STALKER - movie & game

Films, albums, random internet videos.

STALKER - movie & game

Postby elemenz on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Just wasted 2,5 h of my life by watcihng the 1979 STALKER film, based on which the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R was made. The movie in 2 words: IT SUCKED !!!

It was a tsech movie, so what should I've expected ?
The whole thing was reaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllly sloooooooooooooow tempo epic booooooooooooooring
dialog about life, feelings, etc bla bla bla. Sci-fi talk ? NON ! Nothing, the only things they mentioned was that there is a "zone" which is "mystical" 'cos some meteor hit it 20 years ago and the army has surrounded it and nobody even went in and came back ! zomg....

Well, even a 6yo kid could've made SOMETHING up, but this movie seriously was a killer...
3 guys, the stalker, a writer, and a scientist break into the Zone and just go BLAA BLA BLAAA BLA BLA.
If you thought of watching this movie because you played the game, DON'T !
I rather suggest you watch mudkips 2,5 h going: "mud ..... KIP !"

And at the end they didn't even enter or even SHOW the epic room of mystical powers. FUCKERS !
But the stalkers mutant daughter whos name was monkey and who had no legs, well she had telekinetic powers, which would've been ok, if that fact would've brought to us NOT in the last 2 minutes of the movie, and NOT been shown pushing glasses off the a table with some cheap ass magnet trick....

Jeesus effin christ...

Ok I'm not even going into the game, how horribly bugged it was etc. >_<

(no point in this 'review', just had to let some steam out....... phew, thanks for reading)
elemenz

Re: STALKER - movie & game

Postby ghost12332 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Please. Don't rant, and also shut the fuck up. Stalker is a philosphical master, and it's quite a bit deeper. Yes, it's slow, but the movie was made in 1979. There was no 3d uber effects and special powers.

It's simply one mans journey to realize if going into the room was really worth it. All you fucking action junkies need to go die somewhere, have you never learned to appreciate and find the deeper meaning within things besides scraping the surface like a retard?

Your also forgetting the factor that this was made in Soviet Russia, and the movie was almost canceled because of censorship. I've found that the philosphical thinkers that I know like it, and the braindead fps nerds hate it because they want everything to be one big adrenaline pounding rollercoaster.
Last edited by ghost12332 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby Crenfear on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:33 pm

That... was the best flame I've ever heard... "Jeesus effin christ..."=BRILLIANT
3:39 PM - vulcus: if i were him
3:40 PM - vulcus: I would have embraced them with my boner
-------
RockstarHilbily: Play that while you bone your "girlfriend"
The Jukebox: :l
The Jukebox: Play that, while you bone your palm.
Crenfear
Regular
Regular

Postby Athlete{UK} on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 pm

The film was based on the book. road Side Picnic. The Game borrow heavily from both but is not an adapation.

Your problem is you went into into it thinking it was, only to discover it's actually a very different story.

To say you dislike it that's fair enough. Though i honestly disagree with what you re saying since it seems to me you are just venting the fact that you prefer balls out action films. Which is fair enough but you can't say a film sucks just because it wasn't the kind of film you are into.

having said that the film isn't the best thing ever and the pacing can drag a lot at time but the philosophy in the film is reflective of a deep undercurrent of feeling present in the area and time it was made. It's also the reason i prefer the book. In atters of philosophy it allows more time to digest the meaning.

The developers of the game are based in the area of the subject matter so it feels only natural they should want to work with something so reflective of the world around them. Just remember that the order for the game was book, film, game not the other way around.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jeeves on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:32 pm

elemenz you are a Philistine. :|
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Postby ghost12332 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:02 am

Indeed his is.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby vecima on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 pm

If you realize that the game isn't based on the movie, but rather references the story (even in it's title), then you can go into it without expecting an action flick.

Taken for what it is, the film was good. It was philosophical, yes, but that was already mentioned, so I'll point out that it has some VERY beautiful and at times mesmerizing screen work. If you begin to realize what the correlation is between the movie/book, and the game, then having seen it you can get that out of it too.

For those too lazy:
In the book/movie there is a fictional zone that people are not allowed into. It's guarded by military forces. Sometimes people will act as guides for others that want to explore the zone. those guides are called stalkers (the movie's title).

In the game, there is a different zone, the "Exclusion Zone" (based on the real-life area around Chernobyl). In the game, it is guarded by military forces. sometimes people enter the zone to make their fortune, and since the book/movie exist in the fiction of the game, the characters, and subsequently the game, adopted the title "stalkers".
vecima
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby L.T. Mark101 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:10 pm

I like the game, and the movie. I played the game befor the movie, but I looked up the movie before I watched it. Both diffrent stroys, but both are good. Think before you post. As said before "To say you dislike it that's fair enough."
L.T. Mark101

Postby Gazaraz on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:24 pm

The book, Roadside Picnic is a good insight into want inspired STALKER. I found it to be a bit slow in places but it's more about the mystery of the zone rather than all out action.
Gazaraz

Postby Penney on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:24 am

I'll agree, Stalker is probably the most boring, interesting movie I've ever watched. But you can't rip on it that much. If you want a movie that is a waste of time, energy, money, brain cells...

Penney

Postby nub on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Athlete{UK} wrote:To say you dislike it that's fair enough. Though i honestly disagree with what you re saying since it seems to me you are just venting the fact that you prefer balls out action films. Which is fair enough but you can't say a film sucks just because it wasn't the kind of film you are into.

I live by this fact, day after day. It pisses me off when people think something is shitty just because it doesn't appeal to them. An example (prepare for rant):

[rant]
I myself am not a WoW player, but when Halo 3 kids say "WoW is the shittiest thing that's ever been made," I get pissed off at them. Statistically, WoW is more popular than Halo 3 and holds way more potential than Halo 3. The worse part is they don't give a reason for hating the game in the first place, they just say it sucks because they want to make Halo look like the best game ever, and they only care about their precious Xbox 360.

The funniest thing is when people think consoles have better graphics than computers are capable of, even though all their console games are made using computers in the first place.
[/rant]

The Stalker game was great, regardless of its plethora of bugs and hiccups every now and then. It's still playable, it's still beatable, and any unbalanced mechanic in the game is able to be modded to make things work better. I think the fact that GSC allows you to mod just about every part of the game is a great thing; and not to mention that you can freely distribute their content with proper credit. Just look at all the STALKER weapon ports to CSS at FPSB, they never get removed due to legal reasons like other ports do. Also, there's tons of mods out for both STALKER games which greatly improve the experience (EX: Oblivion Lost mod for the first STALKER).

I never saw the movie, but yeah...after seeing The Happening...I really can't bother to think of anything worse than that colossal failure. Signs was good, Lady in the Water was ok, The Village sucked, but...The Happening just...

...omg...

Anyway, I honestly disagree with just about every aspect you've mentioned, Elemenz. Well, every aspect I understood, since you type horribly...or it could be that you have poor literacy skills. If you're going to try and state your opinion, you should at least do it properly, and make sure you know what you're talking about next time so your thread doesn't end up like this one.

Good day, Sir.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Media