RAP = Misogyny

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Does listening to rap make u a mysogynist?

Yes
36%
No
39%
Get the hoe to answer for me...
25%

Total votes : 28

Postby YokaI on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:26 pm

No, (i accidently voted Yes XD change that please) it doesn't make all people hate women. However, I think that the way some people use the slang word "bitches" as a term for women is just disrespectful, but this doesnt mean that ALL the people who listen to it are a misogynist, that would be a stereotype. But there are a few people who use it for misogynistic terms and well, they diserve to go to hell.

Its like saying all people who play violent video games kill people. its not true, just a stereotype.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby RSX WHEEEEEE on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:44 pm

i like that argument
RSX WHEEEEEE
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby GrolscHe on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:02 pm

Lots of music can be prejudice to at least someone. Women just seem to get that end of the stick most so to speak. However alot of rap music nowadays glorifies the use of guns and weapons which is just completely wrong. I understand that a lot of the ideals contained within the "music" is about standing up to the law and stuff but violence isnt always the answer. True lots of early punk rock bands were about standing up and some did partially invoke violence but not to the scale of gang warfare or robbing people on the street. I know theres some bound to argue against this but in reality the highest rock music has ever gone to is getting a breach of the peace notice or causing jackass rip off's. I feel really strongly about this because Ive seen first hand how rap can poison people's minds.
GrolscHe

Postby RSX WHEEEEEE on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:11 pm

poison people's minds?

riight
u seem to forget that lots of rap listeners have to deal with single parents, being left by there dads and shit, and may look up to rappers as father figures. Tho i think id rather my dad not be Mike Jones.

i think i see what ur getting at, but i just don't think that poison is the right word. too strong.
RSX WHEEEEEE
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby compy905 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:36 pm

I am going to go old school for you guys:

"The term bitch don't apply to all women, but all women got a lil bitch in em"
I don't know about you guys but, I can't argue with that.

P.S. If you are a rap fan and you don't know that lyric then you need to throw out your fiddy cent crap and listen to some good rap.
Their first album was better.
compy905
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby RSX WHEEEEEE on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:28 am

heh nice
RSX WHEEEEEE
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby sidra on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:30 am

When did you music have to be about good themes? Look at ANY genre, its gonna have suggestive themes. Look at rock and roll. Do you know how many drugs they did? Do you remeber how Jimmy Hendrix died?

And no, not all rap is about "bitches and hoes". Thats like me saying all rock is about sadism and violence, which obviously isn't true. Of course anything played on the radio is gonna be crap, that goes for any mainsteam genre. Hip Hop just gets it hard because everyone is rascist.

And RSX, grow up. You don't know shit about hip hop, and you listen to Pitbull and Mike Jones, who are the problems. And do I have to remind you guys where the trend of degration of women came from? Oh, it was rock.

So before you start dissing rap and being racist learn your facts. The shit played on the radio is not true hip hop, just like emo isn't true rock.
sidra

Postby RSX WHEEEEEE on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:14 am

O O O MR. High and Mighty up in this bitch eh? well lets see who from ur list of "real" hiphop is actually good

A Tribe Called Quest
AZ
Big Daddy Kane
Big L
Big Pun
B.I.G.
Black Star (Mos Def And Talib)
Bone Thugs N Harmony

Brand Nubian
Canibus
Chuck D
Common Sense
Cormega
Cypress Hill
D.I.T.C.
De La Soul<(they did Me Myself and I, right?
Dead Prez
DJ Quick
Dr. Octagon
Eminem (early stuff only)("my name is" was the 1st rap song i ever heard.
EPMD
The Firm
The Fugees
Gang Starr
Herb McGruff
Jay-Z (old, not commercial) (The Blueprint Album count? "renegade" is his best song IMO)
Jedi Mind Tricks
Jeru the Damaja
The Juice Crew
Kool G Rap
KRS-One
Lord Finesse
Masta Ace
MF Doom
Mobb Deep (before Gunit)
NaS (OMG U TARD!)
OC
Onyx
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Pharoe Monch
Percee P
Ras Kass
Rakim
Redman
Royce
Run DMC (MY A DIDAS!)
Scarface
Sugar Hill Gang
Stinky Fingaz
Terror Squad (old, not new one) (more than 1 TS?
Wu-Tang Clan (especially GZA, RZA, Inspectah Deck and Masta Killa)

