Age Old Question

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Age Old Question

Postby HotFuzz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Why Mac, Why PC , Why So different?

Why Does the Mac Gross so little, Why do primarily pay for plastic while buying a Mac, Why dont Mac's have viruses

Why Does the PC out gross the mac by almost 85%, Why is the PC Cheaper, Why does the PC have a larger dark side to it

Why do people say Mac's are better for editing? Why do people say Mac's are for graphics when PC's have more powerful

Graphic capabilities. Why?

Which is really better?

p.s Why would steam put games on Mac? (Profit)
HotFuzz
Regular
Regular

Re: Age Old Question

Postby MáØ on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:10 pm

This post is troll bait if I ever saw it...
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Armageddon on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:20 pm

You're troll bait if I ever saw it...
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Good thing she isn't jailbait too, or you'd be in trouble.
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby HotFuzz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Lol wow,im not trying to troll, lol I just want honest opinions. This site better not turn into another HL2world.

And next time you say someone is trolling get it right

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or !!!!!!!!!!!!!off-topic!!!!!!!!!!! messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun “troll” can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in that was an excellent troll you posted. While the term troll and its associated action, trolling, are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with 'trolling' being used to describe many intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context."

This isent off topic, and im not trying to piss anyone off. Just want to see what people have to say. Only you can choose to be 13 and make it emotional
HotFuzz
Regular
Regular

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Well, in answer to the original post, mostly it's just opinions and personal preference.

In my experience there are three broad groups of people who use macs:
Those who prefer the layout.
Those who aren't that technically minded and have no inclination to use the PC.
Those with more money than sense who just want to show off. (Thankfully this group is a small - if annoyingly vocal - minority.)

I have yet to hear a sensible argument as to why the Mac is better than the PC besides the afforementioned aspect of personal preference.

But anyway, this is all tired ground. Let's just laugh at this abject imbecile. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEQZ_4V7NY
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby HotFuzz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Thank you, thats the type of responses I want lol
HotFuzz
Regular
Regular

Postby Unreal_Me on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 pm

1st point: Why do PCs sell more
People buy PC's because they fit into the office setting much nicer than any Mac. There is a lot of software that runs exclusively on a PC, or simply runs better.
Not only that, but Macs are a MASSIVE pain to network on a large scale (ie: an office or school). Both my primary school and high school had massive problems using mac servers to try and network their computer labs, and Mac's aren't really well known for being easy to network. Microsoft puts a lot of work into making windows-based PCs easier to network.
They also sell more because they're cheaper. A PC doesn't need to be made of Microsoft-specific hardware, so any company can pump out crappy parts, and throw them into a cheap $300 machine and sell it.

Also, very few games run on Mac. That's slowly turning around, what with Steam Play, and blizzard games running on Mac, but still. None of the sexy stuff you'd get from running a gaming PC.

2nd point: Why does PC have a larger dark side two it
For starters, Apple has become a master at marketing and PR. They promote their products as high-end, easy-to use, stable environments to work in. They perfect the user experience. Apple doesn't let you see their dark side.
Microsoft goes out and releases an OS nobody understands (Vista). When vista was released, very few people had hardware that could handle it, never mind make good use of it. It was plagued with driver incompatibilities. Most people were running half-decade old hardware on their machines. Even if the drivers were compatable, the hardware was too under-powered to run vista at a decent speed.

People hate on PCs because they're unstable, and prone to blue-screening. What nobody understands is Windows by itself doesn't crash. BSODs happen because of hardware incompatibilities. If Microsoft shipped desktops/laptops with their own hardware (like apple) then it would be just as stable. But then they would have every downside an apple computer has, but without the benefits

3rd point: Why are Macs better at art editing/design
Part of this is because of Apple marketing. The other part is that the free software that comes with MacOS is pretty damn good. Not as godly as any software you'd pay for, but enough to get the job done for most hobbyists.
Apple and Adobe also have (had?) a good relationship. Apple promotes their product as an artists environment. And they do a good job of it

Conclusion: Which is better
In my opinion, PCs are better suited for a desktop workstation. If you need something portable, you can go either way. the new macbook pros have insane battery life, and run steam games and such very nicely.
A friend of mine actually sold his gaming rig to buy a higher-end macbook pro, and considering how much time we spend at school I'd say is was a great idea.
I personally have a gaming rig at home, and a low-end notebook I carry around for school and it works fine. It's really a matter of personal preference
Unreal_Me
Regular
Regular

Postby Chopium on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Actually, Apple's dark side is starting to show more and more. I'm starting to see a lot of articles and journals about Apple with negativity as a center. I just saw an Apple related article on Gawker and decided to post a link to the Apple tag because it's slightly relevant. Look at all the negative articles. Bad Publicity if anything. [Gawker]
Chopium

Postby Vicpop on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:01 am

HotFuzz wrote:Why Mac, Why PC , Why So different?
Why Does the Mac Gross so little, Why do primarily pay for plastic while buying a Mac, Why dont Mac's have viruses
Why Does the PC out gross the mac by almost 85%, Why is the PC Cheaper, Why does the PC have a larger dark side to it
Why do people say Mac's are better for editing? Why do people say Mac's are for graphics when PC's have more powerful
Graphic capabilities. Why?
Which is really better?
p.s Why would steam put games on Mac? (Profit)

Your questions sound pretty biased in preference of Windows based systems.

