Video Game Tests the Limits. The Limits Win.

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Postby Sorrow on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:06 am

dragonfliet wrote:Games DO have a great capacity to evoke emotion, but I disagree that it's any greater than film or literature or paintings, etc. It's simply different. For example, I have never cried from a videogame.( I swear to god if anyone mentions FF7 I will kick your ass.

err so you're saying that either, you cried or other people tell you that they consider FF7 as a piece of art?

Neither does it for me, Personally I didn't really like it, VIII was more my thing, and that's personal I know.

but man a videogame as a piece of art... do I know one? hmmm... well MGS perhaps, (loved 3) but that's more like a film...

Okami >> that really gets an 'art' rating from me.
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athlete{UK} on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:00 pm

Quite frankly Kev boy I think that's a load.

Go see Guernica the actual painting not some low resolution picture on wikipedia and tell me that games surpass painting.

Like I said the potential excists for games to be a huge ly influensial and important art form but nobody has utilised it fully yet but like we said. It's comparitively new. There is plenty of time yet.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sacul15 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:51 am

Simply put this whole censorship thing is all a matter of our first amendment rights. Game makers should have the right to make anything they want, people should have the right to buy/download anything they want, and competition hosts, store owners, and the like should be able to approve or disapprove of any game they like/dislike. The only time anyone can take away this right is when something puts in danger the lives of others. And as much as you don't like it, feelings are not protected in the Constitution.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:38 am

That depends on how you interpret Ammendment V.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sacul15 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:50 am

Mr Happy wrote:That depends on how you interpret Ammendment V.

...I don't get it. Explain your reasoning.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:12 am

sorry, i was working on distracting myself from a paper that i just finished! :D

Fifth Ammendment gaurantees the right to life, liberty, and property not being taken away without the due process of law. Now, since feelings are a part of life, preventing them is illegal.

I know, I know, it's a stretch :D, but so is the interpretation of the second ammendment saying individuals have the right to own weapons
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Meotwister on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 am

Fifth Ammendment gaurantees the right to life, liberty, and property not being taken away without the due process of law. Now, since feelings are a part of life, preventing them is illegal.

I know, I know, it's a stretch :D, but so is the interpretation of the second ammendment saying individuals have the right to own weapons

Yes that is a stretch.. but I don't see how the right to bear arms is one ... seems pretty obvious to me.. I'm aware of the debate about commas and meanings of words but its certainly not a stretch.

On the main topic.. I believe games are, to a degree, an artform and have a very large potential to be a very powerful one at that. But let's not forget what games are first and foremost today and that is entertainment. I know what someone will say "yeah so is film" and he/she would be right but the primary purpose of a game is to be fun right? I'm sure you can see a conflict where a game that attempts at being fun is made on the Columbine incident. In a movie/film topics like this are treating a little more tastefully most of the time and usually have the purpose of showing generally what happened in some event etc.

I personally thought United 93 was a great movie cause it hit me emotionally, something that a game (with the exclusion of FFIX when I was ten or eleven but still not to the same degree) has yet to do.

This is a good debate topic that I haven't really seen anywhere. Having a discussion about something other than politics is refreshing.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby DeathProdigy on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:32 am

ALL THE FF SERIES IS AWESOME... just which one you perfer is a personal opinion

seriously FF8 hit me deep. i loove that game and i have completed it many many many times. i still get the slight tingling sensation in my chest when (SPOILER-STOP-READING) squall finds reona in space

video game is a media, like any movie/image/song its a way of entertaining people

what i find wrong about that colombine(sp?) game is that they make a game of killing real people who actually died. for entertanment

with that said... you'll all turn to me and say ohhh but what about medal of honor and Battlefield vietnam? those models are faceless and nameless in the game. if i were to make a mod of say bfv and have it say "you killed [insert war hero here]" that to me would be steping over the line.
DeathProdigy
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:37 am

well what about the 'Band of Brother's' miniseries? those were real people
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby DeathProdigy on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:40 am

thats true... i suppose its a matter of taste.

i guess its like some places in iraq some people love the pictures of 9-11 whereas in the east it is a very sensitive subject.
DeathProdigy
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Sorrow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:14 am

DeathProdigy wrote:i guess its like some places in iraq some people love the pictures of 9-11 whereas in the east it is a very sensitive subject.

I guess you mean certain terrorist cells.
I don't think it's "Iraq-specific"
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Meotwister on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 am

Mr Happy wrote:well what about the 'Band of Brother's' miniseries? those were real people

Yeah they were but it was a miniseries.. one made to give a sense of understanding about what they went through in the war and made to invoke emotions as a lot of films/series do.

I guess you mean certain terrorist cells.
I don't think it's "Iraq-specific"

you're right it's not Iraq specific many civilians over the middle east .. I suppose the East in general love the pictures.. it's not iraq specific nor underground terrorist cell specific.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby Sorrow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:34 am

how do you know the "east" loves em? have you spoke to most of the people there? I doubt it.
I'm 100% sure there are people over there who are opposed to terrorism but are simply afraid to voice their opinions or aren't really important people (the random civilian)
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:51 pm

In other words, the majority of the people in Iraq.
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sorrow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:53 pm

are you drawing a conclusion out of my post or his? because there's a big difference.
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Discussion