Ezekel Falcon - Level Design/Artist/Writing

Interlopers Portfolio section.

Portfolio rating

3.27 out of 5 (11 ratings)

You must be registered and logged in to rate a portfolio!

Ezekel Falcon - Level Design/Artist/Writing

Postby Ezekel on Fri May 08, 2009 4:34 pm

The Realisation of Dreams

Name: Michael Abraham (Ezekel Falcon)
Located: London (England)
Long Term Goal: To find a place where my creativity can flourish.
Looking for a job: Yes
Looking for a mod: Yes

CV

I am a recent Physics MSci graduate with a strong passion for computer games. I have an intelligent and creative mindset and possess a good working knowledge of C++, Java and Hammer.
A diligent worker and always eager to hear feedback, I enjoy the challenge of innovation, and improvement that any creative medium requires in order to reach it’s true potential.
I won’t say I’m the best, what I will say however is that I will continue to improve and evolve my abilities and knowledge with every day, so that I can overcome the challenges I may face in the future.

Education:

2004-2008: MSci, Physics, UCL
2003-2004: A levels in Physics, Maths, Biology
2002-2003: AS levels in Further Maths, Religious Studies

Skills:

Mapping:
  • Familiar with level design for multiplayer levels in an FPS, RTS or platformer environment.
  • Hammer (since September 2008)
  • Unreal3 editor/matinee/kismet
    Drawing/sketching:
  • In particular, as a way to develop new character and ideas
    Textures:
  • Limited to signs/posters (overlays/decals), with potential to expand the scope further
  • Experience with Paint.net and GIMP
    Writing:
  • Experience with writing to scientific paper standard
  • Creative writing
    Programming:
  • C++
  • Java
  • Visual Basic
  • Mathematica
  • Python
  • HTML
  • Matlab

Creative Examples:

Maps:

Tears for Tarnor
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image

Game: Alien Swarm
Type: Campaign
Details:
The 1st chapter of the Tears for Tarnor Alien Swarm campaign, featuring a completely new planet, new environment, dynamic events and new enemy sub-types.

Deceit
Image Image Image

Game: Team Fortress 2
Type: CTF
Details:
This is a map aimed towards 6v6 competitive play, as part of the TF2maps.net competitive CTF competition. However, it should be enjoyable in non competitive play, and with higher player numbers too.
The map uses standard CTF game mechanics, but attempts to offer interesting gameplay through the use of multiple routes. Much effort has been put into making the map easy to navigate.

Asthetically, the map is set within a canyony area, creating a minor sense of enclosement for players. The team bases both draw on the standard red and blue team colour/material schemes.

Nordhaven
Image Image Image

Details:
A map inspired by the midwinter festival town of Nordberg from the game Overlord2.
This map contains a high amount of custom textures and models (over 300 custom files), including the snow particle effect, wooden wagons and coloured festive lanterns.

The goal of this map was to re-create the festive feel of the Nordberg scene at the start of Overlord2 within Team Fortress 2. As such this is more an example of my ability to detail than it is a an example of innovative gameplay.
Having said that, I also used this map as a vehicle for the Scavenge gamemode (at the time called "capture the present") I had come up with.
In Scavenge, the goal is to bring all the presents/flags to your capture zone, or to have the most in your capture zone (representedby a tree) when the round time expires (rounds last 3 minutes long). Teams begin with 3 flags in their capture zone with a further 3 neutral flags in the central area of the map. In the event of a tie, the game continues until all flags are captured or dropped, and one team has a higher number of flags in their capture zone than the other.
The game mode encourages use of all classes, right from the start, as strong defensive and offensive postures are required of a team to hold what's theirs, and to capture the other flags.

Reactor
Image Image Image

Game: Orion
Details:
CTF map for the source mod game Orion.
This map is a simple CTF suited for a smaller player count, or alternatively for a more intense and bloody battle. There are no special gameplay features to this map(i.e. no hacking terminals or one way doors), however, the map is supposed to invoke a retro feel in the player, by attempting to make it feel akin to the maps that might be found in games such as Unreal Tournament.