I don't understand what you mean by "primarily pay for plastic"-- if you mean the contents of the computer are largely plastics, then... you're right, but that's the case for most computers in general.

Mac viruses exist, they're just less common since the personal computer user base is largely Windows-centric. The people designing viruses target Windows because that's where most of the users are.

The reason Windows has a larger user base has to do with the fact that Windows was adopted as an operating system for businesses very early on, and therefore that's where most of the software development was taking place / Microsoft gained most of the market share.

"The PC" isn't necessarily cheaper. Apple has a reputation for having high prices for their personal computers, but whether or not they really are high prices is up to you. In my opinion, their "budget" computers like the Mac Mini provide more than adequate performance for OS X with a tiny form factor as well as quiet operation.

Windows-based computers seeming to have a "larger dark side" is your perception of how Microsoft is typically reported on. Think critically and form your own opinions.

Macs aren't necessarily better for editing (I presume you mean video editing). Apple's video editing suite Final Cut has gained a lot of attention in the indie filmmaking crowd. I don't know why. People seem to like Apple's aesthetic ideas.

I think what you're hearing about graphics is actually people talking about graphic design. Again it's totally up to the user as to whether or not Macs are "better". There's no conclusive answer.

I don't think there's any real reason to care about graphics capability. The majority of Mac users aren't gamers (which may or may not be starting to change). I personally believe the effort should be put into general usability. Apple chooses their hardware according to how they want their software to perform. I should say that I use Windows, OS X, and Linux-based operating systems near equally, and that I use all three of them for different purposes.

"Which is really better" is a dumb question. It will never be anything other than personal preference.

Why would Valve put games onto a platform that has a very low amount of the market share in gaming? Seems like they want it to expand, but read their press releases.
Vicpop
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby HotFuzz on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:09 am

I am a pro mac hater. I have been to school for roughly 3 years now for Computer Engineering and Software engineering. Being enlisted soldier I work primarily with PC systems. Doing lots of work with stocks I watch how Microsoft slams apple to the ground. I just trying to figure out the median why people like mac and hate pc and vise versa. I hate Mac's primarily cause there ugly and slow. All hardware is not compatible with mac must have mac approved hardware. Mac tries to solo them selves, to mac only stuff when PC runs with everything. Sure throw itunes on Sure the Eclipse Object C IDE on, Mac on the other hand tries to exclusive. I read in fobes magazine onetime that Microsoft claims that if it wasen't for the monopolizing law that they would straight up by apple and take them off the charts. This also reminds me of Intel vs AMD lol
HotFuzz
Regular
Regular

Postby Vicpop on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 am

There are many companies that could very easily become monopolies if it were legal. The hardware thing isn't technically a freedom. I don't understand why you would want to find security/entertainment in hating something.

I think most of what you're saying comes from not understanding why they would do such things in the first place. They would need to have a reason to take those kinds of freedoms away, right? I don't understand where you get the idea that OS X development is moderated by Apple. They release the XCode tools for free on the OS X disc. You can license applications made for OS X however you like. You can distribute applications made for OS X however you like.
Vicpop
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dr. KillPatient on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:08 am

Personally I'd say PC if you have the basic hardware/software knowledge to fix the minor problems that will, without attention, eventually become a much larger issue. Mac feels so restrictive when it comes to program choice.
Currently I have an aged (but still very reliable) Gateway FX7206 with Win7 as my gaming/mapping computer. So far it's only had one major problem that hasn't been user-influenced, that being a graphics card failure. It was easily resolved however, just a quick swap and it works like new.
With a Mac, on the other hand, errors do tend to happen a bit less, but when one does occur, you usually have no choice but to go to Apple to get it fixed. If you have the knowledge and tools, you can fix most Windows-related problems yourself. Not so on a Mac.
Despite my complaints I do in fact have a Macbook for school, only because all the Windows laptops I've looked at have crappy keyboards and I really just need it to take notes and such. Were it not for my warranty, Win7 would be on that laptop already.
We cannot read the Freeman's optical buds.
Dr. KillPatient
Regular
Regular

Postby RefaelBA on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:18 am

I worked on Macs and PCs, and I agree Unstoppable basically, though recently Apple really put me off.
RefaelBA

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Why do you drive a Volkswagen instead of a Audi?
Same question. Answer: It's all about taste.
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Next

Return to Serious Discussion