still no sign of temperature differens ;)

Don't know how the manufators see on applying thermal paste. Like the fan witch comes with cpus is very often to small. So in my belive they also use the most cheap thermal paste for gpus. So get a quallity one, they are pretty cheap.
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Next

Return to Hardware & Software