Incursion
Image Image Image

Game: Orion
Details:
CTF map for the source mod game Orion.
The map features lowered visibility ranges due to the sandstorm, a lockdown system for the flag-room/building and destroyable skylights (windows).

Autumn Twilight
Image Image Image
Image Image ImageImage

Type: KotH
Details:
A Halloween themed map.
The goal here is to create a feeling of "implied supernatural" rather than overt magic/witchcraft. Further, a more european environment is implied by the presence of the stone church.
Red team and Blu team start in abandoned underground bases hidden under a crypt (blu) and under a toolshed (red) and must fight for control over the cauldron in the centre.
A gameplay feature of the map is the fog, which has little effect on the FPS, but reduces sightlines, making sniping a more challenging experience.

Refinery
Image Image Image

Type: Arena
Details:
An arena map featuring a player activated trap. This will be my entry in the ducksoup mapping competition.
There is a large health pack located within the trap, but the risk is that anyone can activate it by touching or shooting the buttons on either side.

Mainframe
Image Image Image

Type: ODD (Objective Defence & Destruction)
Details:
Pilot map for a new game mode being developed by myself.
In ODD, each team has an object or device, reffered to as the objective, which they must protect. in Mainframe, it's the computer stack, but it could be anything at all really, as long as it's clearly marked out.
The goal of the game mode is to attack and destroy your opponents objective before they destroy yours. The objectives have a high amount of health, and at each 25% damage increment, there is a visible change to the objective, as well as displaying the information on the HUD.
The game is timed, with time added everytime a 25% damage increment is reached (regardless of team), however if neither team wins after the round time ends, both objectives are set to 25% and "sudden death" mode is activated (round restart, with respawning disabled). In sudden death, you win either by eliminating all opponent players, or by destroying their objective.
The map itself is a simple symmetrical map, with a moderate detail level in order to allow people to get in and play the game mode. The industrial theme was chosen as it already has a fair number of team associated textures coupled with the fact that the industrial theme allows for block/square shaped structures, faciliting a quicker detailing pass, so that the gameplay could be focussed on. The map is small, as a larger map could stutter and stalemate given the nature of the gamemode. The objective room has 4 access points, as it is important that this room does not become locked down by a defending team.
For this map I chose to have the spawnrooms feed directly into the objective room from above. This was for two reasons, one being a desire to give players a quick idea of the map layout (most maps with symmetrical objectives for the teams are symmetrical in gameplay area, thus if a player knows at least one route to out of their base from their objective room, they also know how to attack the other base), and to prevent players locking down the room so that defenders cannot get in to defend their objective.
From playtests, it has been discovered that the objective can be destroyed fairly quickly if attackers are left undisturbed by defenders. Thus, it is important that in such maps, the map is kept small, the objective room needs multiple access points for attackers and defenders and the spawn rooms must be within close proximity to the objective room.
Unfortunately, due to limitations in the game, the fire damage of a pyro's flamethrower does not register on the objectives, making him more of a supporting role class. Due to the nature of the game mode, the spy is also given a more supporting role (which was intended), where he works best focussing on clearing sentries and defenders from the objective room so that damage dealing classes can focus on the objective.

Rivercrossing
Image Image Image

Type: PL
Details:
5 point, single stage payload, across a river.
Allows a much greater utilisation of water and water combat than available on the official Payload maps.

