Half life 2's scanners coming true?

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: Half life 2's scanners coming true?

Postby dissonance on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Yes, most major networks pull these kind of stunts. I know the situation, I know that kind of world, so I can make informed opinions about these things, however, most people don't. Most folks rely on televised news to get their information.
I chose to rip on Fox because it's owned by Rupert.
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RobQ on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:51 pm

Sacul15 wrote:All the major news networks pull this crap. As a gamer, surely you have seen this before.

I don't understand how you can successfully understand and judge Fox like you did there, and fail to see that governments might do the same. History says they WILL, it's not a MIGHT. The best governments deviate and have to get their asses kicked back into line. Usually just by voting them out.

Look at the law suit against illegal wiretapping that just failed at the Supreme Court. The executive's defense? The list of victims is a state secret, so none of them can ever sue. It wasn't "we follow the law as created by the legislature, as we SWORE to and are legally required to". No, it's "you can't know, you can't question, you can't do anything about it". Please, resolve this trivial problem for me first before you advocate giving the executive branch more power.
RobQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby kkirspel on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:23 am

Sacul15 wrote:Because Fox News has a slight conservative bias, they are terrorists? Find one video of them spreading fear and I'll admit that you're right, but until then keep your unbacked opinions to yourself.

Sure, there are greater threats than terrorists, but does that mean it should be ignored? Since you're more likely to get in a car accident than be attacked by a shark, is it ok to swim in shark-infested waters?

And I liked how you mentioned both the Federalist Papers and the 2nd amendment, even though Federalists opposed the Bill of Rights.

Correction: the only thing outright opposed was the constitution by the anti-federalist. The federalist made up the bill of rights to swing people to support the constitution... so while I think they weren't over-joyed with the bill of rights (except that it might get the constitution ratified), they weren't opposed to it.

To realign myself with the original topic a bit more, al quaeda isn't dead. It isn't like you heard from al quaeda all the time before 9/11 and now since they've gone quite, they're dead. No, they're out there, maybe just not powerful enough, yes (I believe someone said something about their lack of infrastructure). And hopefully, we all know by now that al quaeda was linked to iraq. Maybe both guys had a drink together one time, but I'm not sure Iraq (saddam) would have wanted the amount of attention he would potentially receive from aiding a terrorist group to attack a powerful country(ies).

And to reailgn myself even further, minority report is wrong in most eyes because, in the movie, the justice system was composed of three siblings that were unwillingly being manipulated to predict crimes and because of the whole 'arrest-me-before-I-think-about-doing-anything' thing.
My opinion on the mind-reading thing is IF whatever techn. could effectively forcast a person's intentions (not outward appearance but internal thought process), then it would be effective... and that people would have to agree to it to have it monitor their life. If not, then the gov. can put them on their 'not-too-sure' list and do anything LEGALLY (and not crazy PATRIOT ACT video legal (from a view pages of posts ago)) to find as to why the person said no, even if its just going up and asking the person in question.
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Previous

Return to Serious Discussion