New computer feedback

PC related discussion and other issues.

New computer feedback

Postby Dr Evil on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Well, after 4 days of waiting on everything to come in, and then building the dang thing, I finally got my new computer up and running... wanted to get some feedback :)

Specs:
- Asus M5A78L-M LX Mainboard
- AMD Athlon II X2 240 CPU
- 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
- (2) 500GB SATA Hard Drives

Sorry for crap pic quality, took with smartphone, cant find the charger for my camera..

The only thing I have left to go is sleeve my PSU with paracord when it comes in....
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: New computer feedback

Postby SotaPoika on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:13 am

Not really a fan of led-style you got shining there. Also, that PC-case looks like some kind of spaceship, that's about to take off.. I thought only teenagers like that kind of stuff. Sorry, visuals are so 1/5.

I recommend getting some nice larger fan to the back of the case, that has bigger airflow and works quieter. Those smaller fans make usually more noise and they still don't deliver. And, why only 8GB of DDR3? They're dirt cheap these days, so at least 2 sticks of 8GB would've been nice. Memory demand raises these days. What GPU you got there crunching those pixels? Oh and one last downer: AMD processor.

How much did you pay for that setup? It seems to be pretty cheap one, which then I actually understand your hardware choices.
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Dr Evil on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Well, I went with what I could afford right now. The LEDs I already had lay around so I figured I'd put them to use. I was going to put a 120mm fan in the back but the case wont take it, so I have 120 in the from and bottom and 80's in the side and back. As far as cooling goes, even turning gaming while playing COD BlackOps, my cpu temps havent gotten over 108F and my GPU hasnt gotten above 115F, so I guess for the few games that I do play, and the normal things I do, it does me fine. The bored will max out at 16Gb, I plan on adding 8GB next month, and got lots of room for AMD Socket AM3 upgrades, so getting a better CPU isnt that for off either. But I'm over all happy with it. As far as the case goes, I picked it up for $20 on ebay....LOL
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Sathor on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:25 pm

How about a nice SSD? My PC boots in like 10 seconds I got so used to it :shock:

Anyway, my own PC is just a big case with lots, lots of fans attached to it, like my car is stock too, but I still think something like this is really cool.

Perhaps you should add a red LED somewhere. For a contrast. Sci Fi
Sathor

Postby Dr Evil on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Yah, been looking at SSDs, thats definitely in my next set of upgrades

Right now, playing with different color schemes on the sleeving to my PSU cables. I bought blue/black 550 paracord, and I have and old molex plug I've been playing with...

my g/f game up with this:

Kind of a braided look
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Return to Hardware & Software