State of health of the oceans

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

State of health of the oceans

Postby Xufe on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:30 pm

If anyone is actually informed about the current state of the seas/lakes/oceans you cna post here.

So far about 0,5 of the ocean is a safed from fishing
There are garbage patches all around the seas, all in all there is enoguh plastic garbage to cover whole africa
there are around 400 "dead zones" , zones were the oxygen percentage is very, very low
90 % of the big sea predators are non-existent
75-90% of the fishinggrounds are overfished or emtpy
The amount of jellyfishes is exploding due to overfishing.
There are huge amounts of atomic waste and a company in fracne is planning to make a underwater nuclear power plant.

Furthermore the souring of the oceans ( due to the absorbing of CO2) will lead to less mussels and less coralreefs,which are already dying due to hoter water.
And some fishes seem to get deaf.
Also the hoter cliamte could indirectly lead to a weakening of the gulf stream.

Thoughts?
Xufe
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: State of health of the oceans

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Xufe wrote:If anyone is actually informed about the current state of the seas/lakes/oceans you cna post here.

So far about 0,5 of the ocean is a safed from fishing
Wut?
Xufe wrote:There are garbage patches all around the seas, all in all there is enoguh plastic garbage to cover whole africa
Bullocks. Theres a lot, but not to cover the whole of africa. That is, if you mean the contintent. "Africa (Miriam Makeba album)", an album by Miriam Makeba and "Africa (Perpetuum Jazzile album)", an album by Perpetuum Jazzile are also Africa's which im sure we can cover with plastic garbage
Xufe wrote:there are around 400 "dead zones" , zones were the oxygen percentage is very, very low
Only 400? Oceans are doing a lot better then!
Xufe wrote:90 % of the big sea predators are non-existent
Big who cares

Xufe wrote:75-90% of the fishinggrounds are overfished or emtpy
I only eat fishsticks. Cant wait till fish is gone so we can move to more decent meats like piggies and cows, lams and ostrich.
Xufe wrote:The amount of jellyfishes is exploding due to overfishing.

wikipedia wrote:Traditional processing methods, carried out by a Jellyfish Master, involve a 20 to 40 day multi-phase procedure in which after removing the gonads and mucous membranes, the umbrella and oral arms are treated with a mixture of table salt and alum, and compressed.[25] Processing reduces liquefaction, off-odors and the growth of spoilage organisms, and makes the jellyfish drier and more acidic, producing a "crunchy and crispy texture."[25] Jellyfish prepared this way retain 7-10% of their original weight, and the processed product contains approximately 94% water and 6% protein.[25] Freshly processed jellyfish has a white, creamy color and turns yellow or brown during prolonged storage.

In China, processed jellyfish are desalted by soaking in water overnight and eaten cooked or raw. The dish is often served shredded with a dressing of oil, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar, or as a salad with vegetables.[25] In Japan, cured jellyfish are rinsed, cut into strips and served with vinegar as an appetizer.[25][26] Desalted, ready-to-eat products are also available.[25]

Fisheries have begun harvesting the American cannonball jellyfish, Stomolophus meleagris, along the southern Atlantic coast of the United States and in the Gulf of Mexico for export to Asia.[25]

Xufe wrote:There are huge amounts of atomic waste and a company in fracne is planning to make a underwater nuclear power plant.
Huge amounts? Let's say we have always produced our current amount of about 10000 tons of nuclear waste per year, and we have done so since the beginning of nuclear power, or about 50 years. this means theres a total MAX amount of 500.000 tons of nuclear waste on the planet. All the oceans in the world combined are estimated to contain 1.5 billion km2 of water. You do the maths. Plenty of space for more garbage.

as for France... Whats wrong with buidling underwater nuclear power plants? Fuckyoushima cant happen since theres more coolingwater than it can ever need, not even talking about the fact that modern powerplants are leages safer than fuckyoushima. Rather have one french nuclear powerplant in the ocean than 10 chineese somewhere on the planet.

Xufe wrote:Furthermore the souring of the oceans ( due to the absorbing of CO2) will lead to less mussels and less coralreefs,which are already dying due to hoter water.
Big who cares.

Xufe wrote:And some fishes seem to get deaf.
Hearingaids are getting cheaper by the minute. Still, once we fished them all out nobody cares about deaf fish.
Xufe wrote:Also the hoter cliamte could indirectly lead to a weakening of the gulf stream.
Thoughts?
Cause and effect, has nothing to do with the 'health' of the oceans per se.

Oh, and i hate greenpeace and love whalers. Peace out.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:12 pm

I love you Z@C.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Why is banter back?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Armageddon wrote:Why is banter back?

Cos. Hey Arma.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Major Banter wrote:
Armageddon wrote:Why is banter back?

Cos. Hey Arma.

Hai Banter.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Spike on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:57 am

Xufe
Just Joined
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:30 am

I do care about the coral reefs and the ocean life, But it doesn't exactly effect me at all. It'll probably all die one day any ways and in a million years have dragons coming out of under water caves.

Even if it is gonna start going down hill "Which the whole world is" there isn't any thing you could do any ways. Greedy companies would never stop doing what they're doing, and people will always throw things in the ocean and pollute it.
I don't care how much you strike, and go against it.. You can't fix it. You cant fix the government or how people act. There isn't much in this world that can be "fixed" any more.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Knights on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:02 am

I get what this guys saying he just can't exactly speak engish dat well... Yes the oceans fucked, it's sickening but nothing can or will be done about it thanks to the lazy humans that live here...
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dives on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:48 am

I think we should stop dumping trash in the ocean because we might anger Cthulhu.

You wouldn't like him when he's angry.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby trcc on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:15 am

jangalomph wrote:I do care about the coral reefs and the ocean life, But it doesn't exactly effect me at all. It'll probably all die one day any ways and in a million years have dragons coming out of under water caves.

Even if it is gonna start going down hill "Which the whole world is" there isn't any thing you could do any ways. Greedy companies would never stop doing what they're doing, and people will always throw things in the ocean and pollute it.
I don't care how much you strike, and go against it.. You can't fix it. You cant fix the government or how people act. There isn't much in this world that can be "fixed" any more.

Greedy companies that we all keep buying stuffs from huh? Don't put all the blame on companies. We are the reason they exist, the consumers. We can fix it but everyone has to participate.

Humanity need a wake up call and quick!
trcc
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 am

Humanity will never get a wake up call. They're selfish ;)
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 am

Look at it this way, if they can't adapt and evolve to eat our trash then they were never meant to survive.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby LordDz on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 am

jangalomph wrote:I do care about the coral reefs and the ocean life, But it doesn't exactly effect me at all. It'll probably all die one day any ways and in a million years have dragons coming out of under water caves.

Pretty sure people said the same thing about slavery and look at it, it's not here anymore. So it can be fixed. People = Corporations.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Go snorkeling and then you will care about the reefs and fishies!

They are too pretty to let die!

Also it is important to stop extinction of random sea creatures because it disrupts the ecosystem, breaking the natural food chain. Even if all you care about is the fish you eat it is important to realize that breaking other parts of the ecosystem will destroy the fish you eat. It's like how people don't care about the bees but without the bees we can't have flowers, and without flowers the netherlands economy will collapse and z@c will be destitute, and no one wants that.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Serious Discussion