feedback on website concept

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Re: feedback on website concept

Postby RefaelBA on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Hey there here are my two cents.

Hinting the users the flash is interactive: I would say, before the user even touches anything, make the lines seem "floating" on loading. I mean, move them slightly left and right, make them seem "grabbable".

Hinting the users about geometry: How about you simply draw in some faint color ALL the possible options at once, hence creating a very big and complex shape onto which the user will drag the lines and place them in different shapes? I would also suggest that the lines would "snap" to the lines of the faint shape in the background while playing a clear sound.

Give them a choice: How about making a mysterious preloader, that would lure the visitor to go through the puzzle, but will also give him the choice to jump straight to the content if he wanted? Let's say a visitor returns to your site to show a video to a friend, he wouldn't remember the exact combination that led to that specific video. I think that either way, you should put up a "normal" website that would allow for easy access. That doesn't mean that you can't make the option of going through the puzzle seem very lucrative!
RefaelBA

Postby jister on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:42 am

ok thx again refael, these are some idea's i can live with... their not taking the visitor by the hand but also don't leave him completely blank.

thx for all the input guys, and me saying that the design section wasn't lopers strongest point... :oops:
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby theblahman on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:59 am

rewKe gave some great advice. Nice one rewKe!

I'd agree with all the other naysayers regarding the puzzle, it's just annoying. I looked, I waited about 10 seconds for a possible loading scene, then read the other posts to find out that it's actually a puzzle. Cool idea, but don't keep it. Or, if you do, give a hint! There's no suggestion that the lines/circles are a puzzle, only someone hanging around moving the mouse around everywhere would find out!

Once the puzzle was solved all I got was a picture... yay. Closed it after that. You need something going for the website, rather than a secret puzzle and image! I don't mean to sound harsh but that's the truth. Usability is your friend, now use it! (pun definitely intended!)

I'd also suggest leaning away from Flash, just because, personally I hate Flash. Plus JavaScript blockers will hide it. Also, iPhone/iPod touch users can't use the site :(

Anyway, good luck with it! Feel free to chuck me a PM if you want any help!
I design (v4.1 released 23/2) and Tweet.
theblahman
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby jister on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:43 pm

thx blahman. well the pages behind all the different combination haven't been made yet.
overall reactions are a bit the same, so i'll surly work out the suggestions.
but i like flash a lot and think i will stick to using it, after all like i said before, there will be a link to our myspace so people who dislike flash can go there.
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Previous

Return to Web Design & Development