Devil's Brew
Image Image Image

Type: CP (5-point, two way)
Details:
Devil's Brew utilises the standard 5-cp gameplay, with a little twist. For a long time I had wanted to create a map where the control points shift position depending on their ownership. This is what Devil's Brew offers.
The source of this gameplay mechanic stems around my experience of the game mode, where many times the teams would stalemate because as soon as a point is captured it would quickly be recaptured.
The middle three capture points will move behind doors when captured, offering a more defensible position for the current owner. Furthermore, due to the nature of the position shifting, the map encourages players to defend a new captured control point, at least until it has reached it's new position, as a point that is in motion will cease moving if it is being recaptured.
In this map, capturing a point is always something that requires effort, regardless of your team. As a result, every capture and subsequent defense by a team has much more meaning to the players.
Asthetically, Devil's Brew is based around two breweries, and the supporting storage and transport systems surrounding them. The theme was chosen as this was a theme that I had wanted to work with for a while and it fit the map layout.

Drawing:

Image Image Image

Image Image

Textures:

Posters/Signs:

Coals (hot/cold) from arena_refinery:

Lettered CP HUD icons:

RCD holograms:

Writings:

The Isty Dragon Story
The Dice of Fate, Chapter1
Virus
Thydorax Origins

Links:

Deviantart account: http://ezekel.deviantart.com
FPSbanana account: http://www.fpsbanana.com/members/subs/600760
Guardian (an aborted webcomic): http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~zcapac2/guardian/
portfolio/blog webpage: http://www.ezekel.dreamhosters.com

Contact Details:
- PM
- E-mail: ezekelfalcon-dreams [AT] yahoo [DOT] co [DOT] uk

Last edited by Ezekel on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Ezekel

Re: Ezekel Falcon - Level Design/Artist/Writing

Postby Jareh on Sun May 10, 2009 8:58 pm

40 views and no replies?

Oh well. I like most of your work, and I see that you have made plenty of maps, good work.

One thing though, perhaps you'd want to revise your thumbnail pictures for your maps, most of them don't really show anything about the map at all. Just a tip, though.

Good luck.
Jareh

Postby Ezekel on Mon May 11, 2009 1:54 am

Jareh wrote:One thing though, perhaps you'd want to revise your thumbnail pictures for your maps, most of them don't really show anything about the map at all. Just a tip, though.

what would you suggest in that regard? a top down view of the whole map? or perhaps simply more screenshots for each one? or something else?
Ezekel

Postby Elv02 on Mon May 11, 2009 2:35 am

I would include maybe 2 more screens for each. And try to include focal points in the map, instead of (in my opinion) a spur of the moment hey-I-feel-like-pressing-f5-now kind of shot.

Still, a solid collection of good work! Very nice.
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby oneups on Mon May 11, 2009 6:03 am

Not bad. To be honest, its clear that you know your way around Hammer but overall design is typically flat. There's not a lot of detail between maps, lots of sharp corners, open areas and not much thought into the overall flow of the map. I agree with Jareh that you should show areas of focus in your maps as opposed to spontaneous areas that aren't that interesting to look at. It's great that you've made so many maps, but focus on less maps with more polish. But again, building smaller maps more often is good practice, but don't expect a great response or for it to be portfolio worthy.

Your "textures" need work. Its either hard to read, or obvious that it was made using F5 or PrtScrn and a Photoshop filter. I can't imagine those posters/decals would add too much to the map. All the signs on the other hand (warming, ark incorporated, etc..) are nothing special, but most likely work within the map provided you have the appropriate details.

On to drawings. Not bad, not great. Practice is the only thing I'd suggest. Draw from reference, and draw often.

Otherwise it looks like you're on your way. Keep doing what you're doing till your shit kicks ass.
oneups
Regular
Regular

Postby Jareh on Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Ezekel wrote:
Jareh wrote:One thing though, perhaps you'd want to revise your thumbnail pictures for your maps, most of them don't really show anything about the map at all. Just a tip, though.

what would you suggest in that regard? a top down view of the whole map? or perhaps simply more screenshots for each one? or something else?

