C# or C++

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

C# or C++

Postby Mathieu on Sat May 02, 2009 1:37 am

What is a better language for a multiplayer game or just game in general.
Save A Tree, Eat A Beaver.
Mathieu
Regular
Regular

Re: C# or C++

Postby Sacul15 on Sat May 02, 2009 2:38 am

You can do more with C++, but C# is a great language to start with. Try out XNA.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby abathor on Sat May 02, 2009 7:22 am

Mathieu wrote:What is a better language for a multiplayer game or just game in general.

I prefer c# but C++ is still pretty much the de-facto standard for coding in games, although I've heard that c# is gaining ground recently.
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby AndyMacK on Sat May 02, 2009 10:27 am

If you plan to sell it, I'd suggest C++.
Infact, hell, I'd suggest C++ all the way.

-C++
AndyMacK
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Surfa on Sat May 02, 2009 12:39 pm

I believe it really depends on the platform you wish to release the game onto for xbox 360(XNA with c#) (unless you are insanely rich); ipod/iphone(objective-c); pc(c++/c#) (really depends on the user.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby supaste on Sat May 02, 2009 1:33 pm

I think you are better off learning C++ because it's just standard, anything you learn here you should be able to transfer to C# anyway.
supaste
Regular
Regular

Postby ghost12332 on Sat May 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Most languages are based off, or very similar to C++, so start with that.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby Sacul15 on Sat May 02, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm going to sort of change my vote. If you don't have experience in either language, learn C++. Basically every important language is directly based off it or at least has some C++ elements. If you know the languages and are wanting to start programming specifically for games, go with C#. XNA is great- it lets you develop for PC, Xbox 360, and Zune, or all three at the same time if you design your game right. I don't know much about DirectX or any of the other standard libraries used for games, so I'll refer you to the more experienced users if that is where you want to be heading.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Sat May 02, 2009 4:47 pm

If you dont know either language, go c#. its MUCH easier to learn, and a lot faster to yield results. c# is actually a very fun language. Coding c is like a eating a cake, only c# doesnt make you fat, c++ does.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby boedy on Tue May 05, 2009 7:03 am

At university I just started learning #C. Next trimester will start with c++. My advise is too start with #C, although it has fewer options, you will learn the basics in C. You should buy a book about #C or C++ programming and not just using the internet. It speeds up your learning process bigtime! It did for me anyway.
boedy

Postby zombie@computer on Tue May 05, 2009 7:59 am

boedy wrote:At university I just started learning #C. Next trimester will start with c++. My advise is too start with #C, although it has fewer options, you will learn the basics in C. You should buy a book about #C or C++ programming and not just using the internet. It speeds up your learning process bigtime! It did for me anyway.
What uni / study ?

Anyway, on the subject, c# is easy, c/c++ requires more thinking for doing the same things. Take your pick.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby TheBlackKnight on Tue May 05, 2009 8:08 am

If you never programmed before, start with a managed language; get your baring, figure out how a computer program works, how to break down real world problems and solve them with a program;
Then move on to the unmanaged world and enjoy pointer arithmetic.
TheBlackKnight

Postby boedy on Tue May 05, 2009 8:27 am

zombie@computer wrote:What uni / study ?

Anyway, on the subject, c# is easy, c/c++ requires more thinking for doing the same things. Take your pick.

As I see your dutch, I'm doing Technische informatica on HBO level in delft.
boedy

Postby blackdeath on Fri May 08, 2009 10:14 pm

well the answer is C++ but i'm not sure what to say to this.

um, well, see the thing is that it really has nothing to do with what language you pick (until you know what you're doing, and, even then, its usually irrelevant). most (good) programmers will write in any language necessary because they eventually reach a point where they realize how all languages are basically the same. it's not unusual for decent programmers to know 10 or 20 languages.

therefore, what's important is just picking up the basics, and then keep improving that.

if you don't know what you're really doing and are just trying to figure out how to program, honestly, i'd say BASIC. not visual basic. BASIC. try it out for a week or two. i know, i know, it's noob mode but it's a decent and forgiving intro. and you really really really shouldn't start on either C# or C++. there's too much going on to get a sense of the fundamentals.

if you're still excited after BASIC you'll figure out what works. python (for ease), lisp (for the math) , and C (for the mechanics) are really good foundations.

the best language to start on is scheme/lisp but most people need a professor and a class to really get the most out of it so it's kind of a moot point.

um. i don't think i'm being helpful but i've been writing code for 18 years so all I can say is that the language is not important, what is important is whether you really want to learn it or not, and, after learning some, realizing that it's just all the same crap with different syntax.
blackdeath
Regular
Regular

Postby Spike on Fri May 08, 2009 10:32 pm

C# is slooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww for a videogame.
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Next

Return to Web Design & Development