OMG mastor DJ in teh house.

Films, albums, random internet videos.

So is it any good?

hey it's pretty good
No votes
it's ok but i wouldn't give up modelling just yet Ath
100%
It makes stevie wonder wish he was deaf as well.
No votes

Total votes : 13

OMG mastor DJ in teh house.

Postby Athlete{UK} on Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:47 pm

I've been arseing around in Ableton for the past few days after i knicked it off a mate who is an amazing DJ.

Ok so it's shit i know but i was quietly impressed that i managed to create something which resembles music all on my own (the clips used to make the final composition were all recorded by me on the keyboard)

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2YFA ... J42D7PBBGI

So what do you think?

I doubt i'll be taking the place of musical genius from Blink just yet somehow :P
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:11 pm

to be honest:

the piano thing sounds very (annoyingly) amateuristic :wink:
parts of the song were too "empty", if you know what i mean. Not only like "silence", but just one beat or something.
The song overall was very disorganised, i couldnt really find a "repeating thing" it in. as in refrains and such. Im missing that

Just giving some critisism, its more than i could've done, i know just a few things about music, things like "play", "pause","resume", "next" and "torrent now". Hope my extremely amateuristic rant still helped you in some way :)

just try some more, and show em to us. youll get better
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Athlete{UK} on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:18 pm

i was actually quite pleased with the piano bits. Although they were originally synth which sounded better imo.

Anyway thanks for the honesty. i know sod all about music too so you probably could bang something like this out
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rocket_Robinhood on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:41 am

2 things, the piano aint bad but dont use a classical setting, change it to a synth noise like you said. Numba 2: Pump the beat; it aint very cathcy or fast ebough. You need to ahve a better underlying beat to keep the song flowing

but keep it up, tis a good start

Pwned - A Society of Gamers

Rocket_Robinhood
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 am

Agreeing with the other two lads here, lacks any oomph or substanial beat. Changes a lot.

Not bad though, get eJay installed and you'll be sorted :P
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby BeefnCheez on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 am

Fruity Loops ftw. Your song is ok, def. need to make the background music louder and posssible add something with the piano, like they said sorta empty.
BeefnCheez
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby dragonfliet on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:22 am

Firstly, the beginning is very, very empty. Secondly, the breakdowns happent too often and don't feel very much tied to the piece. Lastly, it just bounces around too much.

When everything is running all at once, it's a pretty decent little sound, but that only happens for maybe a minute in this song, all of the other pieces just don't work on their own. It'd be worth using what you have at around 1:00 and make that the basis for doing more, rather than it being the peak of the song. Hope that helps.

~Jason
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gamercat on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:30 am

A bit random. :/ I agree that the piano part, I guess that's what it is, is quite annoying. But for apparently nothaving much musical background, it's good. It is musical, and it has a pattern. :)
Gamercat
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Terminator on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:34 am

Honestly, I have heard far better. Amature is really the right word...

I have a friend back home who makes some pretty sweet stuff on his keyboard at his place. He also plays the guitar and the drums, but I think he is best on his keyboard. His stuff is usually much faster with up to several dozen layers, but he also does slower stuff but equally complex. Of course, he has been doing this for many years; longer than I have known him actually...

He made about a dozen tunes for my mods for HL2, which are all currently paused due to lack of coders, mappers good with entities, and modelers...

It is too bad he does not have internet access, and I do not have any of his work on my computer, otherwise I would have to find a way of sharing it with you guys. Someday, when I release some of those games, you may hear some of his work...
Feed your ambition, and find your inner strength.
FedCom: dare to push yourself beyond all limits!

Visit our website, and find the future you've been looking for!
Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Ta for the crits guys. yeah i can deffinatly take on board what you're saying Although Ableton>ejay Blink :P

I think when i get some more time i'll start a new piece and forget about this one

And terminator thanks for err telling me how much better your mate is then me. It really umm helped...
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:24 pm

Athlete{UK} wrote:And terminator thanks for err telling me how much better your mate is then me. It really umm helped...
:lol:
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Terminator on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:49 pm

Athlete{UK} wrote:And terminator thanks for err telling me how much better your mate is then me. It really umm helped...

You are welcome of course. :D
Feed your ambition, and find your inner strength.
FedCom: dare to push yourself beyond all limits!

Visit our website, and find the future you've been looking for!
Terminator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Media