Whats your overall favorite music genre?

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Whats your overall favorite music genre?

Rock
33%
Metal
27%
Thrash
3%
Emo ;(
1%
House
3%
Trance
9%
Breaks
4%
Pop
1%
R+B
No votes
Rap
4%
Hip Hop
5%
Punk
5%
Trip-hop (that's just for me-Athlete)
4%

Total votes : 75

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:18 pm

Don't even know where pink floyd falls under these days. It's everywhere from Classic Rock and techno. Also I put forth the suggestion that Classic rock be given as an option because canadian ass shat bands like Nickel Back and Avril Lavigne are usually considered rock. The Classic Rock genre greats such as The Beatles and Led Zeppelin should never be in the same category as Avril McWhorepants.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Terminator on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:23 pm

In that list, I do not even know what "Thrash", "Emo", "House", "Trance", "Breaks", "R+B", "Punk", or "Trip-hop" are. I have never even heard of them...
Rap is the most foul, discusting, and racist crap I have ever encountered. If the music industry had any decency, they never would release such anti-intellectual garbage... Rap is not music.

May I just say it is a horrible list to choose from.

You want to know what music really is? Put on some Mozart or Beethoven, then check out the other great musical geniuses...

**Turns on Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No.2; Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini**
Ahh...
You younglings should know what you are missing... :wink:
Feed your ambition, and find your inner strength.
FedCom: dare to push yourself beyond all limits!

Visit our website, and find the future you've been looking for!
Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby mike-o on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:53 pm

you must live in the middle of redneck-town usa to not know what any of that stuff is.

"we play both kinds a music... country and western!"
mike-o
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Terminator on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:56 pm

mike-o wrote:you must live in the middle of redneck-town usa to not know what any of that stuff is.

"we play both kinds a music... country and western!"

Actually, you have no idea how accurate you are...

Although rednecks live farther south. The term is "hillbilly" up here.
Less moonshine and more beer... :wink:

My high school had a "Hillbilly Day" during homecoming week, where everyone who wanted to could dress up like a hillbilly. Problem was, all they needed was the straw hat and a piece of hay in the mouth, and their costumes were done.

Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby dragonfliet on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:04 am

Terminator wrote:In that list, I do not even know what "Thrash", "Emo", "House", "Trance", "Breaks", "R+B", "Punk", or "Trip-hop" are. I have never even heard of them...

Wow. Thrash is type of metal from the 80's. Think speed metal but with classic metal riffs. Emo is short for "emotional punk" Bands like Saves the Day, Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, Jimmy Eat World (though on the positive side) and Weezer (straddles Emo and Nerd Rock). I'm positive you've heard some of them. Very whiny. House is a type of Techno. Daft Punk, Basement Jaxx, why am I listing this? It's techno you're most often going to hear in a club. Trance is also a techno subgenre, more emphasis on synth string type instruments, has a terrible tendancy to be extremely cheesy. Any cheesy, ballad-like techno song is generally trance. Breaks is another subgenre of techno, though I don't think it counts as a subgenre at all. Simply put, breaks is the EXACT same thing as your traditional Techno except it doesn't have the consistent thump, thump, thump, thump in 4/4 time of techno and alters it with off beats. Think techno with variation in the drums. R+B is the same as RnB or R&B, which is Rythym and Blues. This is motown music. Anything from there is generally R&B, though it has warped today to include anyone from Alicia Keys to Kanye West (because some fools think Rap and R&B are synonomous). The thought of someone not knowing what punk is truly strains the head. It's not even possible. From The Ramones to Rancid, to Black Flag to The Vines to Greenday (very, very commecial pop-punk yes, but still in the genre) to many others. Short songs, anti-establishment, girls, drinking, you know the drill. Finally trip-hop is an early to mid 90's (mostly) fusion of jazz, hip-hop and techno. Some really great stuff that you probably haven't heard and alot of poser stuff as well.

Seriously, while classical music is fantastic (vivaldi for me), you should probably check out all of these genres of music you're completely missing out on.

~Jason
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Terminator on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:24 am

dragonfliet wrote:Thrash is type of metal from the 80's. Think speed metal but with classic metal riffs.

Speed metal? Classic metal? Riffs? :?
Metal is metal, right?

Emo is short for "emotional punk" Bands like Saves the Day, Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, Jimmy Eat World (though on the positive side) and Weezer (straddles Emo and Nerd Rock). I'm positive you've heard some of them. Very whiny.

