Max Payne

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Max Payne

Postby nub on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 pm

If you are at all worried about hearing anything you think might spoil the movie, then don't read. All I am talking about, briefly, is how the movie is setup when compared to the original game. I mention some slight character relationship/role differences, and what scenes were made or left out from the game.

So I saw the movie Sunday night, and I loved it.

Now, if any of you were fans of the games, you might be curious about how they played out the storyline in the movie. Well they did leave out some very specific areas like the hotels or the mansion; and a few side characters, but the necessary pieces were put into the movie. Ragnarok, one of the very important areas in the original game, was in there since some of you are probably dying to know.

In the game, the very beginning was when you came home from work, and you already knew something was up, so you made your way upstairs and you discovered your murdered wife and child (after killing about 3 guys). Well that wasn't exactly when it showed that in the movie. The movie did explain what happened to Max Payne at the beginning, but in a very different aspect. That specific scene isn't left out, so don't fret.

The key points that put Max Payne in his position in the game were in the movie, so there's no need to worry. However, there's some slight character relationship differences. I won't explain the important ones, however. All I will say is that there's no real relationship development between Mona Sax and Max Payne like there somewhat was in the game. Although I'm not sure if there was any in the first game and it only showed in the second game (Like the first in-game scene was Max Payne puttin' Mona up against the wall in some warehouse, about to have rough sex with her).

The movie started off kind of slow, but it hit some dramatic spikes of action, and the climax was just pretty fucking insane. I overall enjoyed it, and it's by far the only video game movie I've ever really liked. The Resident Evil films never appealed to me, let alone the Doom movie, which was an utter failure. If you were thinking about seeing it, go for it. It'll be worth your while.

Also, that bitch from That 70's Show that plays as Jackie, plays as Mona Sax. So if you hate her voice (I personally can't stand it) then you might be let down. She's pretty, but I just don't think she fits the role as a girl in a trench coat wielding an automatic weapon, and I personally think her acting is a bit smarmy. You be the judge.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Max Payne

Postby Oakley on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:56 pm

Sounds good. From this I am still going to go.
Oakley
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Penney on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:26 pm

I saw the movie, I didn't dislike it but they definetly could have made it better. It was a decent action movie, but still lacking some important pieces and changed around to suit the directors and not the original designers.

Atleast it wasn't directed by uwe'ie boy.
Penney

Postby otihome2469 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:19 am

I am a fan of the game but I don't let that ruin my judgment on films. I thought this movie was very mediocre and maybe even below that. He had alot of awkaward moments and it seemed as of they tried to kill off characters as soon as they can, I dunno didint like it.
otihome2469
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby 1447 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:26 am

My problem when I went to see this movie, was that I was expecting something close to the original game. Besides some of the main character names, the Valkyr drug etc, nothing from the game made it over to the movie. The plot was completely different, and most of the bad guys weren't even there. Where I was expecting an epic one man war, I got some crime drama. It wasn't a bad movie, I was just expecting something entirely different.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dionysos on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:04 pm

1447 wrote:My problem when I went to see this movie, was that I was expecting something close to the original game. Besides some of the main character names, the Valkyr drug etc, nothing from the game made it over to the movie. The plot was completely different, and most of the bad guys weren't even there. Where I was expecting an epic one man war, I got some crime drama. It wasn't a bad movie, I was just expecting something entirely different.

That makes me sad. No "I have tasted the flesh of angels"? Or was that pt2 maybe...
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby moconnor on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:46 pm

Wahlberg is a terrible Max Payne in my opinion. Although I did have expectations, I did give it a chance. Nowhere near enough action. I found it quite boring, not that I expected to be on the edge of my seat, but. . ya know. Once again another disappointing game turn movie :(
moconnor
Regular
Regular

Postby medestruit on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:27 am

Well, the bigger issue with the movie...the director cut out a lot of the Max Payne stylization to get the movie to a PG-13 rating. For some reason he didn't want it to be R-rated(even though originally it was, until he bitched and moaned about it until he got his PG-13 rating). It's hard to do a good M rated game without using it's equivalent movie rating.
medestruit
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to Media