I was going to say the exact same as oneups, so follow his advise. :)
Jareh

Postby Ezekel on Wed May 13, 2009 1:12 pm

alright, screenshots are upated/changed to reflect areas of focus.
is that the sorta thing you guys meant by it?
Ezekel

Postby Jareh on Wed May 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Yep. Looks nice.
Jareh

Postby oneups on Wed May 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Yea much better. I'm still confused with the Underside map. I see one screen shot of the map and 2 of a wooden fence. Not entirely sure what it is. Presumably its a bridge? Try a shot from the inside or a different angle.

When we say areas of focus, we mean show us some screen shots of where most of the fighting will be happening. Control points (A,B,C,etc..) as well as areas that look nice. Show us areas that are going to make us say "hey this looks nice, and could be fun" but also give as an idea of the layout of the map.

Something I'd advise for your next map, or if you plan on reworking any of your current maps would be to ook at maps that you like Visually and look at maps that you enjoy in a Gamplay sense.

Notice how textures are laid out, how to group colors, and how to place props. Currently your maps are either empty with little detail, or have detail scattered in a random.

In your Rivercrossing map I see a chain fence, next to a pile of boulders (how did they get there, who put them there?) with another pile of logs. It makes no sense.

Set a theme for your map, think about why you put props in any particular location. Is a boulder there because it makes the map look better? Is your map in the woods/mountains? Does it help gameplay? Is it meant to be climbed on?

Similarly look at all your favorite maps in terms of pure fun. Why are they fun? Is it the layout of the map? The amount of buildings? How props or secondary objects like boulders are placed? Study up on popular preexisting maps first (Start with Valve's maps) and gather reference.

But yea, good job. Keep working.
oneups
Regular
Regular

Postby Ezekel on Thu May 14, 2009 2:31 pm

oneups wrote:Yea much better. I'm still confused with the Underside map. I see one screen shot of the map and 2 of a wooden fence. Not entirely sure what it is. Presumably its a bridge? Try a shot from the inside or a different angle.

When we say areas of focus, we mean show us some screen shots of where most of the fighting will be happening. Control points (A,B,C,etc..) as well as areas that look nice. Show us areas that are going to make us say "hey this looks nice, and could be fun" but also give as an idea of the layout of the map.

Something I'd advise for your next map, or if you plan on reworking any of your current maps would be to ook at maps that you like Visually and look at maps that you enjoy in a Gamplay sense.

Notice how textures are laid out, how to group colors, and how to place props. Currently your maps are either empty with little detail, or have detail scattered in a random.

In your Rivercrossing map I see a chain fence, next to a pile of boulders (how did they get there, who put them there?) with another pile of logs. It makes no sense.

Set a theme for your map, think about why you put props in any particular location. Is a boulder there because it makes the map look better? Is your map in the woods/mountains? Does it help gameplay? Is it meant to be climbed on?

Similarly look at all your favorite maps in terms of pure fun. Why are they fun? Is it the layout of the map? The amount of buildings? How props or secondary objects like boulders are placed? Study up on popular preexisting maps first (Start with Valve's maps) and gather reference.

But yea, good job. Keep working.

in all my maps i pay strong attention to what i like seeing visually and from a gameplay point of view on maps that i've played before. - i'd be unable to make maps if i wasn't making something i felt would be enjoyable an visually appealing.
i don't really understand what you're referring to regarding texture/prop placement. - i don't place them randomly, and i try to mix what looks good with what also gives a good gameplay environment.

regarding the rivercrossing comment: the chainlink fence is a model that players are able to quickly associate with "i cannot go beyond here". - although strictly speaking it does not fit perfectly with the theme around it, i felt that making a clear definition of the boundary of the play area was an important idea (particularly since there's a building whose roof is accessible right next to it, and thus a player may otherwise believe that they can scale whatever other obstacle is there).

