Unable to play video

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Unable to play video

Postby blueaura on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Hello, Im new in the forum, I need a serious help.

dont know why, but each video i make (.bik) and try to launch the video in-game (mod actually) it says "unable to play video (videoname.bik)" and i know i cant use any other file format, right?, i tried to launch it by console, by point_clientcommand inside a map, and even tried playvideo_exitcommand but the only thing i got is freeze and game crash.

I must search for help, i tried many ways, and i founded a topic here how to launch these videos, but no one there had same problem as me, and i need those videos asap cause they are cutscenes between chapters of my game (they bring an atmosphere and a storyline to my mod)
blueaura
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Unable to play video

Postby LordDz on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 pm

Try using the .avi format instead?
Or check this out.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Startup_Videos
Last edited by LordDz on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby blueaura on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:22 pm

really? I only found .bik format, nothing about .avi, Im dead serious. also, If you didint get me right (but i think you do) im talking not about the intro while im launching game but the chapters.
blueaura
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby LordDz on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:23 pm

I get you, just saying the intro videos are playing with .avi format, so it should probably be the same thing?
What are you calling to play the videos with pointclientcommand? Are the files in the correct folder?
(just testing questions here).
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby blueaura on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Folder Mod/media/and here are the .bik videos. my custom intro when im launching game works, while the videos which should open with the chapter start dont. Logic_auto sends a msg. "OnMapSpawn" "CMD" (cmd is the name of point_clientcommand) "command" "playvideo 1", which ends with the same result unable to play video, also tried "playvideo 1.bik" or "playvideo media/1.bik", "playvideo media/1" but still does not work. im going to try the .avi format
blueaura
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby LordDz on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Googled a bit and found this.
eXeC64 wrote:I did the programming for Nightmare House 2, so I can tell you how I got it working. It's actually very easy to fix video playback in Source 2007.

Just change line 26 of
src/game/client/vgui_video.cpp
from this
vgui::VPANEL pParent = enginevgui->GetPanel( PANEL_GAMEUIDLL );
to this
vgui::VPANEL pParent = enginevgui->GetPanel( PANEL_ROOT );

Then you can just trigger the playvideo command in hammer.

http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/sourc ... es-in-game
Since you already got a mod it should be easy to fix.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby blueaura on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Oh god... I always need to have things going wrong, Im appreciate for you help, very nice to see someone actually helping, now, I know i did something wrong again :( I have no vgui_video.cpp in my src/game/client folder! and i dont know now if I need to delete everything and start all over again...

*Edit* I have copied some other .cpp file and clean it, then paste a whole vgui_video.cpp from the file i found in the web, and fix as Exec said, lets see if it works.

*Edit*
Nope, still doesn't work, I will try now to build solution again and open in debug mode from visual studio.

*Edit* Still nothing. I will start everything step by step again, and just copy the important stuff from this one. meh.

*Edit again* Oh, but also. Thanks for help. :D
blueaura
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Serious Discussion