AMD FX-4100 OC vs FX-8350

PC related discussion and other issues.

AMD FX-4100 OC vs FX-8350

Postby MELVIn on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 pm

I've had this 4100 for a few months now, and recently I decided that it was totally shit. So I OC'd it to 4.40GHz which has been running 100% stable for the last few weeks. However, I still feel like the CPU is holding me back, so I started looking at a new one.

Since I've no interest in replacing my Motherboard, I decided that I should get the FX-8350 (It's the most baller FX CPU available in the store I buy my stuff from.)
Then I got to thinking. I know the added 4 cores will make zero difference in gaming performance, but how much of a difference will it actually make? The 8350 runs stock at 4.0GHz(casual speed, would OC), but it'd probably only get it to like 4.6 - 4.8 GHz... or maybe 5.0... who knows, you know?

But yeah, since I'm looking at this performance difference purely from a gaming standpoint, how much performance increase would I get? How much of a difference is there between the 4100 vs the 8350, if we pretend they're both at the same clockspeed?

This would be running with an OC'ed ATI 6950 1gb and 8gb of RAM. A bit outdated too, but I still think it's mainly the CPU that's currently holding me back.
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: AMD FX-4100 OC vs FX-8350

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:39 am

Well the FX-8350 is in the top 15, best CPU values of all time as of today, and Its got a score of 9,000+ on cpu benchmark witch is pretty substantial compared to the 4100.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: AMD FX-4100 OC vs FX-8350

Postby nub on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:10 am

From what I know the 8350 is like 8 cores, but they share certain resources with each other, so it's sort of similar to hyper threading in an Intel quad core I guess. Not too familiar with CPU tech to be honest.

For gaming (and single-threaded apps), a Core i5 3750 for around the same price would be better, but since you don't want to buy a new motherboard then I guess you might as well go for the FX-8350 since it's around the same price range as a Core i5 3750 (minus buying a new board, obviously). It will obviously perform better than your current CPU. You'll definitely get better performance on multi-threaded applications, obviously.

Go for it.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Hardware & Software