Re: AVATAR

Postby [JFG]Propaganda on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 am

There is no option for "didn't see it and will never see it"
[JFG]Propaganda
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Terr on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:06 am

I'm trying to find another of those "re-used book report" images like the Pocahontas one, except it was based on the book Xenocide.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Kremator on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:32 am

Entertaining movie but not one that will change your life, it woos you with the visuals and pretty much nothing else. Don't get me wrong, a lot of effort has been put into the construction of this movie, it's just a shame that there's not a better plot to go along with it, would've been film of the decade.

Also, it felt a bit like a strange furry fanfic at times which made me a little queasy.
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Noodles on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:30 pm

CaptrTheBag wrote:I thought Avatar by James Cameron was one of the best films I have ever seen in my life personally, not because of the amazing effects and CGI in IMAX 3D, but because the story was so compelling and moving along the way. This film is definitely ground breaking in the industry and I have a feeling it will change the way we view film through the rest of our life. If you are planning to see it, watch in IMAX and in 3D. It's worth the extra money!

Wow. Seriously, you know that 'lowest common denominator' I talked about in the previous thread?

^Him.

I don't often tell people they are wrong, as I pride myself on trying to see all points of view. Having said that, this guy is about as wrong as Pat Robertson is a tw*t.

but because the story was so compelling and moving along the way.

And I bet you thought Core was a good plot too, huh. Or Titanic. "OMGWTFITSANK?" :smt023

EDIT: I should point out that I love Avatar, and it didn't change my life, but it did remind me of a similar film that did and wake me up a bit. But it was purely because of the CGI, and not the plot. The exact opposite of the statement above!
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Major Banter on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:25 pm

God I hate opinionated people. Like YokaI insisting on hating MW2. It's just plain arsewholesome.

I'd have to say it felt very much like the world was built, then the story fudged in. And plenty of people agree.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Terr on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:26 pm

My feeling is that it accomplished what it set out to do: Make something to appeal to eyeballs, push a technology, and recoup costs or make a profit. The goal with the story was to take no risks, which is why it's formulaic.

One thing that struck me: Are the Na'vi the first intelligent aliens contacted, or not?

Nobody seems to suggest they're the first alien race mankind has encountered, but at the same time there's no reference to any others. I'dve expected Corporate Stooge (the plot is staid enough I like to use these labels) to say something like: "It worked on X, it worked on Y, and it worked on Z, and we'll just give them these little bits of civilization and they'll move."

It just seems deliberately vague. Even if it was ten or twenty years since first contact, wouldn't Passionate Researcher make a jab about "first ever encountered and you killed them how would that look" to Corporate Stooge?
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby vcool on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Terr wrote:My feeling is that it accomplished what it set out to do: Make something to appeal to eyeballs, push a technology, and recoup costs or make a profit. The goal with the story was to take no risks, which is why it's formulaic.

One thing that struck me: Are the Na'vi the first intelligent aliens contacted, or not?

Nobody seems to suggest they're the first alien race mankind has encountered, but at the same time there's no reference to any others. I'dve expected Corporate Stooge (the plot is staid enough I like to use these labels) to say something like: "It worked on X, it worked on Y, and it worked on Z, and we'll just give them these little bits of civilization and they'll move."

It just seems deliberately vague. Even if it was ten or twenty years since first contact, wouldn't Passionate Researcher make a jab about "first ever encountered and you killed them how would that look" to Corporate Stooge?

Well I am kinda expecting a sequel to be honest. It seems that as a race we are fairly advanced, although John Smith said that our world is dying.

What bugged me in the end was that why were the Navi so convinced man isn't going to come back with more firepower? If we are the most powerful race so far, there's no one to control us so we can do whatever we want. I would expect twice more firepower brought in and voila - it's done.

Now if there are other developed races out there, then we are most likely in some kind of alliance with them, and I am pretty sure we would be bound by some agreement like "if you didn't conquer it, get out and don't come back."

If you check out Cameron's IMDB page it says that he's working on some project "Forbidden Planet". Pandora a hundred years later? A sealed planet dubbed "highly dangerous" no ships ever go to?

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Terr on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:07 am

As long as it's not named "Blue Harvest"... (Double Joke Score.)