I have never even heard of any of them.

House is a type of Techno. Daft Punk, Basement Jaxx, why am I listing this? It's techno you're most often going to hear in a club.

That early club scene with all the wackos from The Matrix comes to mind... Am I close?

Trance is also a techno subgenre, more emphasis on synth string type instruments, has a terrible tendancy to be extremely cheesy. Any cheesy, ballad-like techno song is generally trance.

Ballad?
Umm...okay. Whatever...

Breaks is another subgenre of techno, though I don't think it counts as a subgenre at all. Simply put, breaks is the EXACT same thing as your traditional Techno except it doesn't have the consistent thump, thump, thump, thump in 4/4 time of techno and alters it with off beats. Think techno with variation in the drums.

There are drums in regular techno? I thought it was all synthetic keyboard stuff...

R+B is the same as RnB or R&B, which is Rythym and Blues. This is motown music. Anything from there is generally R&B, though it has warped today to include anyone from Alicia Keys to Kanye West (because some fools think Rap and R&B are synonomous).

Motown music? Alicia Keys? Kanye West? Huh?
:smt017

The thought of someone not knowing what punk is truly strains the head. It's not even possible. From The Ramones to Rancid, to Black Flag to The Vines to Greenday (very, very commecial pop-punk yes, but still in the genre) to many others. Short songs, anti-establishment, girls, drinking, you know the drill.

No, I do not "know the drill". But then I think I would rather not want to...

Finally trip-hop is an early to mid 90's (mostly) fusion of jazz, hip-hop and techno. Some really great stuff that you probably haven't heard and alot of poser stuff as well.

Umm... ¬_¬

Seriously, while classical music is fantastic (vivaldi for me), you should probably check out all of these genres of music you're completely missing out on.

Music has never been my thing at all. I practically hate everything out there except for old classical and the themes from some computer games; namely MechWarrior 4.

I never pay attention to the name of a band, and generally label them all as "modern idiots". Besides, when you have over 130 IQ points to work with, why waste your time with junk music when you can be inventing the future? I tend to look down upon such things as trivial and worthless, and look at the greater purposes of existance...

Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Serever on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:00 am

the music from mechwarrior 4 and total annihilation FTW
"Hey Scott. It's Dougal. Can I have my hair from the 1980's back?"
Serever

Postby The Watcher on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 am

AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Alan Parsons Project, The Beatles, The Cars, Greenday, Jimmy Hendrix, Nickelback, Pink Floyd, Styx, The Steve Miller Band, Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship, Velvet Revolver, Yellowcard, Audioslave, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, U2, Guns'N'Roses, Creed, Alterbridge, Metallica, ZZ Top, Bad Company, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Rush, Heart, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Motley Crue, Queen, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant, Queensryche, The Rolling Stones (the Stones), The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd (old and new), Collective Soul, Puddle of Mudd, Kansas, Supertramp, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi (they are a real band, not just an animated TV series :roll: ), The Statler Brothers (not exactly rock, but good country)...

I am the Rock type, as most of these bands are rock. :? Country is good, but I don't listen to it as much as good ol' rock. I don't care for classical, I HATE rap/hip-hop (yes I think rap and hip-hop are the same :x ), and I have no idea what most of those other music types are.
:?

I'm also into game soundtracks, from the mighty Half-Life and Half-Life 2 ones, to the more kiddy ones like Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64. I also like the real old-school soundtracks from SNES such as Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country.

P.S. The only rap songs I do like/care for are the more unusual ones (like the DK Rap from Donkey Kong 64, etc.). :lol:

Rap is the most foul, discusting, and racist crap I have ever encountered. If the music industry had any decency, they never would release such anti-intellectual garbage... Rap is not music.

I agree with you 100%, Terminator. Rap is NOT MUSIC!!! :evil:
The one and only anti-Interloper

This forum is an evil negativity-brewing hellhole, like all internet communities, and should be shut down...
The Watcher
Banned

Postby Terminator on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:37 am

Serever wrote:the music from mechwarrior 4 and total annihilation FTW

What does that mean?

Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby dragonfliet on Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:09 am

Terminator wrote:I never pay attention to the name of a band, and generally label them all as "modern idiots". Besides, when you have over 130 IQ points to work with, why waste your time with junk music when you can be inventing the future? I tend to look down upon such things as trivial and worthless, and look at the greater purposes of existance...

