quantum information/computer science

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

quantum information/computer science

Postby Sentura on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:46 am

i'm a fan of quantum mechanics, because i always had it in the back of my head that classical physics are unstable measurements, bound by unstable empiric rules. i would have loved to go up to newton or galileo, pointing my finger and say, "haha" with the glee of an ignorant idiot; but never mind that.

with quantum mechanics, we are actually experiencing 'the future' 20th century science fiction writers were dreaming about. or well, we're getting there. what has recently struck me as interesting however, is quantum computing, and the application thereof in the real world. i have only found bits of information on wikipedia, and i was wondering if anyone knew more. i know there are a few quantum programming languages out there, has anyone experimented with them? does anyone here really care?
Sentura
Regular
Regular

Re: quantum information/computer science

Postby staberas on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:56 am

to answer to your question no,simple because i dont have a quantum computer to test the language.
and yes i care about quantum computing, its the next evolution of computer science after the invention of the transistor.
staberas
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby coder0xff on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 am

Interested, yes. And I do know a tiny bit, but honestly there's not a whole lot to know unless you're a researcher. In that case, there's lots to know about quantum mechanics and how it MIGHT apply to quantum computers someday. As far as I know, there is no quantum computing "language" yet, but merely primitive (as in basic unit) quantum operations that might some day be assigned as computer instructions - like how boolean logic operations are assigned to assembly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_operation. If you're interested in information at the hardware level lemme know, and I'll see what I can dig up.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sentura on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:47 pm

yeah i'd be interested coder0xff.
Sentura
Regular
Regular

Postby coder0xff on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:38 pm

The title of this article misrepresents a little, but it had the most detailed description of the process of entanglement and writing/reading qubits that I've read yet. It's kinda old news, but I'm not aware of any other advances since then: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482264,00.html
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Theres a bunch of cool videos on youtube from tv shows and whatnot where they talk to researchers who show off their actual quantum computers. I don't know if any contain the technical sophistication you are looking for, but for a super unintelligible high level discussion there is also a google tech talk video up about it.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Serious Discussion