regarding map theme: i'd say that (with the exception of roundhouse), i had a distinct theme in mind for each of them, and stuck with it. with rivercrossing the theme i had in mind was the river, and of course the target for the payload - the fuel tanker.
by extension that led to an alpine map, because i felt that the other environments available would not do the river justice.
prop placement stems from there. for example: i knew i'd want to lean on the pine tree models, and by extension have logging related ideas on the map. at the same time transportation of the wood produced, in my mind, was either train or boat. since the river was to have bridges, i didn't think boats would be appropriate.
the boulders/rocks are placed more predominantly on the hills either side of the river, as in my mind, the river over years carved through what was once a small gap in the hills, into what is there today.
rocks in the river continue that idea.
underside was literally a case of: why not do a CTF experience with a "you die if you fall off" situation + after reading/contributing in a long debate over why CTF is considered less popular than other game modes within TF2. as a result, more of the game is spent in combat for the flags in the centre, rather than a 2fort-esque experience where you have to try hard to break-in to the enemy's base. my belief was people would enjoy it more and feel they were able to accomplish something if the flags spent more time being carried than being babysat in the bases (either from stopping the carrier, or from being the carrier).
i also think that people have a natural inclination for maps that don't feel tight/claustrophobic - and the bridge theme definetly makes the map feel open, even though it's not.
trainsurfer's underlying idea was to expand on a concept i enjoy very much but felt could be expanded upon. - namely the trains in cp_well/ctf_well/arena_well. - environmental hazards, with a touch of randomness adds a certain light heartedness to a gameplay experience. added to this was a new idea of using the trains as a mode of transport. the result is a map that players can enjoy, although not really something that can be used in a competitive environment (due to the nature of random events).
devil's brew is built from an idea i've long had in the back of my mind - control points that move dependant on the owner. this is in a sense similar to having paths that open/close to reward a team for doing well. the whole concept is of the idea of rewarding a team for pushing forward, which is something i considered to be lacking from valve standard CP maps (i rarely see a losing team do anything but sit on the final point in cp_well or granary, or in any custom made cp map either. often this is just frustrating for both teams as neither can advance without considerable coordination - a rare commodity in internet games)
roundhouse had a less concrete theme. i considered the maps that existed and noticed there weren't many single stage dustbowl-style maps. at the same time i wanted a map that offered many buildings that were actually enterable as part of the map's gameplay. finally, i studied maps, such as dustbowl, and decided i wanted to have A: different layouts that favoured different classes for both sides for each point, B: i wanted every point to have at least 2 (or 1 very wide) attack paths - to avoid the choke of dustbowl stage3 point1, and C: to have a reason to explain why blu team would be so close to red base in the 1st place. (i.e. that blue team was supposely the security of a secret facility).
the addition of the train was purely to add a degree of risk to the quickest route between the first point and the latter parts of the map, so that people wouldn't totally ignore other options.
finally mainframe: i've nothing to say really. it's a blocky, incredibly simple map, with very little in the way of models. it's primary goal is to be a pilot map for the game mode. having said that - if things work out, i would like to either remake it from scratch with a fresh theme, or to cultivate the industrial/spytech theme already present.

now the structures themselves: i've noticed a certain style to tf2 (valve) maps, which is that the structures are not rigidly enforced to be structurally sound, and to even contain elements that look good but don't make sense if you were to consider them. i believe this to be acceptible as part of the stylised nature of the game. and admittedly you can make more interesting looking structures and gameplay areas when you do this yourself. - this is why i've, for example, included loading areas near the river of rivercrossing, even though in reality you'd not be able to use them (as the bridges block both sides of the river).

although i have spent time referencing the valve maps, i don't always agree with the prop placement asthetic choices. however, when it came to mapping devil's brew - which was for a mapping contest where "staying true to the style of the game" was paramount, i put extra efforts into making something that looked like it could fit besides valve maps. i drew particularly heavily from cp_well when referencing.

