Making a Portfolio?

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Making a Portfolio?

Postby Epifire on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:07 am

Earlier today I played my first mod/map release with some of the guys that were in the Interlopers Steam Chat. I am slowly working my way up in level design, and now that I have my first bit of mod material, I started thinking about a Portfolio.

So then that presented the thought of, how on earth do I make a Internet Portfolio? Your looking at the guy who didn't know how to make an E-mail two years ago. :?

I might know a decent amount of Source knowledge, but I never have really done anything Internet related beside posting on forums and such. I guess I am really asking how is it you construct your own Online Portfolio, from the ground up? Remember, I really have never done anything like this so lets just start with the basics, and work from there.
Epifire

Re: Making a Portfolio?

Postby LordDz on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:31 am

LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:57 am

Well that is a start for here at Interlopers, but I was thinking along the lines of creating my own internet page like I see most people do. Nothing wrong with the site here, I just may not always have Source related mods that correspond with this site's theme.

I know most people just have a page, and maybe a few tabs relating to other categories in their developer skills. How is it I would go about setting up a web page, and all that good stuff? I have some general ideas on how to, and where to look, but I just thought I would get your guys's opinions first.
Epifire

Postby Jordash on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:58 am

Firstly, make sure you have enough content to demand it's own website, if you've only done one map I'm not sure it requires a portfolio any more complicated than an interlopers one, but if you decide you want to, here are some tips:

You'll need a domain (www.whatever.com/.net) and webspace (the server where the data is accessed from), each you can buy in year long blocks from any webhosting company.

But, before you do that you should have your website done. I use dreamweaver, but there are a number of free programs out there and you could even use notepad, if you learnt how to.

Have a look at some other portfolios and write a lsit of what you like and don't like about each, then use that to get an idea of what you want from your site. I usually mock it up in photoshop then build it from that, adding in any extra features along the way (java drop down menus, lightbox, etc).

Remember to design your site to be easy to update, you don't want to spend hours adding new content each time if you don't have to. Also be selective on the content, no one wants to see boring images on your site, it should be your best work.
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Devi123 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:12 am

I know most people just have a page, and maybe a few tabs relating to other categories in their developer skills. How is it I would go about setting up a web page, and all that good stuff? I have some general ideas on how to, and where to look, but I just thought I would get your guys's opinions first.
Kick
Devi123
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Syphon on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:48 am

When is was working on my portfolio I found this really helpful: http://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

Other than that I went for a layered approach:

- What does someone see when they look at my portfolio at an application (around 5-10 seconds): Cool images, a clear list of my achievements as bullet points for every project.

- What does someone see when I peaked their interest and they are considering me (up to 5 minutes): Clearly convey the skills so that they have a very clear image of what I have to offer. I did this by writing articles about my projects that give insight in to how I achieved the points they already read in the initial viewing.

This is how it ended up on my portfolio: http://www.jethrojongeneel.com I found referencing other's folios and finding out what I liked about them crucial.
Syphon
Regular
Regular

Return to Web Design & Development