Au-heppa - Game Design/Level Design/Modelling/Coding

Interlopers Portfolio section.

Portfolio rating

3.80 out of 5 (5 ratings)

You must be registered and logged in to rate a portfolio!

Au-heppa - Game Design/Level Design/Modelling/Coding

Postby Au-heppa on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Name: Tero Knuutinen
Interested in: Finding a job on the gaming industry.

I started experimenting with Level Design first time with the original Wolfenstein 3D level editor. I went crazy over Duke Nukem 3d's Build. I wasn't a big part of Half-Life 1 community, but when Half-Life 2 came out, I started experimenting with the SDK right away. As I already knew how to code with C++ I looked into how the AI works in Source. After I found out that the XSI Mod Tool was free I started to teach myself how to model.

Human Error: In Human Error Episode One I was the lead designer. I did pretty much everything from coding, modelling, level design, texturing, and to putting the mod together. I am currently working on designing HE Episode Two, as well as Human Error Co-op (which includes the Traitor Mode).

Some of my skills:
  • C++ and a lot of experience with things like AI, weapons, vehicles, and hud in Source
  • Modelling, texturing, animating in Softimage's XSI Mod Tool
  • Photoshop
  • Hammer (especially entity work), Face Poser, and generally scripting things like NPC response rules
  • Designing a mod, its story and gameplay, from the start

I created all the NPCs in Human Error myself from the scratch (with the exception of the concept and sound). Making the model in XSI, texturing it, animating it, and the bringing it into life with code, is perhaps one of the things I enjoy the most, with creating gameplay and working on Faceposer.

Image Image Image

Note that the maps (and particularly their aesthetics) in Human Error were a collaboration of multiple level designers.

Image Image
Image Image

You can download Human Error from our website hlssmod.net or Moddb page. In Human Error you play as a Civil Protection officer against the Xenians (Vortigaunts, Alien Grunts, and Alien Controllers). As your help you have things like a drivable Combine APC, controllable Manhacks, the rest of the Civil Protections team, and more. All these are to create a new experience in the Half-Life universe.

Human Error Co-op is my latest project. It started as an attempt to make my own AI Director (or atleast dynamic NPC spawning) like in L4D. Later after playing the Battlestar Galactica board game came Traitor Mode. I did coding, gameplay design, and made the second map, tr_leech, that you can see in the final part of the video.

Image Image
Last edited by Au-heppa on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Au-heppa
Regular
Regular

Re: Au-heppa - Game Design/Level Design/Modelling/Coding

Postby mrfranswa on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:33 pm

It's good you have trailers, however whenever you go to interview for a level design position, you should focus on the job at hand. Companies prefer non-gameplay demo reels. These allow them to see what your rendered environments actually look like without the hud jargon. You also need to separate out your work from your teams work. Otherwise how would your interviewer know what is yours, and what isn't!
mrfranswa
Regular
Regular

Postby Au-heppa on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm

I am better at gameplay and entity work than aesthetics, so I think showing gameplay footage or giving a link to the actual mod is better. All the character models are done by me, I removed the screenshots of Eloise and Noah, because I used a program to generate the mesh original high polygon version for them. That's not to say that I didn't have to do work on the texture, facial expressions, and generally make the model work in Source. Larson and Olivia as well as the Alien Grunt, Alien Controller, Mantaray, and Combine Air Defense models are 100% by me.

As for the maps, the third chapter aesthetics (most of the screenshots) are mostly me. I think my strongest point is knowing how all the entities work, how to model, animate, export, and compile a character model, and then code an AI. Sometimes I wonder if I should focus on one specific thing more, like modelling or level aesthetics, but it wasn't really an option when working on Human Error.
Au-heppa
Regular
Regular

Postby Au-heppa on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:20 am

Added some HE Coop stuff.
Au-heppa
Regular
Regular

Return to Portfolios