The Pirate Bay trial ended, the verdict: guilty

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Re: The Pirate Bay trial ended, the verdict: guilty

Postby Sacul15 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:06 pm

I can understand the verdict. Their website did facilitate the downloading of illegal media, had the information and capability of stopping or at least reporting offenders, and did nothing. It's like if you help a friend rob a bank. You provide him information about the bank and how to go about robbing it, but you aren't actually involved with the actual heist. You are still an associate to an illegal activity. So, I agree with the verdict. The punishment, on the other hand, seems a bit extreme. So you punish the guy involved in the bank robbery by making him pay back all the money that was stolen, while the actually thieves get away. I think it would be appropriate if the court made them shut down or restructure the site, but without any fines or jail time.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby dissonance on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Stolen?
There's a difference between physically stealing a CD and missing a sale.
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Something on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 pm

Its not the CD, but the content. I'm not saying the music industry is perfect, but trying to rationalize the stealing of the intellectual properties of others is asinine.
Something
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Sacul15 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:34 pm

dissonance wrote:Stolen?
There's a difference between physically stealing a CD and missing a sale.

I agree. My personal policy is that if I would buy it if a torrent wasn't available, then I buy it anyway. If not, then I just torrent it. In the latter case, the company isn't losing any money off of that download. In the former, if I were to download it illegally, then the company is losing money off of that sale. I wish there were a way for legal systems to determine which cases are which, but unfortunately there isn't. I agree with the previous points that industries need to adapt (and stop being dickheads, in many cases), but that doesn't mean that they don't have the right to ensure that they aren't losing money to illegal downloads, and the only way to do that (at least the only way at the current point in time) is to prosecute all people who download their stuff, regardless of intention or whether they are actually losing sales.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dionysos on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:41 am

Something wrote:Its not the CD, but the content. I'm not saying the music industry is perfect, but trying to rationalize the stealing of the intellectual properties of others is asinine.

Material stealing and copying of information is NOT the same. No one is stealing intellectual properties either, that would be actually stealing the copyright which is completely ridiculous. What you mean is unauthorised viewing or rather usage of that information (the songs), or rather listening without a license to do so. Copyrights, and our copyright system today is outdated and limiting in too many ways. The filesharing is an outlet and a symptom of that. People need to stop regarding the information that, in this day and age, has to be regarded as having been made public, constitutes songs etc the same as material objects.

Stealing a CD isnt even stealing songs, its stealing a CD. Sure, *that* is stealing, you remove an object. Stealing a song is if you demand all the credit for yourself even though someone else has written it.

The copyright system has to be reformed, the situation of monopoly, patronisation of customers and limiting of available products and quality range is what has provoked and made filesharing as attractive and widespread as it is today. Cases such as the pirate bay's are good for society because it requires a rethinking of this system, no matter where filesharing may end up in the end.

IMO the labels today are mostly unnecessary, and even harmful. I see absolutely nothing wrong with sharing music that has been released. No other line of work exists (that I can think of now at least) where people can do one service, and get payed for that service again and again. Oh, and dont think I dont pay for music, I spend quite a lot on it and people who play it actually. Im also aware that I will prolly not convince anyone of my point of view who hasnt come there himself, cest la vie.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby 904 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:40 am

Design Section Moderator

Postby thebeanie on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:47 am

904 wrote:Image

Desktop'd.
thebeanie
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:08 am

dissonance wrote:Dinosaurs are awesome, so your analogy is flawed.
I'd compare them to one of those turds that refuses to be flushed no matter how many times you try.

But this analogy is flawed as well. These unflushable turds may become flushable by jabbing it apart with a broom stick or the like.

I'd say it's simply just...yeah...it's just...something not good that won't go away.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dissonance on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Fuck, I don't even remember making that analogy.
In that case, nub, I'm guessing that the broom is sites like TPB and mininova, forcing the current industry/model to break up or reconfigure itself to fit down the drai-... erm.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spike on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Since when file sharing is ilegal?
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dionysos on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:27 pm

Well I think when it comes to europe, Spain is pretty much the only country where it's legal according to the courts.

I like the analogy of TPB being the stick btw.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby dissonance on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:29 pm

Spike wrote:Since when file sharing is ilegal?
It's not. Sharing of copyrighted works is, apparently.
How Google gets away with it when TPB can't boggles my mind.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 pm

They should've sued Google so they would lose, and no one would ever triy suing anyone else.

Google > all.

Also, file downloading in Canada is legal, it's the uploading that isn't.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sacul15 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:29 pm

I don't think TPB should have been charged with illegal file sharing. With refusing to take down copyrighted material and supporting illegal activity, perhaps. That's the difference between them and Google. When Google learns of copyrighted material on their sites (Youtube, for instance), they remove it. And in all honesty TPB were pretty big dicks about it.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby cypher543 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:11 am

When Google learns of copyrighted material on their sites (Youtube, for instance), they remove it.

cypher543
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

PreviousNext

Return to Media