noob needs help with webhosting

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

noob needs help with webhosting

Postby skoften on Wed May 13, 2009 12:30 pm

So i've just aquired my first webhost service, wich is a crappy server somewhere at one.com. Some php functions are disabled, only 1 ftp account but 25gig space and no bandwith limit.

My friends and i made a site wich is a .psd atm. I have installed Drupal on the server and it works fine. I want to let 7 users create the content on the site, this includes articles, photos and videos. A simple admin page for the users to create content and a search button somewhere. Pretty simple, i quess, with drupal.

But what do you guys suggest ?! I'm running into a few issues. I want to have it all organized. Users can log-in, upload there own picture, video or article. But there is only 1ftp account? so users have to upload there own content in the right folder, and then i would have to make a script that searches the contents of that folder ?! More issues: I have no idea how to make a Drupal template. Would you suggest making this all in Drupal or is it best to just learn php and build it bare, since i only need to know the basics to get this working ( right? it's a pretty simple site ). Or maybe use Wordpress!

Lots of questions, give me a push in the right direction :( My friends want to have this site online ASAP

Edit: I switched to Wordpress.
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: noob needs help with webhosting

Postby Blink on Wed May 13, 2009 6:23 pm

I would say use wordpress yes, as you have chosen. Far easier. Your users can upload via the admin area.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: noob needs help with webhosting

Postby Surfa on Wed May 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Blink wrote:I would say use wordpress yes, as you have chosen. Far easier. Your users can upload via the admin area.

Yes good choice on wordpress when I used it a while ago it the instructions were very helful. Also the interface felt clean and it is easy to use.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Web Design & Development