Just....wow. I pray to god that this is just a joke.

Some answers: There are lots of kinds of metal.

Wow.

The music in the club scene in The Matrix was Rammstein (german industrial metal) and Prodigy (breaks)

Yes, a ballad. There are tons of clubs that have those songs that sound like crappy, poorly written ballads with over the top synths. Good trance is completely different than that, but it's still the same genre.

Yes, drums are neccessary to techno.

I cannont believe that you've never heard of motown. that really, really hurts my head. Have you ever, you know, turned on a radio or left your house or watched a movie?

oh, and FTW means For The Win.

~Jason
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Serever on Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:34 am

Terminator wrote:
Serever wrote:the music from mechwarrior 4 and total annihilation FTW

What does that mean?

For The Win
"Hey Scott. It's Dougal. Can I have my hair from the 1980's back?"
Serever

Postby compy905 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm

Terminator wrote:I never pay attention to the name of a band, and generally label them all as "modern idiots". Besides, when you have over 130 IQ points to work with, why waste your time with junk music when you can be inventing the future? I tend to look down upon such things as trivial and worthless, and look at the greater purposes of existance...

Wow...music is trivial and a waste of time because you are so intelligent...
I am sorry but this seems like you are saying you are better than all of us. There is also a high level of thought that goes into making music (most types, but that is another conversation) that can stimulate your "super brain." So I am wondering what you think of playing video games? Are they a waste of your time also?
Their first album was better.
compy905
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Terminator on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:36 am

dragonfliet wrote:

Just....wow. I pray to god that this is just a joke.

I do not know how to joke; at least, not at making it funny anyway. Most people just get pissed when I try my [mechanical] hand at humor. The concept escapes me entirely...

Yes, a ballad. There are tons of clubs that have those songs that sound like crappy, poorly written ballads with over the top synths. Good trance is completely different than that, but it's still the same genre.

You got the wrond idea. "Ballad" was a question because I have never heard that word before.

I cannont believe that you've never heard of motown. that really, really hurts my head. Have you ever, you know, turned on a radio or left your house or watched a movie?

The last time I went to the movie theater, it was for Star Wars III. I borrow movies from the library occasionaly when I am home (as in, not at college), and my usual genre is action/adventure "James Bond"-style films, war films, or natural disaster films (like Dante's Peak). I have a small collection of several dozen DVDs fitting those genres, but little else.

And no, I do not turn on the radio. I do not even have a radio.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

compy905 wrote:Wow...music is trivial and a waste of time because you are so intelligent...
I am sorry but this seems like you are saying you are better than all of us.

So what if I am? Given the facts about the average IQ in the US (80, a mere 10 points above legally retarded), you can probably see things from my point of view. I am in college, and therefore surrounded by imbiciles, who are constantly running on pure hormones. I skipped certain sections of the typical adolescent psyche, thankfully, and I remained in complete control over body and mind. Unlike these chouvanistic and drunk dumbasses surrounding my dorm room, who waste away their lives for pleasure, I can safely say I am better than them. I am an intellectual, while them seem to be content conversing with a brick wall about sexual fanatasy...

For most of my life, I have looked down on my fellow man and studied them as an entemologist studies his ant farm... This is what I see: typical humans are no better than lower animals.

So I am wondering what you think of playing video games? Are they a waste of your time also?

I love video games, but I tend to stick to the futuristic FPS games, and shun all RPGs. I strongly dislike the "online experience", due to all the asshats out there, leaving LAN only.

I also stick to only computer games: my newest console system is one of the original Game-Boys, and it has about five centimeters of dust on the case that holds it and the five ancient games. I have tried the X-box with Halo (and parts of Halo 2) at a friend's house: loved the game, but could not control it on that system. Then I bought Halo for PC and took to it like a fish to water. I wish they would hurry up and release Halo 2 for PC; Microsoft is missing out on a whole market...

Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby seppe on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:11 am

i can't choose my lovely "alternative rock" :cry: :evil: :x :shock: :( :!:
seppe
Regular
Regular

Postby compy905 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Terminator wrote:I love video games, but I tend to stick to the futuristic FPS games, and shun all RPGs.

So how are video games not a waste of your time but music is? Most "intellectuals" I know tend to appreciate all art forms, except for video games, mainly because they don't consider it art, but I do.
Their first album was better.
compy905
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

PreviousNext

Return to Media