Job help

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Job help

Postby cz_squishy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Treyarch is currently hiring and I was thinking about applying for a position. I'm 18, still in college, and have about 5 years of level design experience. My question for you guys currently in the game development world is what should I include with my resume, demo reels, and such? Along with the do's and don'ts with this as I really want to get a job with a company like this.
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Job help

Postby Dr. Delta on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 pm

<captain-obvious-mode>Portfolio/website perhaps?</captain-obvious-mode>

More serious, Vivi told me about the concept of a 15 minute mod, a mod which takes ~15 minutes to play, to display the finest of the finest of your skill of making maps, creating gameplay etc.

By keeping it only 15 minutes it's very approachable for them to play and it's easy to display your current level of skills(, further more you could include a commentary mode and explain why you made certain design choices).
Also, I'd strongly advice you showing different versions, why you changed specific parts (what did people say during play-testing, how did you use it and why?), why did you want the player to do X here and how did you get him to do that.

I could probably come up with more, but since I'm not in The Industry yet, I'm not your target, anyhow, my 2 cents.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Serious Discussion