Prejudices - UK vs GER, GER vs USA, USA vs UK (etc)

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Prejudices - UK vs GER, GER vs USA, USA vs UK (etc)

Postby Sathor on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:18 pm

This forum has an international community. I have seen members from Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom, from the United States of America, and Germans.

In some threads, prejudices have of course arisen.
In this thread, I want everyone to take part in a discussion about prejudices by a people against another people.

As some of you might have noticed, I am German and will answer any questions about common prejudices against Germans. I hope other people will take part here too :D
Sathor

Postby Generalvivi on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:23 pm

>_>

<_<

GO USA!!!
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby wiggle987 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:30 pm

Well I know for a fact that many Americans consider us humble Brits as either tea sipping ponces or brick wielding hooligans. I can safely say that I am a mixture, I sip tea, but I also wield bricks.
wiggle987
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:47 pm

The tea image is of course also known in Germany, but it is usally connected to the image of a noble British family.
Sathor

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:56 pm

Germans dig holes in our beaches
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Athlete{UK} on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:26 pm

Yeah sorry mate but this is a bloody stupid thread. I know you're meaning well and your intentions are all there but this is going to turn to flame.

I'll leave it open for now but the tiniest hint of flames and i'm locking.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SlappyBag on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:07 pm

Although I joke about it, I love all the americans I know. I just joke about the steriotypical view of them. I apologise for any inconvienicencez... and bad spelling mistakes!
SlappyBag
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dead-Inside on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:47 pm

zombie@computer wrote:Germans dig holes in our beaches

I laughed so hard.

All countries have a general stereotypical image.

This image usually changes with the times, and some remain sinse, well, medieval times.

Edit: And in general, I hate americans for everything they stand for - as a country.
Dead-Inside
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Generalvivi on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:45 am

Dead-Inside wrote:Edit: And in general, I hate americans for everything they stand for - as a country.

even teh vivi?
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:45 am

I hold two country/continent/whatever prejudices. One, Europeans are the most bigoted people on earth. (remember, stereotypes are a kind of shorthand, they are true of most of the people you encounter of that group, not all). They say "zomg Americans are all shallow stupid, and lazy" and yet...well, I'll let number two explain......

The other prejudice I hold is that America is more culturally diverse than any other country on earth, since all the other countries are pretty much small and all the same type of land and whatnot, not gonna go in detail...

Think about it like this, where a european has a stereotypical view of germany, brittain, spain, or ukraine, we have stereotypical views about texas, idaho, maine, or california. Each state is like a european country with it's own unique cultures and inherent charecteristics. I see Europena countries as much more unified in their own styles of life and whatnot.

still.....

I'd like to know about Finland.

WTF is up with them, the only stereotype I know is that they exist. I don't think I've ever heard ANY news, or ANYTHING about them, as far as I know it doesn't even exist (do cartographers lie?) is it just an unpopular place?

god why am I posting in this thread....

Anyway, this is what I believe. I believe that all steretypes are true in the context of experience. What we do when we encounter a new group is dissiminate the information about them that seems true of the majority, and then define that group that way. If the only Americans you see are stupid (even though we invented more than a billion percent of new technologies) then that's the stereotype you hold. If I see everyone from Spain as having rediculous looking mullets, than that's the stereotype I hold.

There's nothing wrong with stereotypes themselves, they are the only way to talk about a group in general, there isn't even anything wrong with negative stereotypes. WHAT IS WRONG, is when we foget that they are not true of everyone in the group, and that we aren't familiar enough with the group to form an accurate picture.

For example, I often say French people are assholes. Well, every French person I've met is an asshole, one guy robbed my friend after we helped him out, and my sociopath uncle is obsessed with france. It's also really hot and humidd in paris. Since I've never seen anything positive or good, about france and its people, then it's ok that I think they are all assholes. Still, I WANT TO BE PROVEN WRONG.

In short, sometimes you need to talk about a group in generalities, and you use the general aspects that you know and have experienced. It's like saying "all cows are white and black." Sure, there's alot of brown ones, but there's no reason to mention that in passing, since most you have seen are white and black.

I probably shouldn't have posted this, but I like expressing my opinions :D

sry.

p.s. seriously, what...just, finland? what?
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby DeathProdigy on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:47 am

New Zealand ftw.

i do admire the USA's patriotism tho
DeathProdigy
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby JLea on Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:10 am

DeathProdigy wrote:New Zealand ftw.

i do admire the USA's patriotism tho

BAH A NEW ZEALANDER! Nah you guys are alright...

:D
JLea
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby slayera on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:54 am

I always heard German chicks don't shave their legs or airpits. And that British have bad teeth.

One thing I always heard going up in 'white'oming (Wyoming) that blacks love watermelon and fried chicken. Then I worked in Kansas City amd I saw tons fat white people with a melon and some chicken in there shopping cart and not many blacks doing that.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -Robert Pirsig
slayera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dead-Inside on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:19 am

Uh, Mr Happy?

Generally they're swedes with a few exceptions, one being the sauna and the other being "finnish sisu". Otherwise they're pretty much like us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland should help you

Edit: And the reason they don't really make much noise is because they're a smaller country and they don't really do that much on the world scene. I'm not saying they're worthless, because they're not I love them, they're just not showing up alot :)

Edit2:
slayera wrote:I always heard German chicks don't shave their legs or airpits.

That's spanish chicks.
Dead-Inside
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:30 am

@slay:

I didn't knew about that one, it's really complete bullshit. Most of them shave even their forearms if too much hair is on them :wink:
(and they shave other places too
:twisted: )

WTF is up with them, the only stereotype I know is that they exist. I don't think I've ever heard ANY news, or ANYTHING about them, as far as I know it doesn't even exist (do cartographers lie?) is it just an unpopular place?

Finland is in fact a very nice country. No news = no bad news! As I know, they have one of the highest standards of education in Europe (much higher than Germany).

My biggest problem with America is their ambiguous thinking about democracy, freedom (etc, pp).

I read an article about the camp Guantánamo lately. Robert Gates wanted the camp to be closed down, but it didn't work out. In MY opinion, and most should agree, the camp really cannot be seen as a symbol of American justice.
The war in Iraq etc have been discussed enough ...

Oh, and I think the Americans are too much convinced of their superior military, which is not that superior anyway ... as you can see in any war fought up until now.

So, I know not every American supports those things ... can't be more than 50%. But sadly, the typical American looks like ... fat, eating fast food, waving an American flag and watching Fox News for latest "news" about the heroic fights in Iraq
Last edited by Sathor on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sathor

Next

Return to Serious Discussion