flash

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

flash

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:20 pm

hey all,

ive been looking into some interactiveness on a site (tutorial for interlopers :smt023 ), and im thinking about using flash for it (as opposed to a java applet). Only problem is, that i have absolutely no experience with flash...

I need to be able to do the following:

1) draw an image
2) a command window like output
3) draw lines
4) calculate whether a line intersects another line.
5) recolor simple graphics
6) capture and use mouse motions+clicks

They are all basic functions imho, and, as far as i understand i need actionscript for that. Im positive i can handle the actionscript basics (through experience in other languages), but without a basic knowledge of flash im lost. I was hoping i wasnt going to be needing too much knowledge of flash to create basic shapes, colors and code, but im even lost in finding an editor for this all.

So, can anyone help me out? Personal help, editors, tutorials ?
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
User avatar
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Lent, Netherlands

Re: flash

Postby source-maps on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:27 pm

a good buddy of mine is into flash and I always see him browsing on this site:
http://www.flashfiles.nl/
User avatar
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: flash

Postby JakeParlay on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:38 pm

i'm pretty handy with Flash. I don't have a real great mind for coding so I am much stronger with design work and keyframing rather than actionscript (although I can slug through the basics.. invoke and use classes, buttons, navigation, etc)

let me know if I can help. what you're describing actionscript-wise is over my head, but if you'd like a hand with the interface, etc let me know. my favorite email is on the front page of my site/blog/whatev if you want to get a hold of me
User avatar
JakeParlay
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: flash

Postby abathor on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:24 pm

How hard is flash to learn, compared to say, c# programming or 3D modelling? Maybe that's a dumb question. Also, is it worth learning?
User avatar
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r
 
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: England

Re: flash

Postby punky on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:01 pm

abathor wrote:How hard is flash to learn, compared to say, c# programming or 3D modelling? Maybe that's a dumb question. Also, is it worth learning?

I can tell you, I learnt the basics of Flash by watching some simple tutorials on the internet when I was about 13-14 so I guess it's not really hard to learn since I'm not exactly a mastermind. It will take you some effort to get used to it, but in the end you will really like the program; I still have tons of little animations and vectors lying around here :p
Image
User avatar
punky
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Belgium

Re: flash

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:09 pm

i only just downloaded a trial of macromedia flash MX, its really easy to use, but absolutely horrific if you are used to languages like C#. Some things work soo unnatural, its nauseating...

Still, after only an hour or so ive got the basics going. Its easy to use, i should be able to finish within the 30 day timelimit :p
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
User avatar
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Lent, Netherlands

Re: flash

Postby abathor on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:12 pm

zombie@computer wrote:i only just downloaded a trial of macromedia flash MX, its really easy to use, but absolutely horrific if you are used to languages like C#. Some things work soo unnatural, its nauseating...

Still, after only an hour or so ive got the basics going. Its easy to use, i should be able to finish within the 30 day timelimit :p


So flash has its own programming language? Or is it more like a scripting language? Or is it more like HTML/CSS?
User avatar
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r
 
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: England

Re: flash

Postby JakeParlay on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:14 pm

correct, flash does have it's own language... Here's the rundown, the two major players are:

  • actionscript 2.0 is found in flash CS2 and before (including all the Macromedia iterations) and I would call it a pretty robust scripting language. Even though 2.0 was replaced around 2007 (see below), it's still widely used and fully supported
  • actionscript 3.0 is found in adobe flash CS3 and beyond. Actionscript 3.0 is a pretty comprehensive overhaul from 2.0, and it's a marked departure from a more scripting language to a more robust, object orientated programming language. C#/C++ coder would probably be more "at home" with actionscript 3.0

There are other version floating around, too. There's a "lite" version for use on mobile phone apps, and there are more primitive actionscript versions (1.0) etc, but those are antiquated by now
User avatar
JakeParlay
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: flash

Postby abathor on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:59 pm

JakeParlay wrote:correct, flash does have it's own language... Here's the rundown, the two major players are:

  • actionscript 2.0 is found in flash CS2 and before (including all the Macromedia iterations) and I would call it a pretty robust scripting language. Even though 2.0 was replaced around 2007 (see below), it's still widely used and fully supported
  • actionscript 3.0 is found in adobe flash CS3 and beyond. Actionscript 3.0 is a pretty comprehensive overhaul from 2.0, and it's a marked departure from a more scripting language to a more robust, object orientated programming language. C#/C++ coder would probably be more "at home" with actionscript 3.0

There are other version floating around, too. There's a "lite" version for use on mobile phone apps, and there are more primitive actionscript versions (1.0) etc, but those are antiquated by now


Thanks!
User avatar
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r
 
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: England

Re: flash

Postby mat_de_b on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:22 pm

At the bottom of this page is a HUGE amount of action script tutorials:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/229808/52

And there are more AS3 ones here
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/695818/6
User avatar
mat_de_b
Pheropod
Pheropod
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: flash

Postby aaron_da_killa on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:08 am

I'm working on a platform game in Flash 9/AS3 at the moment and I can give you some advice if you like.

The art side of flash is easy and you should be able to pick it up in no time, basically you have bitmap images and you convert them to symbols (movieclip or button, might be others but I can't remember) to be able to handle them in the code and whatnot.

If your having problems with the programming side of things I recommend you check this place out. They have interesting articles and tutorials plus active and helpful forums.

Anyway, I strongly recommend that if you want flash for a website, have flash elements like a flash menu, separate flash banner etc. Having the whole website in packed together in flash can be tedious and time consuming to maintain.
User avatar
aaron_da_killa
Regular
Regular
 
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:45 am
Location: Australia

Return to Web Design & Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users