for me, what makes a map fun is non-linearity, but also simple/easy-on-the-eye asthetics.
so i like maps which offer multiple paths either literally, or in terms of gameplay (e.g. cp_steel), but am turned away from maps/games with highly detailed asthetics (e.g. UT3).
to me the amount of buildings on a map is irrelevant. something like that is either gameplay directed or purely eyecandy. (e.g. ctf_turbine could have been set in a silver mine, or some robin-hood like forest hideaway, or in the middle of a shopping mall with sky scrapers towering over it, but the game would be just as fun).

i hope i've not come across venomous in response to your feedback - you took time to write it, and only wish to help me out to improve. i just felt that i should to offer something in response.
and regarding underside: i'll give it another shot to get some good screenshots for it.
Ezekel

Postby Psy on Sat May 16, 2009 10:36 pm

There's no denying that you know your way around Hammer but your maps are lacking and it seems that you prefer to go from project to project rather then actual bringing them all up to a certain polished level of quality.

Roundhouse

The building on the left is using a wooden board texture which looks wrong. It's like the building is simply one huge wooden block. You should of used a texture with horizontal boards.

The brick building has ridiculously thick roofs and they suddenly end in relation to the wall. I have never seen this in any TF2 map where typically the roof is 4 units thick and hangs over the edge of the wall. The garage doors are repetitive and could of had one of the many poster overlays added to them in order to break it up.

Your lighting is very wishy-washy especially in the 2nd pic where you seem to have some very pale yellow lights which simply don't look nice in TF2. This isn't helped by the fact that the building on the left looks like one huge wooden block. You should of used a texture comprised of wooden boards such as the ones seen in Badlands.

In the 3rd pic there is a lack of detail again. The cliffs are very flat and lifeless. Add some wooden rails, rocks, plants, trees, huge overhanging buildings, anything to help make it more then just a cliff! Again, the same problem exits with the roofs of buildings as seen in the 1st pic.

Trainsurfer

The cliffs are flat in a very odd way and over such a huge distance I would expect more shape to it then there currently is. Why are HL2 textures used for the bases? There are hundreds of TF2 textures; use them!

Underside

This isn't a visually appealing map and it lacks in contrast and definition. The map is mainly constructed of huge metal beams consisting of the same texture and it's just that. There are no visual focal points that would excite the players.

The interior is a mish-mash of textures and odd lighting. You've attempted to create a focus on the intel through a white spotlight but this is completely ruined by the glaring yellow spotlights everywhere else. When you're trying to get the player to focus on something the case is - often more then not - less is more.

Devils' Brew

This is better. A bit bland but it's better.

My main gripe is the lack of detail. Take the 3rd pic for example. There are places just waiting to be detailed! Add triangular supports under the walkway, pillars across the brick walls, vents along the low wall!

Rivercrossing

The buildings need more architectural make-up. In the last pic there is a red building with a huge flat wall. Pillars, beams, vents, signs, posters - add these and it will look so much better!

Final Thoughts

I know I may be coming off as a nit-picking doodoo head but this is the sort of stuff which jumps out at me. ;)

Focus on finishing your maps properly. You say you pay attention to the detail in Valve's maps but it doesn't show in your work. Invest a little more time and you will start to make some fantastic maps.

Good luck. :)
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Sat May 16, 2009 11:40 pm

Can I just add, you don't need to add [/*] at the end of every list item. It's breaking the page when you look through the portfolio section :smt023
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Generalvivi on Mon May 18, 2009 4:59 am

looking good man! Keep on working hard :)
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby Ezekel on Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 am

Blink wrote:Can I just add, you don't need to add [/*] at the end of every list item. It's breaking the page when you look through the portfolio section :smt023

fixed :)

and thx vivi :)
Ezekel

Postby Ezekel on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:43 pm

horah for housekeeping.
reordered the maps so the newest stuff is at the top, corrected some mistakes, added matlab to my list of skills, and updated the textures list.
at least now this is pretty up to date with my website :)
Ezekel

Next

Return to Portfolios