Plot-holish-thing: Why is a shuttle capable of supersonic re-entry (and presumably takeoff) from a planet's atmosphere trundling along as <100mph for a bombing run of some sort? If they can get satellite imagery of the area, they can just drop kinetic weapons. (Of course, The Magic Zone might interfere somehow, I guess.)
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Terr wrote:As long as it's not named "Blue Harvest"... (Double Joke Score.)

Plot-holish-thing: Why is a shuttle capable of supersonic re-entry (and presumably takeoff) from a planet's atmosphere trundling along as <100mph for a bombing run of some sort? If they can get satellite imagery of the area, they can just drop kinetic weapons. (Of course, The Magic Zone might interfere somehow, I guess.)

on the same subject, why use vtol propellor aircrafts for fighting? Even at current times we know these kind of aircrafts are useless as a striking force, so why are they there in the future
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby xoqolatl on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:52 pm

vcool wrote:What bugged me in the end was that why were the Navi so convinced man isn't going to come back with more firepower? If we are the most powerful race so far, there's no one to control us so we can do whatever we want. I would expect twice more firepower brought in and voila - it's done.

Because it's not The Man that invaded Pandora. It's a small division of some corporation. They don't have the most advanced weaponry, space destroyers, orbital bombardment and Death Star because they are just a mining company. They probably won't come back in force because on the first try they lost a lot of money, one of their best men (I suspect company's best man was the administrator on Pandora) failed and they have little incentive to try again.

Remeber the usual problem with various "unobtainiums" in various fiction works. If it were so important humanity couldn't afford to lose it, some random mining company wouldn't be the only source of it. If it's only available form some random company, and humanity did well without it so far, we can just say screw it, it's too risky, and forget about it. See also: Diuna and spice.

EDIT: same goes for VTOL aircraft and mechs: they came to mine unobtainium, not to wage war.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Terr on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:07 pm

xoqolatl: According to some leaked stuff, I think it's likely they'll come on back.

Apparently the reason it was a single corporation was some weird sort of East-India-Company-style state granted monopoly with restrictions. Once the dependable source ends, the Totally-Not-Soylent-Green folk will get desperate.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby staberas on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 pm

OH MY GOD!! THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE..!!
http://blip.tv/file/3003090/
staberas
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby YokaI on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:52 am

I know I said I wasn't posting anymore, but when I got a notification on my composer thread, I saw Avatar and wanted to see what people were saying about it here.

Funny enough:
Major Banter wrote:God I hate opinionated people. Like YokaI insisting on hating MW2.

What makes it funnier:
I never said I hated MW2, I was just sick of hearing about it. (over-advertised) Also, being opinionated isn't really much, everyone has an opinion... Maybe you should call me stubborn / elitist, because I would say that's about right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Avatar, wanted to see it, not enough money after blowing all my money on a japanese copy of FFXIII (Which, may I add, was a pricey 100$ preorder + another 10 dollars for shipping...) Was it worth it? Yes, but I kind of want to see this movie now. Very polarizing thoughts on this forum, been reading around all over and still can't seem to make up my mind. But I just found the above funny, especially since i wasn't expecting it here. Cheers.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby vcool on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:22 am

Yokai you should definitely go see it, it's an excellent experience and really shows how much can be done with CG these days. It's pretty and immersive.

As for all the haters here saying that Avatar just ripped old stories - so what? That doesn't make the experience any less enjoyable, and what Avatar ripped from was also ripped from stories preceding it. As one guy said in another Avatar discussion thread, "...other movies have also been inspired by other, age-old stories. Storytelling didn't start in the 20th century..."

EDIT: xoqolatl, I see that you mean right there but like Terr I think the corporation is one of those uncontrolled large monopolies that most probably invests in the government. If unobtanium is really that expensive, the government can benefit from that so why would it suddenly turn humane after a few thousand years and stop this corporation?

Back on Earth the general public doesn't know anything, althoug I'm sure more-than-gray-matter people can guess what realy goes on on Pandora.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby staberas on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:30 am

..Yes because humans are so bad in destroying others races ;P (Sorry but as a story it sucks)
As an achievement in the 3d technology it's quite impressive.
Last edited by staberas on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
staberas
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Media