K, see im not completely new shtick.
RSX WHEEEEEE
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby TheRecreator on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:19 am

actually women have been looked down upon for ever... it wasn't started by rock. Even in China or Japan or whatever they would bind women's feet when they were born so their feet wouldn't grow. Making it so they could never run away. and we're talking about listening to the music. Rock music rarely talks about women unless the song is specifically about a special woman. There music videos is what is making you think this way. but of course... rap has just as many girls.

So...
rock = good lyrics/girls in videos
rap = bad lyrics/girls in videos
as in good and bad I mean saying bitch/hoe/etc.
TheRecreator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby sidra on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:18 am

TheRecreator wrote:rock = good lyrics/girls in videos
rap = bad lyrics/girls in videos
as in good and bad I mean saying bitch/hoe/etc.

I meant the degration of women from music. And your saying that rap has bad lyrics? Rock has just as much, if not, more. It doesn't matter anyway. Media is more of the problem, its something seen in EVERY type of media today.

And RSX, you probably hadn't heard of more then 3/4 of the artists I mentioned. Hence why you only commented on the most commercial and well known ones. And "My Name Is" is whack, The Blueprint was whack. Jay-Z bit half his shit from Biggie (took his lyrics, recylcyed them on different flows and claimed he wrote them, etc.) as well as other rappers such as Big L, Snoop Dogg, etc. Some stuff he puts out is good, but I have no respect for the guy. And you calling me a turd for liking Nas? Have you even heard Illmatic? Obviously not. Illmatic is by far one of the best hip hop albums ever done, if not the best.
sidra

Postby Rocket_Robinhood on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:58 pm

i vote no

Pwned - A Society of Gamers

Rocket_Robinhood
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RSX WHEEEEEE on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:26 am

Nas's only good songs are Hate Me Now and Street Disciple.

and why do u feel need to hate some1 cuz they like sound more than lyrics?
RSX WHEEEEEE
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby dragonfliet on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:05 am

RSX WHEEEEEE wrote:50cent raps like mike tyson

My favorite is: "you say you a gangsta but you neva popped nuttin'/ I say you a wanksta and you betta stop frontin'"

God that's classic lyricism at it's best...

Anyways, of course not all RAP is mysoginistic (I know my spelling has gone to hell), but a whole hell of alot of it is. To denounce an entire genre is completely foolish, but nonetheless, a great amount of it treats women terribly. Of course, not every song deals with women, but few songs that do talk about women do it with any level of respect or dignity. Of course, you can level that complaint about alot of metal, etc. as well. That doesn't excuse the rap that does it, it merely indicts more types of music.

~Jason
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athlete{UK} on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:37 pm

Quite frankly i think you're all just wholey ignorant. Rap and hiphop extends far beyond the shite you see on mtv or in the charts. Seriously i wouldn't piss on that stuff to put it out.

You get real gems like herbaliser or DJ format and abdominal. These guys make some very different hip-hop which manages not to refer to all their hos and money at all.

http://www.ninjatune.net set up by the Legend that is Cold Cut has some great stuff from British hip-hop mainly.

Now "GANGSTA RAP" yeah i conceed. Is bollocks and should be burnted for soiling the term hip-hop and music in general.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TheRecreator on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:28 pm

I would like you to post of the lyrics of a popular rock band that used racial slurs and bitches/hoes. I would like to see where you got this from. And rock as in the good days, not the stuff today...
TheRecreator
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Media