Source Modding Community SDK Petition

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: Source Modding Community SDK Petition

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 am

i was told that if i ever, EVER ... aw fuck it never mind. steam is down and im bored
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DrFeelGood on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 am

Well, as I stated, my IRC room is avaliable...
DrFeelGood
Regular
Regular

Postby windlab on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:21 am

I'm now getting:
Steam wrote:Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not connected to the internet.-101
Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not connected to the internet.

EDIT: Back online

I have updated the original post to better reflect the current issues with the SDK, and what could be done to improve the situation.

Please share your opinions and give suggestions!
Last edited by windlab on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
windlab
Regular
Regular

Postby DrFeelGood on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:24 am

Steam is backup for me, but I havent tried the community page yet
DrFeelGood
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:41 am

say!! maybe you could put some notes up about how Valve can improve steam too :)
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jgoodroad on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 am

as long as they make it so people with the hamster-powered computers don't get left behind in the dust...
CURSE YOU PEOPLE WHO CAN MAP FOR L4D!

CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby source-maps on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:23 am

jgoodroad wrote:CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!

I lol'd

anyway, 600 $ and you have a new pc.. work for two months @ a shitty job and it's yours
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby windlab on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:21 am

Could those of you that are members of other Source modding forums please bring this up on them?
Just quote the original post, or say something of your own along similar lines, but make sure to link to:

this thread - http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33491
and
the SDK Improvement Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fix_the_sdk

Remember this is a group effort, and it's time more was done than individual forum complaints about SDK issues.
windlab
Regular
Regular

Postby Varsity on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:23 pm

I think we should be petitioning Valve to release the source code needed to create new in-game tools (Particle Editor, Filmmaker, etc). Working within Source itself would make creating a new level editor a lot easier.
Varsity

Postby Noodles on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Varsity wrote:I think we should be petitioning Valve to release the source code needed to create new in-game tools (Particle Editor, Filmmaker, etc). Working within Source itself would make creating a new level editor a lot easier.

No, I think we're asking too much there. Valve want the monopoly on those, they aren't exactly going to release the Film-maker stuff when they know they can hold it in reserve to use later (when tf2 audience drops low, bring out the Meet the Pyro/Meet the Medic and Bam! tf2 enthusiasm instantly increases).

Or am I just being too cynical...
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Plague on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Noodles wrote:
Varsity wrote:I think we should be petitioning Valve to release the source code needed to create new in-game tools (Particle Editor, Filmmaker, etc). Working within Source itself would make creating a new level editor a lot easier.

No, I think we're asking too much there. Valve want the monopoly on those, they aren't exactly going to release the Film-maker stuff when they know they can hold it in reserve to use later (when tf2 audience drops low, bring out the Meet the Pyro/Meet the Medic and Bam! tf2 enthusiasm instantly increases).

Or am I just being too cynical...

No one appears to remember Gabe saying that they don't do MtT vids for nothing.
He specifically stated that each video is to make examples of what can be done. I.E. Spy's was for heavy story, Heavy was recycled VA stuff ect ect ect.

We will most likely see it one day released publicly.

Also releasing that code, which would be mostly just giving away the Source engine code, is out of the question.
That would give you the ability to no longer be constrained to Valve's tools and while good for what we want it means Valve has no leeway on us.
When a company has nothing to entice you with... they are out of the business.
BUT the introduction of a plugin scripting language would be realistic and very helpful.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Varsity on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Releasing the code that would allow us to make new tools does not have to mean releasing the code to the Filmmaker. Why anyone would suggest that Valve are reluctant to release source code I don't know...
Varsity

Postby Plague on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:21 pm

Film maker yes, I was talking about giving the
I think we should be petitioning Valve to release the source code needed to create new in-game tools

Which would require elements of the Engine code.

Edit:
Gonna start kicking old group since no one wants to pay attention.
Here ya go if you guys ever get to it. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fix_the_sdk
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:04 pm

I still want a fix for my arrow keys in the material editor. I hate using 'z' cam.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby reepblue on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Armageddon wrote:I still want a fix for my arrow keys in the material editor. I hate using 'z' cam.

Personally, I got use to it. I now use Z cam all the time. But ever since the Mac updates, Hammer for me has more and more issues. Not just with Vrad, but how about Hammer just crashing when you click on an entity after 2 hours of it open? Or how about yellow lines all over your screen when you first open the vmf? I turn auto updates off now for my SDK and have a back-up of the files just in case. I used to look forward to any updates to the SDK, but now I fear that Hammer will not open for me but everyone else.

Also, as I'm not such a coder, I had a harder time creating a Source mod then I did say a year ago. I remember doing 2 or so things to make it compile and work. But the last time I did it a week or so ago, I had to do a full operation.

You would expect the Source SDK to be the best tools to use, but its just patches over patches. A patch to fix one issue causes another issue so they patch it with a patch that fixes that issue but screws something else up, etc.
reepblue

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Discussion