Portfolio site in progress - feedback please

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Portfolio site in progress - feedback please

Postby abathor on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:47 pm

This is my first attempt at a website from scratch, and when I started, I pretty much had no fucking idea what I was doing. But it seems to have turned out okay. I don't know how to host on my local network at the minute, so just screenshots for now. I'd like to know what you all think of the colour scheme, layout, proportions, etc.

Comments, suggestions, critique, praise, and personal insults all welcome. Thank you for your time!
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Portfolio site in progress - feedback please

Postby mky on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:17 pm

I like it except for the link bar (thingy), it doesn't seem as simple as everything else and is kind of out of place. That might just be me though.

It looks really nice for your first site from scratch. :)
mky
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:02 pm

mky wrote:I like it except for the link bar (thingy), it doesn't seem as simple as everything else and is kind of out of place. That might just be me though.

Yeah, either simplify that bar, or (better yet imho) make a better banner.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby abathor on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:43 pm

zombie@computer wrote:
mky wrote:I like it except for the link bar (thingy), it doesn't seem as simple as everything else and is kind of out of place. That might just be me though.

Hmm, how do you mean 'simplify' it'? As for the banner, that's really just a placeholder, I will think of something much better when the rest of the work is done.
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby punky on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 pm

abathor wrote:
zombie@computer wrote:

Hmm, how do you mean 'simplify' it'? As for the banner, that's really just a placeholder, I will think of something much better when the rest of the work is done.

if it would be a bit flatter, and bigger it would fit in better I think...
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby travo925 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:10 pm

Why do you display the date on the website? As its design is so simple and clean, it seems a bit superfluous.
travo925
Regular
Regular

Postby abathor on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:13 pm

travo925 wrote:Why do you display the date on the website? As its design is so simple and clean, it seems a bit superfluous.

I was thinking that myself. I might drop it, but I wanted to show that I can use at least some basic javascript. I suppose if it doesn't add to the site, I might leave it out.
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Jitterbug on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:50 pm

Looking good so far, but that font and look of the page selection bar needs a desperate change. Right now it doesn't fit in at all.
Jitterbug
Regular
Regular

Postby abathor on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Update! I've redesigned it somewhat, and updated the content. Opinions please! :-)

abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Berusadeankan on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:40 am

I like this one alot more, nice work!

Add some padding between those links in the menu, and change the font to Verdana. But that's just how i would have done it ;>
Berusadeankan
Regular
Regular

Postby Blink on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:21 am

I'm gonna be honest and say it looks incredibly boring. One significant way to improve it will be the use of decent fonts.

Ditch those boring windows fonts out of your banner and use something more creative - http://www.dafont.com

Also, no one uses Times new Roman for web fonts, especially not for main navigation, so consider changing that to something nicer like Verdana or Trebuchet MS - http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

Maybe think about a gradiant behind your content, or maybe some drop shadow. Just something to bring that centre box out a little bit.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby jister on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:18 am

have to agree with blink. well you probably did a good job, first time you made one and all, but you still want a kickass portfolio site, so...
imo it needs more design and artistic personal touch, don't forget your selling yourself as a person set with a skillset that includes design.
have a look at some of your favorite site and try to be inspired (steal bits) by them.
maybe start by using a seamless texture in your background.
think who it's for, just your friends? than it can be sloppy and funny, is it more for the outside world trying to get work? than see that a mature attitude reflects from it... i.e. drop the welcome to the portfolio website of me, grant sykes.
also maybe make it abit less centered, unless you take it to an extreme and use it as a design concept.
hope this helps a bit...
here are some of my favorites:
http://www.richardmax.sk/
http://www.kotelnikoff.com/
http://www.3dartisan.net/~kuman/
http://www.inkcg.com/
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby abathor on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks for your honest feedback people! Sad face.jpg that you find it looks boring, but remember it's only a WIP, and I'm going for a clean and professional design. :)

I have immediately changed the main font to Verdana, it looks better already! As for the banner, you're right, I suppose better fonts would help. Further art and design touches will of course be added in time, but it's all an incremental process. I think it looks a lot better than my original design already.

jister wrote:is it more for the outside world trying to get work? than see that a mature attitude reflects from it... i.e. drop the welcome to the portfolio website of me, grant sykes....

Jister, what would you recommend I say instead of "welcome to the...."

Thanks again people!
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Blink on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby abathor on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Blink wrote:Always ditch Happy Talk - http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000163.html

Cheers Blink. Looks like I still have a lot to learn. :oops:
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Next

Return to Web Design & Development