Suggestions regarding new website

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Suggestions regarding new website

Postby krainert on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Hey thar,

http://www.ovrkll.com/ is getting old so I'm knitting up a new website. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly exceptionally spectacularly skilled in front-end web design so I may need some help.
My current concept is http://www.ovrkll.com/private/v3//http://www.ovrkll.com/private/v3/map.html, but that has two major disadvantages: The image/text ratio on the front page isn't nearly high enough, and the user has to click his way to more details for each map.
So, this is the current layout (simplified for your convenience): http://www.ovrkll.com/private/concept1.jpg.
This is what I'm considering replacing it with: http://www.ovrkll.com/private/concept2.jpg.
What do you think?

EDIT:
Notice how text is completely eliminated on the second layout. In case I need a summary I'm thinking of using dynamic effect - letting a text box appear over either the smaller screenshots or the bottom part of the larger one. Opinions? :)
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Suggestions regarding new website

Postby city14 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:21 pm

I would say, use the second concept, and move the game title to the middle, and place an info button for your dynamics on the right side! Are you using a database, or just html and java? Flash as well, or not?
coder0xff wrote:I wonder if Gabe ever lies in bed at night, thinking about all the fat jokes, and just cries himself to sleep, wiping his tears away with one-thousand dollar bills.
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby krainert on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Thanks for the reply.
First of all, I'm using PHP with MySQL, and the front-end is based on pure HTML, CSS and JS - no Flash, Silverlight or likewise browserapps.
Second, yes, I've decided to go with something like my second suggestion (as you suggested). About placing the title in the middle, I've thought about it, but the length of the text for the game for which the map is made will most likely be rather long... Here's an illustration of the problem (http://www.ovrkll.com/private/title.jpg):
I figure placing an info or download link next to the title would result in a problematic lack of balance - if there's even enough room for everything. Thus, I'm afraid placing the link topmost is not an option... Unless, of course, somebody comes up with a solution to the spacing problem.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby city14 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:21 am

I was thinking that it could be un-balanced... But, I was unsure as to how you could put the info in without it being along the top, as the rest of the layout looks full...
coder0xff wrote:I wonder if Gabe ever lies in bed at night, thinking about all the fat jokes, and just cries himself to sleep, wiping his tears away with one-thousand dollar bills.
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby krainert on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 am

Yes, it's quite a puzzle. However, I do have an idea for to possible solutions. Either info could pop up once the user holds the cursor above a Download button bottom-most (which may seem confusing) - or I could place an info button next to the download one... One moment!

*EDIT*
Here (http://www.ovrkll.com/private/concept2.1.jpg):
How does that look?
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby city14 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Great! I like that one, you got the info as like a tiny image, not the whole text, and it still makes sense for the layout! Good! Go with that!
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby krainert on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:45 pm

Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.ovrkll.com/private/v3/

What do you think?
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby city14 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 pm

Nice! I like it, but, it lack some color variance. The buttons for downloading are just, bland. Maybe try bolding some text, so that it stands out. And try to create the shadow effect to the sides of the main table that holds the body?

Other than some color choices and small aesthetics, the layout looks awesome! Good job!
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby krainert on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Great, thanks for the reply. The current material is all about the basic layout, and colors and such will be applied properly later.
Personally I'm not sure if I like all of the empty space between elements of the same map. It seems a bit distracting... Any opinions?
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 am

Personally i think the layout is waay to square / uniform, compared to eg. your logo

not completely sure if the layout i see is correct, the site shows up invalid in both firefox 3.0 and IE 6.0 (im at work, they dont have any other IE ;p )
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Blink on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:42 am

On the code side it's a serious case of divitis, you've got them absolutely everywhere! Also your JS should be abstracted from the HTML into an external file.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04 ... -div-hell/
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby vcool on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 am

To be perfectly honest, I like the old layout. So that's the one you have now. I don't like the colours much, but I like the fading menus, placing of the menu. Looks very clean and professional.

just my 2c.

If you really want criticism though, I say V3 looks fine but in Firefox the Contact Me is displayed in the top right corner of my screen, not where it is supposed to be at. The menu bar could perhaps be more flat and sleek, rather than the fake 3D cylinder extrusion thing.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby krainert on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:55 am

There, people questioning my work - finally! ;)

zombie@computer
Actually the block concept (blocking all elements concerning each map together) is meant to simplify the layout and make it easy for the user to figure out what belongs where... But I'm not exactly a pro web designer, and frankly I can't really imagine how you could make it less blocky? Using round buttons, perhaps?

Blink
I don't think you're looking at the right site :) All JS is located in global.js. Oh, and the correct link is http://www.ovrkll.com/private/v3/.

vcool
I like many things about my current website as well, but the problem is that content is very hard to find - navigation is too complicated. Thus, I'm making a much more simplistic site with visual images from the very first page.
"in Firefox the Contact Me is displayed in the top right corner of my screen, not where it is supposed to be at"
That's exactly where it's supposed to be ;) You don't like it / why?
"The menu bar could perhaps be more flat and sleek, rather than the fake 3D cylinder extrusion thing."
Hm, I rather like it, but I may consider changing it at a later point.

Thanks for the replies.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Blink on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:29 pm

I am looking at the right site.

Code: Select all
<body onload="Initialize()";>
      <div id="contact" onmouseover="Contact_Show()" onmouseout="Contact_Hide()">

You've got your functions mized in with the HTML, which is a very old fashioned way to do things nowadays but it still works I guess :P

And there are 21 <div> elements on the page, which seems wildy excessive. You've even got a few empty ones. Personally I would find more semantic HTML to use but not everyone is as obsessive as me.

:-)
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Blink wrote:I am looking at the right site.

Code: Select all
<body onload="Initialize()";>
      <div id="contact" onmouseover="Contact_Show()" onmouseout="Contact_Hide()">

You've got your functions mized in with the HTML, which is a very old fashioned way to do things nowadays but it still works I guess :P

And there are 21 <div> elements on the page, which seems wildy excessive. You've even got a few empty ones. Personally I would find more semantic HTML to use but not everyone is as obsessive as me.

:-)

well, if the definition of 'new fashion' is to put everything in jquery, id prefer the old fashion :wink:
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Next

Return to Web Design & Development